• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen (US) Season 3

PDC

Well, after watching the two shows last night, my money is on Brad and Melissa. As for a third person (can't remember if its final two or three) I'll take a shot with Julia. As many people said here earlier, she KNOWS how to move food. I think she'll keep her chin up under Ramsey's criticism - my guess is she broke down due to the utter frustration with the lunacy of the situation (perhaps even as a calculation to gets things moving). Yeah, high end food may be different, but they must be given some instruction - it seems like the regular menu is the same as last year - spaghetti, rissotto, scallops, wellington, etc. All in all, this early on Melissa seems to know her shit and leads without being a bitch. I'll bet on her.

As far as the customers, let's be real. Nobody is going to Hell's Kitchen for the food. Its all to be seen, possibly even on television. Maybe some are there to watch Ramsey yell and scream, but I highly doubt anyone is there for the food. What they're cooking doesn't even sound like anything special. Of course, if its expertly prepared, fine, but I'm not sure how "expertly" prepared anything is, even towards the end of the show. It does make me wonder how well the restaurant would do in a more food-centric city (as opposed to the image-first thing).

Well, I for one, was sorry to see Eddie go. I don't think he was given a fair shot -

IMO. Others screwed up much more royally than he did.

I can't for the life of me understand why Aaron didn't hit the road. Let's see -

sleeping for 4+ hours during the fish challenge and the guys doing their

punishment, whining and crying, taking 15 minutes to debone at the tables,

and sweating in the food. Can I imagine him running his own restaurant?

Ummmm . . . NO!!! Can Ramsay imagine it? Of course, he can't. Little Eddie

could've stuck it out and been given the chance to prove himself. Instead,

Josh gets the break.

Sorry folks, I tried watching Hell's Kitchen last year and the year before, and this year doesn't appear to be any better. Why would anybody even want to eat in one of Gordon Ramsey's kitchen if that is what the back of the house is like. I see no reason to have a TV show so a major Ass**** can show off.

So, what's the real deal with Aaron? is his role here nothing but "comic relief" for us? I know I keep saying this is a TV show and not a true picture of a real kitchen/restaurant, but when Gordon asked Aaron to be the person deboning the Dover sole tableside, why not train him? Obviously, the answer is to make Aaron look like a dope. Still, you would think they could have at least given him a figthing chance. Have Gordon (or maybe Jean Phillip) train Aaron on the technique, then let him loose and see how he does. He could suprise as all and do well, or just hang him self with his own noose.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Well, I for one, was sorry to see Eddie go.  I don't think he was given a fair shot -

IMO.  Others screwed up much more royally than he did.

I can't for the life of me understand why Aaron didn't hit the road.  Let's see -

sleeping for 4+ hours during the fish challenge and the guys doing their

punishment,  whining and crying, taking 15 minutes to debone at the tables,

and sweating in the food.  Can I imagine him running his own restaurant?

Ummmm . . .  NO!!!  Can Ramsay imagine it?  Of course, he can't.  Little Eddie

could've stuck it out and been given the chance to prove himself.  Instead,

Josh gets the break.

It's part of the strategy. Who would you prefer to compete against in future episodes, Aaron or Josh? I'd want the three weakest chefs and me to make the final four. I'd never nominate Aaron, because I know he would not be a threat to me winning. You want to eliminate your chief competition every chance you get . If they survive the trip to the carpet, though, they're going to come after you hard when their chance comes up - kind of Soprano-like. That's why Ramsey gets a choice opf two to eliminate - to counter balance that sort of back stabbing strategy.

And I've read here many times that Ramsey is a screamer, but on this show he's playing it over the top. You also won't see his moments when he encourages... that's not good for dramatic ratings.

THE TomH

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

So, what's the real deal with Aaron?  is his role here nothing but "comic relief" for us?  I know I keep saying this is a TV show and not a true picture of a real kitchen/restaurant, but when Gordon asked Aaron to be the person deboning the Dover sole tableside, why not train him? Obviously, the answer is to make Aaron look like a dope.  Still, you would think they could have at least given him a figthing chance.  Have Gordon (or maybe Jean Phillip) train Aaron on the technique, then let him loose and see how he does.  He could suprise as all and do well, or just hang him self with his own noose.

