• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seafood Places in Vancouver

Panda

Took a look at the Okada menu and decided on a small sample of items I'm interested in trying.

Nigiri: Sockeye salmon, salmon, amaebi, hotate, hamachi, toro and maybe the uni. (More items can be added or substituted if people name some "must try" items.)

I'm also looking to try at least 2 rolls, anyone have any favourites they can recommend?

Edit: Is there a peak time that I should try and avoid when going?

Edited by Panda (log)

Took a look at the Okada menu and decided on a small sample of items I'm interested in trying.

Nigiri: Sockeye salmon, salmon, amaebi, hotate, hamachi, toro and maybe the uni. (More items can be added or substituted if people name some "must try" items.)

I'm also looking to try at least 2 rolls, anyone have any favourites they can recommend?

No real peak time - its a very mellow sort of little place. Great sushi though. For something different - there pickled plume (ume) and shiso roll is interesting. You can always round out your dinner with Chazuke also (soup/tea over rice).

Your other instincts about Blue Water raw bar are good also - I think the seafood there is really excellent also.

As luck had I was in the market for a new sushi place to try with some out of town friends and thanks to Canucklehead's enthusiastic review we gave Okada a try last night.

We went in around 7:30 and the place was quiet, perhaps a third full but as it's split up in three small areas with the sushi bar in the center it didn't feel empty at all. We sat at the Sushi bar (of course) and told the server to let the chef do his thing with a mixture of sushi and kitchen items.

Without going into the blow by blow of every dish I'll just say that almost everything was great with all the fish being gorgeously fresh - we started with a sashimi selection including amaebi- (with the heads served deep fried afterwards) hamachi, and what I thought they said was Big Eye Tuna (the one that is the incredibly red colour). Geoduck and halibut were excellent.

Among the hot dishes were miso cooked black cod, a nice little dish of whole grilled japanese green chilis which aren't spicy but very tasty.

The only items that did not do much for me were one of the hot dishes- basically a deep fried pasta like tube of some sort with a creamy crab stuffing which was bland and one of the sushi items: the California Roll (which I would never have ordered) tasted of overly creamy avocado and nothing else. Stay away from those and everything else was worth going back for.

I remarked to my friends that the first time (letting the chef do his thing) is always a bit tentative until he gets to know you and you him. By the third visit it gets to be lots of fun.

If Yoshi is still at BlueWater I would recommend him highly if it weren't for the prices they charge. He is wonderful at being allowed to do his thing.

No real peak time - its a very mellow sort of little place.  Great sushi though. For something different - there pickled plume (ume) and shiso roll is interesting.  You can always round out your dinner with Chazuke also (soup/tea over rice).

Your other instincts about Blue Water raw bar are good also - I think the seafood there is really excellent also.

The pickled plum, is it the sour stuff they put in the triangle shaped rice balls? Umeboshi? I tried an umeboshi candy years ago and had to spit it out -_-.

As luck had I was in the market for a new sushi place to try with some out of town friends and thanks to Canucklehead's enthusiastic review we gave Okada a try last night.

We went in around 7:30 and the place was quiet, perhaps a third full but as it's split up in three small areas with the sushi bar in the center it didn't feel empty at all. We sat at the Sushi bar (of course) and told the server to let the chef do his thing with a mixture of sushi and kitchen items.

Without going into the blow by blow of every dish I'll just say that almost everything was great with all the fish being gorgeously fresh - we started with a sashimi selection including amaebi- (with the heads served deep fried afterwards) hamachi, and what I thought they said was Big Eye Tuna (the one that is the incredibly red colour). Geoduck and halibut were excellent.

Among the hot dishes were miso cooked black cod, a nice little dish of whole grilled japanese green chilis which aren't spicy but very tasty.

The only items that did not do much for me were one of the hot dishes- basically a deep fried pasta like tube of some sort with a creamy crab stuffing which was bland and one of the sushi items: the California Roll (which I would never have ordered) tasted of overly creamy avocado and nothing else. Stay away from those and everything else was worth going back for.

I remarked to my friends that the first time (letting the chef do his thing) is always a bit tentative until he gets to know you and you him. By the third visit it gets to be lots of fun.

If Yoshi is still at BlueWater I would recommend him highly if it weren't for the prices they charge. He is wonderful at being allowed to do his thing.

Good to hear that you enjoyed your sushi. This is making me wish that Friday would come sooner. Probably won't be getting a california roll; but if I take my parents there I know my mom will order one for sure, don't think I can stop her either :raz:.

The last time I checked their site Yoshi Tabo was still cutting up the fish at Blue Water :smile:.

Tried out Okada Sushi yesterday and had some very good and fresh sushi. Got a call from my mom part way so I asked if she wanted to join me. When we got there she said that she had been to the same location before, although it had been a different sushi restaurant at the time.

When we went in it was obvious that the staff were Japanese and not Korean, like the previous restaurant. I ordered the nigiri that I mentioned earlier except I forgot the hotate. For rolls I ordered the negitoro and the prawn tempura roll. My mom ordered the BC roll and California roll, she had a bite to eat before. I really overestimated the size of the sushi, I'll be sure to order more next time.

The sushi was good, the rice wasn't mushy or too overly flavoured. The sushi tasted fresh and the staff were attentive, except when it started to get busy and I had to ask for some more tea and the bill 3 times. I'll definitely be going back to try the other things they have to offer.

Unfortunately I won't be taking my dad to Okada Sushi on Father's Day. Although it's a great place to go for a casual meal, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. We'll most likely be going to Tojo's instead. Okada was great and I'm thrilled to have found a place for some fresh sushi. I'd like to thank everyone for their many suggestions, I'll keep them in mind for the next time I'm in need of a seafood meal.

Oh, and here are some pictures from Okada.

Panda: So where are you taking Dad tomorrow?

Kev

I would definitely recommend that you take him to Blue Water. The Raw Bar puts out some amazing Japanese preparations, their seafood is also always very fresh. If you want something very special get the Blue Water Tower or if possible the Live King Crab it's delicious. I hope you have a great time.  :laugh:

The Blue Water Tower is what made me wanna take him to the Blue Water Cafe. Still not set on where to take him. I guess I'll have a better idea after sushi this Friday.

Panda:  So where are you taking Dad tomorrow?

Kev

My dad isn't here today (Father's Day) so we bumped dinner plans up to the 13th. Decided on Tojo's since it was a place that he had heard of by reputation and he seemed interested in going. I was hesitant at first because my dad knows his seafood and I knew that ambience alone wouldn't cut it.

After each course I would nervously glance up, trying to gauge their reactions. Many times there were nods of approval and they seemed to enjoy the experience overall. My dad concluded that the seafood at Tojo's was pretty good, but that you could find equally good and better seafood at much lower prices elsewhere.

It was my second time at Tojo's so the experience wasn't as special for me. Many of the items were a repeat from my previous visit. However, there were two dishes that I really enjoyed. A white fish spring roll and a smoked sable. Don't think I'll be having omakase at Tojo's anytime soon, there are many other places that I would like to explore.

Thanks again to everyone for their many suggestions and here are some pictures from our Father's Day dinner.