• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easy I-5 access restaurants Portland to Eugene?

Hitting the road this weekend. So many restaurants in Portland on the "to-eat" list, but no real time as I must stay close to the Interstate. So... any suggestions of interesting places to eat close to I-5 starting in Portland and ending in Eugene?

I will try to hit Burgerville (for the first time) in one direction, but that may be north of Portland since I'll be hungry when leaving Seattle.

I'd suggest you go around downtown Portland by taking I-205. If you get off on Division and head west you will find two of my favorites:

Wong’s King (E. Portland ¼ mi. off 205) 8533 S.E. Division 503-788-8883

The only decent dim sum in Oregon. Get there at 10am or plan on wait in line.

Banh Cuon Tan Dinh (E. Portland 1/2 mi. off 205) 2850 S.E. 82nd St. 503-445-6807

Good Vietnamese that goes way beyond the usual pho/bun/com dishes. As their name implies, Banh Cuon is their specialty. They also do a great Banh Hoi. If you feel like Congee, their Chao Thap Cam is outstanding. Its in a shopping center that is anchored by great Vietnamese Grocery. Buy some Banh Mi Ga there for the road.

To get here, continue on Division past Wong's and turn left on 82nd. It will be on your left less than 1/4mi.

Have a safe trip.

Skip Burgerville. It's a waste of a meal unless you just want a snack or to taste something and stop eating.

Both of Balomi's suggestions are very good. I'd especially suggest Banh Cuon Tan Dinh which has a lot of really well-prepared interesting Vietnamese dishes. Ask for the bo la lot, which is on the catering menu and almost always available. The banh khot is another of my favorites. Also, any of their wrap dishes with the grilled pork.

Another great spot is Bun Bo Hue on 82nd. It's smaller and has a more limited menu -- a bit divey -- but its food can be terrific.

There's also the original Pho Van along 82nd, another great Vietnamese restaurant, more upscale, and Pho Oregon, the best pho and banh mi bo kho in town, imo.

There are some fantastic taco trucks around there, too. La Catrina, just south of the Johnson Creek exit, eg, makes terrific tortas and is pretty much always open.

205 seems like it would be longer, but I-5 pretty much always has backups especially between the river and downtown. So it will probably even out.

Edited by ExtraMSG (log)

I'll second the recommendation of Banh Cuon Tan Dinh. The food is delicious, and I've been really impressed with the service, especially the willingness to explain dishes for the unfamiliar.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

btw, in Eugene area try Aiyara Thai Cuisine. It's an easy exit off the interstate at Gateway and is over in a little strip center near the road sort of in front of Target. Best Thai I've had in Eugene. If they have the noodle curries, get those.

If you need a little something to tide you over in between Seattle and Portland, swing into La Tarasca in Centralia...it is an easy mile or two east off of I-5 at the Harrison Avenue exit. Of course, you drive right by the Centralia Burgerville on your way to La Tarasca...but don't give it a second thought. Save your appetite for:

La Tarasca 360-736-7756 1001 W Main St Centralia, WA 98531

P.S. While you are there, buy a stack of tortillas for your journey, they can easily double as travel size tasty pillows. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone! I hit Burgerville on the way south. Good for what it is.

Before making the return to Seattle, everyone told me it wasn't wise to take 205, as it would add a lot of time to my trip. I blew through Portland with no problem (same as when I headed south) and ultimately ate a meal a place I like best: home. Will definitely try to hit the Vietnamese places in Portland another time, though.