• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PDT (Please Don't Tell) -- St. Marks Place.

johnder

The guys at PDT made our table 3 Raymus Gin Fizzes the other day, for which I give them insane props.  Those drinks aren't easy to make.  We also tried a good portion of the rest of the menu.  I'm in love with the No. 8 (really complex and layered).

So you're the trouble maker! :hmmm:

We had 3 more orders for them at the bar once people saw us making them for your table...

one request was for "that drink that's supposed to take twelve minutes to shake."

grrrrr...

that Staggerac is simply awesome...

is the absinthe Eduoard 72?

I can neither confirm nor deny this.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

The guys at PDT made our table 3 Ramos Gin Fizzes the other day, for which I give them insane props.  Those drinks aren't easy to make.  We also tried a good portion of the rest of the menu.  I'm in love with the No. 8 (really complex and layered).

So you're the trouble maker! :hmmm:

We had 3 more orders for them at the bar once people saw us making them for your table...

I'm not, I swear! My cousin was in from LA (where they suffer from extreme cocktail deprivation). I blame the other people at my table. Those things are damn good, though.

Oh come on.  Everybody knows Don LOVES to make Ramos Gin Fizzes.  He used to get them to let him make them at the Pegu Club when he was just a customer.

That's true I do love making them and have had my share at Pegu... in fact I think I'll go order one tonight! :raz:

• 2 weeks later...
Cinema Highball

Popcorn & Butter Infused Flor de Cana Rum, Boylan's Cream Soda

Benton's Old Fashioned

Benton's Bacon infused Elijah Craig, Angostura Bitters, Maple Syrup

I am now obsessed with the Cinema Highball. It's fantastic, very gentle, nice lingering notes of the popcorn and butter. Although I think mine was made with Coke instead of Cream Soda? Boyfriend loved the Benton's Old Fashioned.

3 cheers for Donbert.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick update -- since it is so frigging cold here in NYC, we broke out the Tom and Jerry bowl for the first time last night and for the next few days we will be doing Tom and Jerry's.

This is an off the menu item and only happens a) when it is cold (very cold) and b) when the bowl is on the bar. We only have a certain amount of batter each night, so depending on when you come it may or may not be available.

If you see this bowl at the end of the bar -- Tom and Jerry's are available to warm your soul.

gallery_26869_4681_20472.jpg

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Me too! ;)

I probably could have managed two or three had it not been for calorie guilt. As it is, the Chrysanthemum Cocktail I had to chase it down was a real winner and a perfect bridge to dinner. And I had the pleasure of seeing John (albeit briefly) on his night off!

Every trip I make reminds me that despite its existing high level, PDT continues to improve in consistency of execution and in quality of trappings (that glass chiller is a monster; I don't think I've ever had an old-fashioned-style cocktail that was presented that cold). I have less tendency to go off menu than at D&Co, though that may be just a quirk of how I order there.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

I finally made it in last night. PDT is freaking fantastic. It was such a pleasure to meet Don, and to see Jim again. My thanks to you both for a wonderful visit. My first cocktail, the Benton Old Fashioned, almost knocked me off my stool. Smoky, almost Scotch-like, porky, divine. My second, the Harvest Moon, perfectly balanced. My third, the Black Flip . . . well, what can be said about a cocktail that amounts to a rum chocolate beer milkshake, with the silken texture of an egg to round it out? We can leave it at this: I have been thinking about this cocktail ALL DAY. I also tasted what I think is called the No. 8 (tequila?) and was blown away.

If I need to start leaving work at 5:30 in order to get seats at PDT and Death & Co., so be it.

I finally made it in last night.  PDT is freaking fantastic.  It was such a pleasure to meet Don, and to see Jim again.  My thanks to you both for a wonderful visit.  My first cocktail, the Benton Old Fashioned, almost knocked me off my stool.  Smoky, almost Scotch-like, porky, divine.  My second, the Harvest Moon, perfectly balanced.  My third, the Black Flip . . .  well, what can be said about a cocktail that amounts to a rum chocolate beer milkshake, with the silken texture of an egg to round it out?  We can leave it at this: I have been thinking about this cocktail ALL DAY.  I also tasted what I think is called the No. 8 (tequila?) and was blown away.

If I need to start leaving work at 5:30 in order to get seats at PDT and Death & Co., so be it.

Benton Old Fashion is the way to go! I'm going to try and make this at home :raz:

Thirded - I've been waiting to try the Benton's Old Fashioned since the preview menu was posted here a few months ago, and it was everything I expected and more. My spouse absolutely fell in love with the Black Flip, and I'll be experimenting with trying to recreate it at home judging from his particularly ecstatic reaction. Thanks to all for another great visit - we'll be counting the days until we're back next.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

If you see this bowl at the end of the bar -- Tom and Jerry's are available to warm your soul.

gallery_26869_4681_20472.jpg

John is, of course, leaving out the other ceramically-clad cocktail, his Beachcomber, which I had last night (and which, sadly, seems slightly more weather-appropriate at the moment... damn climate change!). A lovely slender white thing with a hula dancer on it. Nonetheless, the contents outshine their vessel...

PDT does appear to have one truly definable advantage over every other bar in the city (and, actually, every other bar I've ever visited): Their glasses are really, REALLY cold. I don't know whether they just have a spectacularly good glass chiller, or what. But it makes for a nice drink!

I'm going to be NYC April 10th and would like to stop in for 1) a Pegu Cup, 2) a Sidecar, 3) a Corpse Reviver and 4) a cab to take my drunk butt back to my hotel. :cool: How easy/hard is it to get in and what time should I try?

TIA,

Cat

Portland, OR

cat lancaster

catchi@ix.netcom.com

Portland, OR

johnder and donbert are far more capable of answering that question than I, but in general, the earlier the better. If you get there at 6, a prime spot at the bar is pretty likely. Also, if it's just you (or you and a friend), calling a little beforehand will give you an idea of availability at the bar.

I was at PDT at 7pm last night with a group of friends. We had a reservation for a booth, but most seats were already taken when we got there. I think they let in a one or two more folks at the bar, and after 7:10pm, there was a really long waitlist. We were sitting at the booth by the coats/hostess station and saw numerous parties get turned away. It was freezing cold last night, but it was also a Thursday.

The burger was tasty. As usual, the Chang dog was great. My friend loved his Speakcheesy, and I had my first John John Deragon dog. Yum! I wish the toppings would stick better to the top though. The scallions were a nice touch. I loved my Cinema Highball. Fiance had the Benton's, and turned on another friend to the awesomeness of the Benton's. A Harvest Moon was also ordered. Very nice. We also devoured three orders of the waffle fries and enjoyed the melted cheese and jalapenos.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

If you have three, you're better off sitting at the bar. With that said, you can't reserve seats at the bar, so try to reserve a booth (get ready for busy signals and potentially a bit of disappointment). Once you get there, see if bar seats are open and go from there.

Your best bet is to get there right when they open, grab 3 seats at the bar and have a couple rounds before dinner.

You're *always* better off sitting at the bar, whether you're at PDT, D&Co, Pegu, or any of the top cocktail bars. The fact that there are 3 of you makes this *possible* rather than a necessity. I'd definitely do that if you're okay with the fact of not having a guaranteed table (or admit). As Bryan said, just go early for pre-dinner cocktails.