I never watch any other reality shows, but I can't imagine a person less suited for weathering this sort of high-pressure situation. I worry about his health, especially after seeing the previews with the ambulance. If he got any de-boning training, it may be on the cutting room floor, too.

THE TomH

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

I think getting out Aaron this early would still be beneficial to the men, as of now they are a team and he is too much of a weak link.

Yes, he is no competition to the other male chefs (at least from what we have seen so far), but I am betting they will not win too many challenges with Aaron on their side. I was disappointed to see Eddie leave so soon, I think he could have been better. Unlike the girl last week who could not cook an egg and refused to let the short order cook do it.

That's the thing I liked about Eddie . . . sure, he was small and possibly a bit

timid at times. However, there were times where he told the others

guys to "back off" and leave him alone to do this thing. He took full responsibility

for his actions: he knew full well what his weaknesses and his strong points were.

And he didn't go run in a corner and whine and babble, like Aaron.

Sorry folks, I tried watching Hell's Kitchen last year and the year before, and this year doesn't appear to be any better.  Why would anybody even want to eat in one of Gordon Ramsey's kitchen if that is what the back of the house is like.  I see no reason to have a TV show so a major Ass**** can show off.

What makes you think the kitchens in his "real" restaurants are anything like this? I think I read an interview with one of his staff once that basically said something along the lines of him being hard on new people, but once they are "trained", that's it. He doesn't yell and scream at his real kitchen staff, because he doesn't have to. I'd wager that his real restaurants run like a well oiled machine, relative to what we see on HK. I sure hope so, at least...

__Jason

The producers knew exactly what they were getting with Aaron. I've been involved a few times in selecting participants for reality TV. Aaron and all the others went through extensive physical and psychological testing before being selected.

Aaron was selected for his physical and psychological problems. And to provide Ramsey with an easy target. I'm guessing the producers played a hand in Aaron not being selected for elimination, being chosen to bone fish table side and for him volunteering to head up the omelet prep with his team members not objecting to an obvious disaster-to-be.

Putting Aaron on a show with such high induced stress sets a new low for reality TV.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Putting Aaron on a show with such high induced stress sets a new low for reality TV.

For me, watching someone (Jen, the pastry chef from Hazelton, Pa) retrieve spaghetti from the garbage and trying to use it for service is the new low. :blink:

She kept repeating defensively that she had washed it - "212 kills the bacteria" - like that helps. :wacko: Seriously, the only explanation at that point is "I totally lost my head" because, "washed" or not, food out of the garbage is Just. Plain. Disgusting.

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

For me, watching someone (Jen, the pastry chef from Hazelton, Pa) retrieve spaghetti from the garbage and trying to use it for service is the new low.  :blink:

She kept repeating defensively that she had washed it - "212 kills the bacteria" - like that helps.  :wacko:  Seriously, the only explanation at that point is "I totally lost my head" because, "washed" or not, food out of the garbage is Just. Plain. Disgusting.

I was frankly shocked when GR didn't freak out and send her packing, along with the other 2 people. The Waffle House cook knew enough to say she was making a huge mistake. I would have ratcheted it up even farther, dumping the pot of water and getting the pot washed, bitching loudly the whole time. If you are trying to get the weak links off your team, that would be one way to do it.

My wife and I were yelling at the TV watching the thing. If I were GR, as soon as she admitted that she had attempted that stunt, I would have made her eat something from the garbage. That would have been riveting TV.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

For me, watching someone (Jen, the pastry chef from Hazelton, Pa) retrieve spaghetti from the garbage and trying to use it for service is the new low.  :blink:

She kept repeating defensively that she had washed it - "212 kills the bacteria" - like that helps.  :wacko:  Seriously, the only explanation at that point is "I totally lost my head" because, "washed" or not, food out of the garbage is Just. Plain. Disgusting.

All I could think was "system D." I'd put money down that at least once in his career, GR has done something equally bad. Gross as it sounds, it's probably much more common than we'd care to know.

I wanted to tag this on the hell's kitchen season one thread, but as it is closed I thought I would ask here. ( please delete if inappropriate )

What is the real deal regarding Michael Wray winning? There was a shot of him this season at Tatou which left the impression that he was the proprietor.

