• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pierre Herme's Pastry Cream v. Jello Pudding:

gfron1

Okay, so look - I'm as snooty as the next guy on EG. I turn my nose up at things that couldn't possibly be as good as the real thing. I offer this post in the spirit of the recent Bakers Best v. Scharffenberger thread.

This past weekend I made a dessert that used Pierre Herme's pastry cream. I added 85% Michel Cluizel to it. It was great and received rave reviews. But, I had 3 cups of it left, so I've been eating/Linging it spoonful by spoonful for the past 3 days. I love it! Each bite though reminded me of a childhood memory - Bill Cosby's Jello brand Chocolate Pudding. Surely not, I thought. So I bought a box of the stovetop (not instant) Jello pudding, and sure enough, the flavor difference is so minute that an unsuspecting eater would miss it.

So what does this mean? I used an outstanding chocolate. Pastry cream has corn starch as a thickener, versus what I assumed pudding would use (egg or some chemical from New Jersey). But, yet, the taste and consistency are so similar.

Any other balloon deflating mysterious finds out there? What have you found that could pass for the best, when really its just a box of chemicals and preservatives?

...  But, I had 3 cups of it left, so I've been eating/Linging it spoonful by spoonful for the past 3 days. 

Poor Ling takes so much abuse! :laugh:

You know we only tease the people we love, right Ling?

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

The chocolate pudding I make from scratch uses cornstarch, and I've always assumed the cooked jello pudding also uses cornstarch as the thickener.

There you go, modified foodstarch is the first ingredient listed.

...  But, I had 3 cups of it left, so I've been eating/Linging it spoonful by spoonful for the past 3 days. 

Wow, I always thought using Ling as a verb was a sign of honor and respect...

Wow, I always thought using Ling as a verb was a sign of honor and respect...

But of course! :biggrin:

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I love it when people challenge things like this. Thanks for the post, gfron!

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I once spent days making Sauce Espagnole, and swore it tasted like canned beef gravy. Since I never opened a can of it myself, having tasted it only at other people's homes or buffets, etc., I can't answer as to brand. Back then (70s) I think the most popular brand was Franco-American.

I decided homemade beef gravy from a pot roast was an easier and tastier sub.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I've made a chocolate flan using great chocolate, home made syrup with the best chocolate and cocoa in it ( to boost the flavour extra) and the comparison one customer made to it was that it tasted like a hunts snack pack!

What'cha gonna do?

I take it as a compliment I suppose...

2317/5000