• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean Noodle Spicy Soup Base

I particularly like the spicy soup based used for the noodles.

What should I look for to make a similar soup base? I see dried Korean chilli, chilli paste, etc.

Can anyone suggest a popular brand that I may find in my Vancouver British Columbia location?

Yeah, the powdered stocks (dashida) are pretty good. Recently I bought a clam-flavored one that I really like. In Korea they have mushroom-flavored powder (same brand as the other ones) but I haven't been able to find it in America. I still have some left that I brought back from Korea last time......

And of course, if you want an even more flavorful stock, add some vegetables :biggrin: .

- Phage

Gac

those packets of dashida are a life saver for me..if I am REALLY really lazy, I will use either anchovy or beef dashida as a base for kalgooksu or sujaebi - my mom would kill me if she found out

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO the real secret to the Ramyun soup packets are Miwon aka ajinomoto aka MSG.

But aside from that the obvious candidates are the ingredients listed + dashida.

Personally since Ramyun is so plentiful and cheap I would never make it myself - if I were gonna take the time to make the soup I might as well try something other than to aim for results out of a soup packet. :)