• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen (US) Season 3

PDC

I know Ramsay deserves some stick for doing this show, but Simpson also says that most of the money goes into the restaurant biz not GR's personal coffers and at $1m for a month's work, more or less, who can blame him. I'd expect the show's paid for his NY launch.

GR said as much in the New Yorker article on him a couple of months back -- basically he said he's doing another season because it lets him be in NY.

My money is on Rock for the win. Unless he does something truly boneheaded. He might slice off a fingertip into someone's salad or something.

Melissa, I would probably be forced to tell her exactly what her mother does for extra money around the holidays. Just irritating and evil. Makes my skin crawl and my blood boil. Bad combination.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

My money is on Rock for the win. Unless he does something truly boneheaded. He might slice off a fingertip into someone's salad or something.

Melissa, I would probably be forced to tell her exactly what her mother does for extra money around the holidays. Just irritating and evil. Makes my skin crawl and my blood boil. Bad combination.

Amen to THAT, Roux. Melissa alternates between aggressive/aggressive and passive-aggressive ("Can I help anyone with anything? Can I help anyone with anything?") but she isn't a good leader - or even a good cook. She's been a line cook for 10 years and she can't figure out NOT to leave sliced potatoes out in open air so they don't turn black? Not once, mind you, but twice! Shit, even home cooks know to put them in water and to acidulate apple slices, etc.!!

Rock is gonna tear her a new one, oh, yes. She should have gone home, but in the interests of the dramatic tension that is surely going to splatter like hot oil in the next week or so, Gordo has flung her right her literally from the frying pan into the fire. I see a beatdown in the works . . . (!)

My money is on Rock for the win.

If Bodog.com is to be believed, Rock does win Hell's Kitchen.

According to the gambling website, it decided to close betting on Hell's Kitchen 3 after "heavy betting" on Rock Harper, a 30-year-old executive chef from Spotsylvania, VA, moved Bodog's odds on his victory from 7-to-1 when wagering on the show first opened down to 2-to-1 by the time of the show's Monday night premiere.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/fox-hel...etting-5302.php

I've watched from the beginning and I don't understand Melissa's sudden brain freeze and personality change. Was she trying to illustrate that Rock hadn't given her the proper instructions to make the potatoes? She said the second time, "I did exactly the same thing," and why would you do it exactly the same if it failed so spectacularly the first time? and what was that with the bloody DUCK, putting it in the oven again when even Waffle House (whom I like the best of the females) knew that it shouldn't go back in. Of course Waffle House should have taken it back out.

But it's like Melissa suddenly forgot to take her medication, or was told to act like that much of an idiot so GR could move her over to the other team...

(Personally I'd like to know how she thinks it's appropriate to cook with all that hair all over the place, I cringe every time I see her in the kitchen with her overprocessed mop waving in the breeze.)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

(Personally I'd like to know how she thinks it's appropriate to cook with all that hair all over the place, I cringe every time I see her in the kitchen with her overprocessed mop waving in the breeze.)

Yeh, what's with all the loose hair? And why are all the chefs' jackets way too large for the girls? They are swimming in those cuffs!

Yeh, what's with all the loose hair? And why are all the chefs' jackets way too large for the girls? They are swimming in those cuffs!

And not to sound gay (not that there is anything wrong with that...), but doesn't GR look dashing in his well tailored, short sleeve whites? lol.

My question: Why the short sleeves? Not too practical in the ole kitchen...

Edited by Morgan_Weber (log)

So, did anyone watch last night?

How did everyone else feel about the silliness of a tank full of lobsters without banded claws?? And then the psyche out gonna send 2 people home moment. bleh. Its like a train wreck... I told my fiance last night that I dont think I want to watch Kitchen Nightmares... because I love the UK version too much... I dont want to see it ruined for an American audience.

Who went home?
Melissa. Finally.

Along with Ramsey's salutation to the Blue Team of Chefs and Sous Chefs, paraphrasing here, "You were beaten by a nanny, a Waffle House cook and a pastry chef."

Edited by hsm (log)

Who went home?
Melissa. Finally.

Along with Ramsey's salutation to the Blue Team of Chefs and Sous Chefs, paraphrasing here, "You were beaten by a nanny, a Waffle House cook and a pastry chef."

Not to mention that the nanny had the winning lobster dish, too.

What a lame, made-up punishment, too -- go through the trash for recycling. I was glad to see Rock give it back a bit to Ramsey when he was called to the shoot, too.

Since the competition was so close, it really wasn't fair that the men lost again. But sorting through the recycling isn't that disgusting--they had gloves on. It doesn't hurt to think about where the trash goes, anyway.

I just thought it would have been more interesting if they had put some sort of prize for the men in the trash--like something better than what the women got.

ETA--right, I forgot that the men did so poorly at the dinner service, I was just thinking about the cooking competition.

Edited by Terrasanct (log)

I'm just glad that I don't need to look at Melissa's hair any longer.

I'll second that and add to me she looked like a Manson follower with that blank

yet crazed facial expression. :blink:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I'll second that and add to me she looked like a Manson follower with that blank

crank?

crank?

Personally, I think she was overdoing the hair to distract people form whatever she had going on under her lip. I noticed as it got bigger, so did her hair.

Since the competition was so close, it really wasn't fair that the men lost again. But sorting through the recycling isn't that disgusting--they had gloves on. It doesn't hurt to think about where the trash goes, anyway.

If you're Ramsey, with whom do you want to share a photo shoot? Wasn't all that tough a decision.

My only goal this season is to see Waffle House cook outlast the harpies who wanted to get rid of her earlier because they had ever so much more fine dining experience.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

If you're Ramsey, with whom do you want to share a photo shoot? Wasn't all that tough a decision.

My only goal this season is to see Waffle House cook outlast the harpies who wanted to get rid of her earlier because they had ever so much more fine dining experience.

I'm glad Gordo dispatched Melissa without a vote, but I'd rather have seen the punishment be something more cheffy - like having to prep both kitchens, first; second, I thought the extra punishment - by dragging a member of losing team in to empty garbage at the shoot - was totally unnecessary, and rubbed salt into a open wound. And third, why did Gordon single out Rock, a proud cook, a good cook, whom he had, up to that point, admired? I thought it was specifically humiliating to Rock. Gordo said he thought he needed to do HK to boost his profile so he could open his restaurant in NYC (ridiculous), but demeaning a good, professional man and cook, a man of color, on national TV is a new low for Gordo - as a chef AND as a human being. He should not have agreed to participate in that extra little bit of debasement. :angry:

crank?

Personally, I think she was overdoing the hair to distract people form whatever she had going on under her lip. I noticed as it got bigger, so did her hair.

TRUE! It was like the alien or something!

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Melissa was nothing more than a whiny bitch who never accepted respondsibility for anything she did. It was easier to blame everyone else, at least when she was on the red team, than it was to own up to the fact that she fucked up. Glad Ramsey was at the end of his rope with her too. I am curious now as to how long the short order cook and the nanny last on the red team, and Brad and Josh on the blue.

BTW, I saw something about who won the whole thing, and it did not surprise me one bit.