• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen (US) Season 3

PDC

I think the 48 years old Asian cowboy nursing home gotta stay!  He is a comedy relief in that show!

Yes, Aaron should stay, but he's gotta get the waterworks under control. I'd love to see a 48 year-old survive the grueling life of a professional kitchen, but the weepies are going to get him long before the exhaustion, crackling knees and burn-out does.

I think the 48 years old Asian cowboy nursing home gotta stay!  He is a comedy relief in that show!

Yes, Aaron should stay, but he's gotta get the waterworks under control. I'd love to see a 48 year-old survive the grueling life of a professional kitchen, but the weepies are going to get him long before the exhaustion, crackling knees and burn-out does.

Nah...I want him to cry on every show and get yelled at or abused by other contestants. :cool:

Leave the gun, take the canoli

Let the fun begin.

Here's an update on last year's winner:

HELL’S KITCHEN WINNER HEATHER WEST JOINS TERRA ROSSA TEAM!

Hell’s Kitchen winner Heather West joins Terra Rossa restaurant as Senior Chef. She will be working under the leadership of Executive Room Chef Renato DePirro.

I thought she was supposed to get her own restaurant!!!

I couldn't help but stare at his eyebrows anytime he was on camera. What the heck is going on with those things?

__Jason

the cast seems to be better-looking

If we're talking Melissa... :smile: ... Hell Yah! I don't even mind her New Yawk accent. I love her line about walking into a kitchen and not being taken seriously. Well, if you were wearing the dress you did at the start of Episode 1 I wouldn't care if you could cook silicone implants either :rolleyes:

Julia was given the cold-shoulder because she worked in a "frickin' pancake house" (Tiffany). They didn't do a good job of establishing that IMO, and Julia really lost sympathy points when she started blubbering.

Joanna is this year's hate-target. What a beeeeyatch!

Aaron is good for 3 or 4 weeks of comic relief, then his snivelling ass will get run. He was the subject of the best line of Episode 1.

Ramsay: Sir!  Would you mind just whiping the snot of your f**king face so we're not serving chicken and snot!

My picks for the final 3 ... Brad, Rock and Melissa. Eddie has an outside shot if he can actually cook. Didn't really see anything from him in round 1.

A.

ahh... Season 3 of Gordon, a really talented guy, dialing up the infamous ranting and raving at a cast of misfits. This stuff is so good that even people with NO food knowledge can poke fun at the contestants.

Of course, this is first and foremost a TV show, just like "American Idol", "The Apprentice", etc. Like "The Apprentice", ths show seeks a "leader" type. Someone who can be "in charge". That rght there sets up a lot of people taking charge and taking over all at the same time. No one wants to be seen as NOT leading. This is how you get situations where someone doesn't let a breakfast cook cook an egg. They are "in charge" by putting the "lesser" person in her place, so to speak. (at least in their eyes) This all makes for great TV. We yell and scream at the TV and say "Let Waffle House girl cook the quail eggs!!".

The cast of criers must be intenional. Gordon is a "mean guy". What better way to show it than to get people (including an almost 50 year old man) burst into tears. It helps sell Gordon's on-screen persona.

This show starts off as a major train wreck that you can't help but watching. Eventually, good peopel rise to the top and Gordon does a good job at praising good work.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I noticed there was barely a mention of Eddie, particularly in the kitchen during the last half.

Gordon seemed almost sympathetic toward him during the initial "signature dish"

challenge. Do you think Ramsay will cut him some slack due to his disease?

OR do you think his explosion at Eddie is only simmering for later episodes?

I noticed there was barely a mention of Eddie, particularly in the kitchen during the last half. 

challenge.  Do you think Ramsay will cut him some slack due to his disease? 

I don't think we saw him do anything to mess up and he didn't cry or complain and no one talked crap about him. But if you saw the previews for next time, I think he'll get some screen time.

This show is such a train wreck that I find it painful to watch. I know that the guests in the dining room are aware of the situation but I still can't help but feel frustrated for them. I just don't see how the teams can't get anything out of the kitchen. I have seen kithens crash and burn under pressure but never anything this excruciating. GR is a bit on the rough side but I have worked for worse.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

This show is such a train wreck that I find it painful to watch.  I know that the guests in the dining room are aware of the situation but I still can't help but feel frustrated for them.  I just don't see how the teams can't get anything out of the kitchen.  I have seen kithens crash and burn under pressure but never anything this excruciating.  GR is a bit on the rough side but I have worked for worse.

It's because they aren't there to do a dinner service at a restaurant. It's a TV show competition. They are there to A) Be on TV. B) "show up" everyone else. C) be on TV. They are NOT employees of a restaurant doing an actual job at an actual restaurant.

What makes for good TV? Everything going smoothly? No.. That won't work. They sell the show as a bunch of misfits being yelled at by Gordon.

The "guests"? No frustration. No more so than any other actors/extras in any other TV show or movie that "suffer".

Am I cynical? I don't think so. It's a TV show. It's a lot of fun to watch Gordon tear into people.

This show is such a train wreck that I find it painful to watch.  I know that the guests in the dining room are aware of the situation but I still can't help but feel frustrated for them.  I just don't see how the teams can't get anything out of the kitchen.  I have seen kithens crash and burn under pressure but never anything this excruciating.  GR is a bit on the rough side but I have worked for worse.

