• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen (US) Season 3

PDC

Let the fun begin.

Here's an update on last year's winner:

HELL’S KITCHEN WINNER HEATHER WEST JOINS TERRA ROSSA TEAM!

Hell’s Kitchen winner Heather West joins Terra Rossa restaurant as Senior Chef. She will be working under the leadership of Executive Room Chef Renato DePirro.

I loved this show last year, I hope it is just as good this year.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I just saw the trailer on there website.

Lets get ready to rumble!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everybody,

Is anyone watching the Season Premier of Hell's Kitchen tonight? I'm hoping this season turns out good...A lot of times these shows just go for drama so I am hoping this season has some good chefs with good attitutes...

Anyone else watching?

Can't be trying to bury it, as they running an American version of Kitchen Disasters this year.

Love the restaurant, love the show.

But some of the contestants belong in a David Lee Roth video.

Well, they don't cast people with skills like Bobby Flay, since it would just not make "good TV". There's no competition if that were the case.

None of them struck me as being anything superlative. The criers have to go.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Wow. this season on Hell's kitchen is astoundingly bad regarding contestant quality. I know they don't want star chefs, but all but 3 of them have no experience/knowledge of a restaurant kitchen. Seems to me they've abandoned the original premise and just turned it into a drama TV show that happens in a kitchen.

Why wasn't Ms Wafflehouse put on eggs immediately? She's a short order cook! She can cook eggs in her sleep!

I'm glad she wasn't eliminated. I felt bad for her.

And the Asian cowboy nursing home chef? He wasn't even getting yelled at and he was blubbering.

Nursing homes have chefs? Maybe they've changed since the days I went to visit my great grandmother but I remember hospital-type food.

Edited by KristiB50 (log)

Wow. this season on Hell's kitchen is astoundingly bad regarding contestant quality. I know they don't want star chefs, but all but 3 of them have no experience/knowledge of a restaurant kitchen. Seems to me they've abandoned the original premise and just turned it into a drama TV show that happens in a kitchen.

We were SCREAMING the same thing at the TV last night. If anyone knows how to cook eggs, it's a short order cook at the waffle house!

Honestly, we decided they must have completely left some huge chunk of something on the cutting room floor. There was absolutely NO explanation or reason for them completely shunning the waffle house chick. She had to have said something nasty to them or they had to have gotten together to decide to exclude her as a group, it just didn't happen accidentally.

Think about it: what do you have to be able to do when you're cooking: Produce food as ordered, prepared correctly, served attractively as quickly as possible. I know waffle house isn't a gourmet restaurant but the lady HAS to be able to really slam out food quickly, which is a much-needed skill in this kitchen, you just have to teach her to cook different food than what she's already cooking. You still have to know how to cook to get eggs to-order done right, to have table's meals all come up at the same time, etc. Why the cold shoulder?

And we thought it was really obvious that the girl who was responsible for the cuts on the red team chose Tiffany, even after she said there was no way she was going home, because she saw her as her biggest competition on the team. Anyone else think so?

But why do they bother with the obvious/buffoon characters like the crying-jag-asian-cowboy-retirement-home-cook? I mean, IMO, THIS is a guy that has no place on the show. Not the short order cook.

Honestly, we decided they must have completely left some huge chunk of something on the cutting room floor. 

I had the exact same thought. It just seemed too obvious. Gordon's line about the implant was hilarious, though.

As for the casting, I would argue that they've actually included more people w/ kitchen experience this time -- before, I believe, very food had real experience (and they almost always lasted towards the end). Also, to be completely shallow, the cast seems to be better-looking, as well (this is "reality" TV, after all). They do drop some $$$ into set design and special effects (the transitions, opening), though.

Yeah, she nominated her competition - or so she thought.

GR liked the dish the short-order cook made (except for too much pepper.) He only liked 3 dishes? She can cook and cook right and fast. She may be the competition - but she did cry. I would too if I was shut out. Mean girls. They, on the whole, are pretties - willling to flirt and ...

The guys, a real mixed bag. The guy snickering at GR, he'll go down in flames quick.

Yeah, she nominated her competition - or so she thought.

GR liked the dish the short-order cook made (except for too much pepper.) He only liked 3 dishes? She can cook and cook right and fast. She may be the competition - but she did cry. I would too if I was shut out. Mean girls. They, on the whole, are pretties - willling to flirt and ...

The guys, a real mixed bag. The guy snickering at GR, he'll go down in flames quick.

I wish ALL the cooks would stop crying, for chrissakes! It hasn't even got really bad for them - yet! Gordon was almost . . . gentle with Aaron. Glad Tiffany went. She was just so contemptuous of the Waffle House cook on principle, but hey - SHE could cook quail eggs! And talk about being right about the risotto (the other cook). I'll get their names straight by next week . . .