• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PDT (Please Don't Tell) -- St. Marks Place.

johnder

I think it's going to be hard to call either of them the "best bar ever." Each has its own individual style and methodology - I happened to be at the other "best bar ever" tonight and had some quite delicious drinks made by the above mentioned "guest bartender," Bryan.

I was being a bit fulsome [and jokey], of course!

Edited by Mayur (log)
Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Yes it does have vinegar. It is fresh concord grapes from the local farmers market that we make into a classic "shrub" base. A shrub is a fruit typically preserved with vinegar and sugar. We use this shrub base in a cocktail paired with Flor De Cana white rum, simple syrup and Richard pastis.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Yes it does have vinegar. It is fresh concord grapes from the local farmers market that we make into a classic "shrub" base.  A shrub is a fruit typically preserved with vinegar and sugar.  We use this shrub base in a cocktail paired with Flor De Cana white rum, simple syrup and Richard pastis.

OK, you've got my interest piqued, I have an open palate. Maybe I'll order it on Monday night.

It's really good. (Although for some reason I thought that cocktail was made with gin and not rum; did you change it from the "test" version, John, or am I just remembering incorrectly?) Regardless, it's darn good.

It's really good. (Although for some reason I thought that cocktail was made with gin and not rum; did you change it from the "test" version, John, or am I just remembering incorrectly?) Regardless, it's darn good.

We went through a lot of different version while we were testing that drinks and the fruit shrubs are really versatile ingredients and can be used with a variety of spirits. The concord grape shrub also works really well with fresh ginger and gin.

Edited by donbert (log)

Hah, your right. Thats what jetlag will do for you (just flew back from Cali late last night) It is a tanqueray base. The Phillips Daiquri is the one with the Flor De Cana.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

the shrub drink is superb...great way to introduce pastis to the pastis-averse.

love the new menu in general...my only caveat (and it's an extremely mild one) is that the menu is heavy on the vieux carre style drinks...which I love....(especially recommend the Rye Witch)...but the menu could perhaps have a bit more balance across different styles and categories. on the other hand, they're perfect for fall...

heard an amusing conversation between the hostess and the B-list celebs that took our seats as we left...

the shrub drink is superb...great way to introduce pastis to the pastis-averse.

love the new menu in general...my only caveat (and it's an extremely mild one) is that the menu is heavy on the vieux carre style drinks...which I love....(especially recommend the Rye Witch)...but the menu could perhaps have a bit more balance across different styles and categories.  on the other hand, they're perfect for fall...

heard an amusing conversation between the hostess and the B-list celebs that took our seats as we left...

Spill...

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

oh it was nothing major. one of them was Chace Crawford (I certainly don't know who that is but my companion did):

hostess: "I really really want to seat you but we just don't have any seats right now." celeb A: "I understand, it's no problem." we walk past the hostess: "oh, you're leaving!!!! ok, you can have their seats at the bar!"

edit: I should say that the really amusing part for us was how horrified the (quite young) hostess was at having to deny them entrance.

Edited by Nathan (log)

That is an option -- one of the things I want to check out is 15 East 15 they are doing a "beer kir" with sapporo and honeyed sweet potato vinegar which sounds awesome.

The other option is do to some fat washing of the puree and use that in a simple syrup infusion.

I tried this recently, it's a very nice drink. It corroborates a lot of the recent discussions on this thread regarding the use of vinegar in cocktails and what that unique tartness/acidity can add to a drink. I'm trying to find the vinegar in New York.

New dog at PDT, via New York Magazine:

David Chang has a James Beard award, a recent fashion spread in Esquire, glossy-food-magazine honors galore, and the gushing admiration of nearly every right-minded foodie in town. Just about everything a young chef could ever want. Still, his friends at PDT (113 St. Marks Pl., nr. Ave. A; 212-614-0386), the Crif Dogs cocktail-lounge annex, thought that something was lacking. So, with Chang’s blessing, they’ve introduced the Chang Dog—a deep-fried hot dog wrapped in bacon and smothered with Chang’s own Momofuku Ssäm Bar red kimchee purée. Those keeping score will note that this catapults Chang into a whole new realm of superstardom, beyond the level of mere celebrity chef and into the rarified ranks of icons—Jerry Seinfeld, Bob Costas, and, of course, Fyvush Finkel among them—who have sandwiches named after them.

