• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

meritage

Kim WB

Ugh. That place is terrible. Can't believe it garnered a "good". It tries to be allthings to all people..never trust a place that serves sushi , dry aged beef and rack of lamb..its just a 2000 version of steaks, chops and seafood.

Kim -

I read the review before I read your comments. I've read your comments in the past and agree 99.9% on places where I've been. Where do you differ with David Corcoran? If he took the usual spouse + 2. he looked at 8 entrees.

Did he comment on things you've had? Where is he off base?

If you want to go live, you still have on qx on your allowance in his interrogatory under special events...

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

David C. mentioned that he tries to relate to the average diners experience, but admits that he can only comment on the experience he had. Usually, I would just agree we hit the place on diffrent nights..but after reading the review, I'm not sure if we were at the same place!

Our visit was in June, 2001, so unfortunately, I am unable to respond on a dish by dish basis. Here are my general recollections...wish I had my original review fromthe old foodbytes forum. Plus, it would be interesting to see how my memory had "jelled'the event.

To begin: ambiance...we called on a Fri eve, on our way home from a fundraiser in Spring Lake. No problem, come on in, etc, etc. Got htere at about 8:45, to a blank expression and "what are you, crazy? " kind of look. They said they had no avail tables in the DR, we could sit in the (smoking) lounge area. OK, we took it. Absolutely the worst Dean Martin campy Lounge singer, we couldn't hear ourselves talk.

Service: abysmmal. Our first two wine orders were denied, "out of that one"...my husband and I were very involved in a heated strategy arguement about the fundraiser we were at, and the waiter was hoovering before he had the skill to interrupt to ask for another wine order. Our apps and entrees came at different times, the meal had no flow. DH went for a duck dumpling and a VR steak...the waiter said he could not serve a VR steak tonight...would MR be ok? yikes!! I had some traditional planked salmonkind of dish...unremarkable. i ordered dessert, DH just coffee and VSOP...he was done with both before mine arrived.and it was some lemon ice concotion not worth the wait.

THEN... antoher couple fromthe fundraiser must have come in during our dinner, and was on their way out when we saw them. WE invited them to join us...( Um, this guy is the chair of the Monmouth Cty Party there, and a state Senator...) and the staff made us feel like we asked for their first born children. Hate that. Calling 10 minutes bifore your reservation on a Sat night to turn your 4 into a 6 is an issue...adding two chairs for a dring to your table, on a slow Fri, is just customer service.

Finallyk,the check was all wrong. We had entrees that were not ours, and 4 sambucas that were not ours..I am not a licorice kind of gal. Hey, everyone makes mistakes, but they did not respons ro apologize..it was totally brushed off..."sorry, worng check " kind of thing.

Anyway, I like a DC review, and I dont' want to jeopordize any opportunity where he might invite me as a dinner companion, so nuff said!!!LOL :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ugh. That place is terrible. Can't believe it garnered a "good".  It tries to be allthings to all people..never trust a place that serves sushi , dry aged beef and rack of lamb..its just a 2000 version of steaks, chops and seafood.

Actually, in the initial post I didn't say David reviewed it...I knew it was in the SLedger. But then , after Paul's comment to me, I switched it around in my head. I am so sorry... my sons and husband rented some testosterone Action flick Sunday night, and I sat int he family room with them, just drank wine and typed all night long! I should be more careful of the details, I know how easy it is to pass along mis information! Apologies, again!

OK, so we're all in sync

Reviewed in the Ledger by Cody Kendall

KimWB disagrees with Cody's review

Paul withdraws his question about where Kim disagrees with David, with appreciation for her comments on the review itself and her unfortunate experience in the joint.

Whew...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo