• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen (US) Season 3

PDC

Has anybody seen GR's show on BBC America (Kitchen Nightmares)?? Just caught one episode and it wasn't bad. He intervened to help a British Pub owner fix his problem business, which was losing lots of $$$.

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

Has anybody seen GR's show on BBC America (Kitchen Nightmares)??  Just caught one episode and it wasn't bad.  He intervened to help a British Pub owner fix his problem business, which was losing lots of $$$.

-Mark-

Yep, I've watched it for a few seasons now. This is the "kindler, gentler" Ramsay that Bourdain keeps mentioning. I like KN best of all of his shows, because it really tackles some concrete problem-fixing, a lot of psychology, a lot of kitchen/menu technique and streamlining, etc., etc. You see all of Gordon's smarts, drive, ambition and experience in this show - not the screaming, maniacal, abusive GR. I like the problem-solving and restauranrt management aspects - you learn something, you see the ins-and-outs - it's not just a bunch of "donkeys" being screamed at. And I think the owners/chefs actually learn something, too.

It's too bad that Julia got kicked off, but I was happy with Ramsay's offer to send her to culinary school.  He seemed to actually care for her.

Thank you. Guess those of us in the Pacific time zone don't need to watch this now.

Guess I won't be killing time before watching Top Chef or Hell's Kitchen by cruising E-Gullet from now on.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

If you haven't watched the episode, the safe thing to do would be to avoid the thread. Seems simple enough . . .

Anyhoo, I was so irritated with Roc, that I truly wanted him booted off. His arrogance and constant "don't talk to me . . . don't say that" crap is wearing thin.

So Josh finally got thrown out of the kitchen . . . . finally!

I was sorry to see Julia go, too. I think that, when properly trained, she'll kick some serious butt in the culinary world.

that was great how Josh got booted off the show in the middle of service! BOOM! Outta there.

I hope Julia does well in culinary school. And for me, I hope she DOESN'T go back on the show. No reason to play a game show on TV to make it in the restaurant biz. Maybe she will get an externship with one of Gordon's actual restaurants? That would be great for her.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

that was great how Josh got booted off the show in the middle of service!  BOOM!  Outta there.

I hope Julia does well in culinary school.  And for me, I hope she DOESN'T go back on the show.  No reason to play a game show on TV to make it in the restaurant biz.  Maybe she will get an externship with one of Gordon's actual restaurants?  That would be great for her.

that's what we thought, too. Why would you put yourself through that awful experience twice. If she gets real skills in culinary school, she can go right to work.

that was great how Josh got booted off the show in the middle of service!  BOOM!  Outta there.

I hope Julia does well in culinary school.  And for me, I hope she DOESN'T go back on the show.  No reason to play a game show on TV to make it in the restaurant biz.   Maybe she will get an externship with one of Gordon's actual restaurants?  That would be great for her.

that's what we thought, too. Why would you put yourself through that awful experience twice. If she gets real skills in culinary school, she can go right to work.

You know, I think that's what Gordon was doing, in a roundabout way. She's got the chops - she just needs the polish. And then, as she nears the end of her culinary school experience and is looking to extern - BOOM! PHone call from Gordon: "Julia, how about working the line at The Narrows or Warrington's" (his new gastro pub) "or Boxwood Cafe, yes? Then maybe on up to Maze? C'mon, darling, I know you can do it - 'cause you're not a DONKEY!" Even with culinary school, some haute cuisine experience would still benefit her more if she was to run her own restaurant, and Gordon's apprenticeship would serve her better than having to compete for it on a reality TV show. Gordon obviously wants her to succeed very badly, and believes she can. Bless that bugger for THAT, at least.

I give it to the contestants that can put up with that a-hole. I personally find it weak that a chef will stand and shout and degrade when he/she is supposed to be LEADING. Although it makes for good television, there are very few successful chefs who act the way "chef" Ramsey acts. I think this show should have aired 100 years ago, kitchens have come a long way, and chefs like that are going down quicker than they are coming up.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

Do what I do, don't read the thread before watching the show.

Another option- for people who are 1st posting about the results of a show, they can add "Spoiler Alert- MM/DD" at the top so that people will know that if they haven't seen it, they should avoid that message and posts from that point on. I like to catch up on people's thoughts about the previous episode before watching the next one (often on TIVO), and sometimes it slips my mind that a new episode took place.

At least that's what I'll try to do- if I ever actually watch an episode the night it airs :biggrin:

Bonnie over Jen? That was a wierd decision. What was Gordon thinking?

Based on what we saw during that episode, I'd agree. She made two mistakes -- not spotting the missing crab and some bad risotto.

In a sense, I thought that Bonnie and Rock had an edge over Jen in their respectives "roleplays".

They were already expecting some screwed up dish, while Jen, by going first had no clue that the sous-chefs would set her up.

Anyway, I personally like the 2 finalists better than Jen so I'm happy.^^

ON TOPIC: This is my first time watching the show and I had never heard of GR. Is he really a great chef when it comes to innovation? In the last episode when he asked the chefs to elevate the level of a popular dish and he presented his mac and cheese with truffles and lobster it came to my mind that he's the kind of guy that associates fine dining with expensive ingredients and that's it.

Edited by pimptenshi (log)

Jen was my favorite of the three finalists. I agree that Bonnie and Rock had an unfair advantage that they knew a messed up dish would be brought forward.

Now I guess I have to root for the lesser of two evils - Rock I guess. Bonnie whines too much for my taste. I mean, the whole "I'm hungry" thing just got under my skin. She is a cook, and she was standing in a kitchen!

I think the producers were thinking "one more week of the cute "nanny" " 

Or elevating someone who will be remembered for picking out of the garbage..

That was Jen who pulled food out of the bin.

Bonnie was the one that tossed the monkfish, thinking it had gone bad.

Jen should have known about messed up dishes being brought to the pass. They have done the same thing in previous seasons.

Edited by jsmeeker (log)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"