It's because they aren't there to do a dinner service at a restaurant. It's a TV show competition. They are there to A) Be on TV. B) "show up" everyone else. C) be on TV. They are NOT employees of a restaurant doing an actual job at an actual restaurant.

What makes for good TV? Everything going smoothly? No.. That won't work. They sell the show as a bunch of misfits being yelled at by Gordon.

The "guests"? No frustration. No more so than any other actors/extras in any other TV show or movie that "suffer".

Am I cynical? I don't think so. It's a TV show. It's a lot of fun to watch Gordon tear into people.

That's like saying you watch auto racing for the wrecks. The point I take away from any kind of competition show like this is that if you do what the person in charge tells you to do, you win. It's not who will rise to the top, it's who stays out of trouble the most.

Remember the boot camp scene in Forrest Gump?

Drill Sergeant: Gump! What's your sole purpose in this army?

Forrest Gump: To do whatever you tell me, drill sergeant?

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Well, the show's off to a solid ratiings start based on this blurb from mediapost.cm:

"FOX CONTINUES TO ROLL WITH reality this summer. Its third-year reality show, "Hell's Kitchen," improved 13% over last year's two-hour debut, with a 3.7 rating/10 share among 18-49 viewers--making it the most-viewed show of the night in that demo"

That's like saying you watch auto racing for the wrecks. The point I take away from any kind of competition show like this is that if you do what the person in charge tells you to do, you win. It's not who will rise to the top, it's who stays out of trouble the most.

Remember the boot camp scene in Forrest Gump?

Drill Sergeant: Gump! What's your sole purpose in this army?

Forrest Gump: To do whatever you tell me, drill sergeant?

No, I don't think its's like auto racing. auto racing is legitimate competition. The winner is determined by a clear set of rules Crossing the finish line first. Tehre are no nominations, to people being voted out, etc.

Reality TV shows aer different. But can still be as much fun to watch.

Ah, but there are similarities between auto racing and this show. Temporary teammates, a certain amount of skill, various strategies to get to the end, tempers flaring under pressure, high stakes, the ever present danger of getting caught up in some else's mistakes/accidents, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I do find it amusing. But drill instructors can make me roll on the ground with laughter, especially as portrayed in the movies. Probably why I'm not in the military. ;)

Gordon Ramsey is playing R. Lee Ermy. He's quick on his feet, and has lots of experience yelling at people. On any other network than Fox, the food may get more camera time than the breif shot of it going into the bin. Make no mistake, Ramsey is the sole purpose of the show. But I do enjoy watching someone lurk under the radar, jumping up to take out a chunk of someone when the time is right. You've got the drill instructor and the underdog. Two of the best characters ever created.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Why wasn't Ms Wafflehouse put on eggs immediately? She's a short order cook! She can cook eggs in her sleep!

I'm glad she wasn't eliminated. I felt bad for her.

And the Asian cowboy nursing home chef?  He wasn't even getting yelled at and he was blubbering.

Nursing homes have chefs? Maybe they've changed since the days I went to visit my great grandmother but I remember hospital-type food.

That's what I was screaming at the television.

Apparently, btw, there is such a thing as good nursing home food. My future MIL works at a fancy nursing home (er, elderly community) around here, and good food is one of the things they advertise. I don't know how good, but from the sound of it it's far better than your average institution.

I'm not sure the Asian Cowboy is from such an institution, though. Could be surprising. Didn't a cafeteria chef beat the odds last season and last for quite a while, mostly because she was habitually the best of the worst?

s

I saw a few eps of this show in previous seasons - didn't have much of an opinion, but it seemed somewhat amusing.

Just saw the first show of the new season; I think I'll pass on this one. The editing and quasi-dramatic music reminded me of the US version of Big Brother; that one jumped the shark long ago. Too much story-edited imposed-drama, not enough reality.

Add to that that I've seen enough of GR on England's Channel 4 to be annoyed by the censored language (and even blurred mouths) - it's reasonably obvious what they're saying, but I find it offensive that US broadcasters can't allow adult viewers to experience the real world.

I've never seen Top Chef, but think I might give that one a try; it has to be better than this piece of utter dreck (amusing though it may be if you're into it's particular blend of melodramatic edited 'reality'.)

Sigh.

challenge.  Do you think Ramsay will cut him some slack due to his disease? 

What disease does Eddie have?

I don't get to watch the show, but I was reading about it, and I watched a few clips. Eddie kind of annoyed me with that spaghetti thing.

How is this a surprise to anyone who watched the first two seasons? This is the show.

The "diners" are all people who have an agenda of some sort to get on camera. Anyone remember the two bimbos who walked up to Ramsey at the service station to complain and get on camera? He asked them to get their ta-tas off his counter and put them in their places quicker than he does the cooks.

The interesting part to me is the dynamic in the kitchen, who can handle the pressure and get the food out even though they want everyone else to fail. They have always assembled the cooks from a diverse background at all levels. I couldn't do it. I don't think I'd even want to try.

Anyways, let's watch and see how it develops. These are the preliminaries to set up the later episodes. It's only tv.

IMHO.

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!