• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Rillettes Recipes

Blue Heron

the fat goes in raw? does it melt from the heat of the meat and makes it like pate?

help!

Yep, it melts in the hot water, water evaporates, meat starts to carmelize. Brown to taste, pot.

I don't think you have to be that particular what cuts of pork you use as long as you have anough fat. I used "thick cut" ribs (no idea what the US name is) and pulled out the bones once it was time to shred.

Edited by TheSwede (log)

Viva, I've made delicious pork rillettes from pork confit, I think the recipe is in the Ruhlman Charcuterie book. I didn't bring the book to France with me, but there's a huge Charcuterie thread and I'm sure someone on that thread who's currently cooking from the book would give you the recipe.

i had some pork belly that was going to be used for gordon ramsays recipe with his pressed belly, but didnt work out. i boiled the pieces for 3 more hours (they already had a 2 hour roast) took them out, removed the rind, shredded the meat, placed it in a bowl, seasoned it a bit more, added some lard, and added 3-4 spoons of the boiling juice, and now its sitting in the fridge.

• 6 months later...

Pork shoulder and belly:

2856643529_9c70c25483.jpg

Put in with thyme, bay, and pork fat..

2856647365_0e79f11f74.jpg

Cooked them for like 10 hours.. Added cinammon, clove, nutmeg, all spice, salt, pepper, ginger..Poured in more fat after this photo to seal.. Will eat in a month or so when the weather gets colder..Or maybe tonight when I get home from work

2858682299_3dea745d93.jpg

I dont really know.. I was going to use sage but, I have thyme in the fridge.. And so on.. I grabbed for things in my spice cabinet.. No particular recipe.. There isnt enough to notice it I believe.. Good luck, making rillette is so easy and very rewarding..

Edited by Daniel (log)

• 2 years later...

I'm going to make rillettes this weekend but am trying to determine which book I'm going to use the recipe from:

Les Halles - Bourdain

Charcuterie - Ruhlman\Powlcin

My New Orleans- Besh

Anybody have an opinion on which is a better recipe?

Also, how long will they keep at room temp? Besh says six months but I assume that is refrigerated.

Edited by BadRabbit (log)

BadRabbit,

I have made rillettes using Les Halle's recipe many times and can highly recommend it. It's comparable to what I used to buy in France at a good charcuterie, and the recipe could not be more simple.

It looks like the Ruhlman/Polcyn recipe includes leeks and celery which seems a little unusual to me, but could be good too.

If eatyourbooks.com is correct, the Besh recipe adds red pepper flakes to the classic recipe. I guess it's a matter of preference.

I've always kept mine in the fridge. Usually they are gone after 2 or 3 weeks. They taste better after a few days.

• 4 years later...

As a "browser" of this topic, I found several posts to be very interesting. I personally follow Michael Rhulman's technique. I find the inexpensive pork butt for tamales (Walmart, my local butcher, etc.) makes the best. I can post my recipe somewhere to share if anyone wants it. It is an adaptation of Michael Rhulman's without the veal stock. I enjoyed rillette du porc in several regions and my favorite is from Champagne Ardenne. His recipe seems to taste very close to this.

BTW, the leftover liquid (I call it my Rillette Stock) from the recipe can be frozen and used for adding a nice flavor touch to pâtés and terrines.

The picture is from a place in Reims. Tasty stuff!

IMG_0047.jpg