I know this has got to be Donbert's doing!

My question is: why not the green scallion sauce?!

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

I can neither confirm nor deny these allegations but someone else is putting an everything bagel inspired hot dog on the menu that will include fresh scallions, cream cheese, and everything bagel spices.

New dog at PDT, via New York Magazine:
David Chang has a James Beard award, a recent fashion spread in Esquire, glossy-food-magazine honors galore, and the gushing admiration of nearly every right-minded foodie in town. Just about everything a young chef could ever want. Still, his friends at PDT (113 St. Marks Pl., nr. Ave. A; 212-614-0386), the Crif Dogs cocktail-lounge annex, thought that something was lacking. So, with Chang’s blessing, they’ve introduced the Chang Dog—a deep-fried hot dog wrapped in bacon and smothered with Chang’s own Momofuku Ssäm Bar red kimchee purée. Those keeping score will note that this catapults Chang into a whole new realm of superstardom, beyond the level of mere celebrity chef and into the rarified ranks of icons—Jerry Seinfeld, Bob Costas, and, of course, Fyvush Finkel among them—who have sandwiches named after them.

I actually ate this last night and can confirm that it's sinfully delicious. A tad on the salty side, but otherwise perfect bar food.

It was great meeting John, and Weinoo was at the bar so we chatted a bit as well. I would have liked to chat a bit more with both of them but I was with two lady friends - priorities, priorities. That said, we had a great time, the cocktails rocked (I loved the one with Pastis and vinegar), the decor's cool, and I concur with what someone else said earlier: every place should have a secret entrance. Coming in through the phone booth was fun.

Thanks for a great time, I'll be sure to stop in again soon, especially if I'm with some of my winemakers, they tend to get tired of all the wine bars after a while.

Cheers! :cool:

Edited by Vinotas (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Vastly expanded cocktail menu indeed. PDT has really come into its own based on another visit I paid this evening. With all the recent press about speakeasies and secret bars, some of the hipster douchebag set (to which I generally subscribe) have called PDT and the cocktail renaissance over. Looking for something newer and hipper and to escape the encroach of the B&T (to whom I am geographically bound), there seems to be vacuum in the "next big thing" of downtown nightlife.

To these trendoid haters, I say good riddance. PDT is still putting out my favorite cocktails in the city. On this chilly evening my companion and I sampled the Apricot Flip, an Old Fashioned made with anjeo tequilla and mezcal, the Silk Road, and the gin-concord grape drink (the Paul's Club, I believe). All these drinks were delicious and complex and layered. Sometimes smoky, sometimes sweet, sometimes sour, sometimes bitter; a world of flavors and aromas. Really, not even a merely "good" drink in the bunch, all had their merits.

I sat at the bar this time and arrived shortly after opening before a dinner reservation for later. The space had filled by the time I left after 7 and I imagine would remain so for the rest of the evening. I also had the opportunity to sample two dogs, the Chang Dog and John John Deragon Dog. Both were quite excellent. Chatted with John for a few seconds as he was hanging around, and Jim Meehan was in house which, if you're into the cocktail thing, is kind of a big deal, I suppose.

The place has really expanded its drink selection and the quality is just as good, if not better than ever. A wonderful start to an evening.

Like BryanZ, I also stopped by PDT on Saturday night - it had been about one month since my last visit and probably 2-3 months since my last "serious" visit. "Serious" meaning going with an adventurous friend and spending enough time there to make a considerable dent in the menu.

The staff was kind enough to seat my friend and I at a table right away, explaining that there was a reservation for it in 30 minutes. They offered to seat us at the bar as soon as something opened up. They were even able to accommodate a third person that was joining our party later in the evening, by squeezing in an extra bar stool - I couldn't have asked for better or more gracious service.