I came across this and thought it might be interesting.

Eater LA

( I would also like to add that although much of what Ramsey and White have done and continue to do may be staged and scripted, I am still a sucker for it, love it, and can't wait for more. )

I have tried out for a couple of game shows, so I guess the casting would be similar for "reality" shows. For The Weakest Link, they told me they were looking for a Gilligan's Island type of cast, not necessarily the smartest or quickest. I'm also not sure if I was Gilligan or not. (I was supposed to be on the show, and was told to be ready to travel at a moments notice in September of 2001. Show bit the dust after 9/11. C'est la vie)

So, for HK, they picked 3 or 4 people with cooking chops and filled the rest of the slots with characters. GR probably gets a dossier on each one of them and knows what their weak points are. He then proceeds to grind those weak spots.

I can see some validity in that approach. If you don't face your fears and weaknesses, you have missed opportunities to grow and succeed. If you can improve the weaknesses and face those fears, then your other skills improve as well. Just like boot camp. Break you down then build you up stronger than before.

If you don't flip out and punch somebody.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I'm sorry, I disagree w/ you. This is the first season that I've watched this show & I love it. I KNOW people just like some of these cooks, I sympathize / them, I hate some of them, & I look forward to seeing GR instruct them in the kitchen arts. While it is dramatized for the camera, this is a bit of what you can expect, if you want to cook in a professional kitchen. I couldn't do it, but I admire those who try...

According to the Neil Simpson biog of Ramsay (this is not a recommendation for that book BTW) it was the US producers who vetoed the higher levels of instruction and actually looking for people who could cook that were featured in the UK (celeb lead) first season. I know Ramsay deserves some stick for doing this show, but Simpson also says that most of the money goes into the restaurant biz not GR's personal coffers and at $1m for a month's work, more or less, who can blame him. I'd expect the show's paid for his NY launch.

Apparently the upcoming UK 3rd season with Marco Pierre-White will again have a strong focus on teaching and encouraging cooking skills.

Both types of show are fascinating in their own way IMHO.

d.

Read about what I've been eating at http://theeatingwell.blogspot.com/

After watching this season for the past couple weeks, the highlight is definitely Bonnie.  She's pretty hot, I'd do her.  Naturally none of these cats can cook.

You know, I'm thinking Rock can cook - and he can lead, too. Bonnie is cute, but I don't think she can handle the pressure - although I'm glad she finally told Melissa to shut up.

I think Jen can cook, too - although her judgment is appalling. I think Julia can cook, can crank it out and can probably lead, but she's going to run into problems with some of the higher end foods and tech niques she might have to deal with. Unless you've made creme brulee, how would you know it has to sit in a pan half-filled with hot water while it cooks, or that it should be torched on the top? But I like Julia, and I'm rooting for her. My dollar is on Rock, though.

You know, I'm thinking Rock can cook - and he can lead, too.  Bonnie is cute, but I don't think she can handle the pressure - although I'm glad she finally told Melissa to shut up. 

I think Jen can cook, too - although her judgment is appalling.  I think Julia can cook, can crank it out and can probably lead, but she's going to run into problems with some of the higher end foods and tech niques she might have to deal with.  Unless you've made creme brulee, how would you know it has to sit in a pan half-filled with hot water while it cooks, or that it should be torched on the top?  But I like Julia, and I'm rooting for her.  My dollar is on Rock, though.

I am rooting for Julia too. I think alot of people automatically assume she will be a failure because she is a short order cook, but its apparent that she learns quickly, and as far as I can remember, she hasnt messed up a dish she's been assigned to. As apposed to say, Bonnie.. who is nanny. Just because she has eaten creme brulee doesnt mean she'd automatically prepare it perfect first time... but something tells me Julia would. She cooks for a living... she's got kitchen skills, and with that its not hard to do a bit of research and learn a few new recipes.

That being said... Julia... and Rock (though he is so caught up in the "game" aspect of it that its annoying) are the only ones keeping me watching the show. The rest of this seasons picks just seems almost an insult to the audience.

Edited by LittleLea (log)