On to the cocktails. I started with what seemed like a variation on a Jack Rose that was the special cocktail of the week. It was great - I usually don't go for cocktails that sweet, but it was quite tasty. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name or what was in it - sorry! My friend started with a Rye Witch - I'm trying to get him to expand beyond just bourbon :)

Our second round consisted of a Harvest Sling and a Vieux Carre - both lovely. Man, I love Benedictine. We also tried the Paul's Club cocktail - complex with interesting flavors. I could definitely detect the vinegar, but it was well balanced by the sweetness. The Ricard float was a little strong in the first few sips, but it's always nice to have a cocktail change over the course of time.

We also wolfed down 2 Chang dogs, which were great. I would have preferred the kimchi puree to have a bit more oomph - it was spicy, but I like my kimchi a bit more pickled and pungent.

This visit reminded me how much I like this place. Just my two cents :)

Edited by ryeandchampagne (log)

Wow, seems like there was a bunch of EGullet'ers there on Saturday. We went there around 7:45-8pm and sat at the table farthest to the left after walking in. Drinks were great (I had my favorite, the Paul's Club and another one with Champagne and bourbon, the name escapes me), my wife and our friend had the Desert Rose. Service was good as usual, though I do prefer sitting at the bar.

After, we hit Flea Market for dinner, then visited the new wine bar, Solex, which was great. Jet-lag kicked in around 1am and I turned into a pumpkin.

Cheers! :cool:

Heh. Looks like we missed the party. We were there on Friday night. I had the Silk Road, Mr. Duck had a beer. Both were great. Next round was a Manhattan and some grapefruit concoction with vermouth and Campari. Such a great place.

No food--saved ourselves for Momofuku.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Congrats to the PDT guys for taking the 2nd AND 3rd places in the Vinos de Jerez 2007 Cocktail Competition! Results were announced last night at the launch event for the Big Book of Sherry Wines (a heck of a party!). donbert's Hudson took 3rd place, Jim Meehan's Rye Witch 2nd.

[EDIT: donbert also should have received a special prize for having the only food-based cocktail... ;) ]

Edited by Mayur (log)

• 3 weeks later...

We are going to be switching over our menu from our "Fall" menu to our "Winter" menu in a week or two. I wanted to give everyone a sneak peek...

Donizetti

Tanqueray, Amaro CioCiaro, Rothman and Winter Apricot Brandy, Moet White Star Champange

Black Flip

Cruzan Blackstrap Rum, Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout, Demerara Syrup, Egg

Harvest Moon

Wild Turkey 101 Rye, Lillet Blanc, Bonded Applejack, Green Chartreuse, "Abbotts" bitters

Bee's Cactus

Don Julio Reposado, Palo Cortado Sherry, Barenjager, Orange Bitters

Cinema Highball

Popcorn & Butter Infused Flor de Cana Rum, Boylan's Cream Soda

Cranberry Cobbler

Beefeater Gin, East India Sherry, Cranberries, Cranberry Syrup

The Professor

Rhum Clement VSOP, Tawny Port, Carpano Antica, Angostura and Orange Bitters

Benton's Old Fashioned

Benton's Bacon infused Elijah Craig, Angostura Bitters, Maple Syrup

?

Walnut Infused Hine Cognac, Yellow Chartreuse, Amaro CioCiaro

Mai Tai #113

Mount Gay Eclipse Rum, Flor De Cana, Rothman and Winter Apricot Brandy, House Orgeat, Lime, Fresh Pineapple Juice

Desert Rose

Rose Infused Plymouth Gin, Prickly Pear, Lemon Juice

Silver Sangaree

Paumanok Cabernet Franc, Ruby Port, Famouse Grouse Scotch, Lemon, Clove Simple, Brandied Cherries, Egg White

Last Word

Blue Gin, Lime, Green Chartreuse VEP, Luxardo Maraschino

Staggerac

George T. Stagg Bourbon, Sugar, Angostura & Peychauds Bitters, Absinthe

Mt. Vernon

Clear Creek Kirsch, Gran Duque D'Alba Brandy, Toro Albala 1979 PX, Cherry Heering, Grapefruit

We are also go to have 4 surprise guest created cocktails on the list from Audrey Saunders, Lenell Smothers, Julie Reiner and Charlotte Voisey.

Still working on the name for the Walnut Cognac cocktail. I am open to suggestions on this one if anyone has a good name let me know!

[edited to fix CioCiaro typo]

Edited by johnder (log)

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--