• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seafood Places in Vancouver

Panda

Not a big seafood fan but my dad is, looking for a place to take him for Father's Day but I'm not really sure where to go.

I guess some obvious choices would be the Blue Water Cafe and C Restaurant, but I'm hearing some mixed reviews about both places. Any type of seafood restaurant is good, not looking for anything in particular.

Should I just decide between Blue Water or C? Any good or bad experiences with either of them? Are there any other places out there that people like to get their seafood fix?

Not a big seafood fan but my dad is, looking for a place to take him for Father's Day but I'm not really sure where to go.

I guess some obvious choices would be the Blue Water Cafe and C Restaurant, but I'm hearing some mixed reviews about both places. Any type of seafood restaurant is good, not looking for anything in particular.

Should I just decide between Blue Water or C? Any good or bad experiences with either of them? Are there any other places out there that people like to get their seafood fix?

For upscale, I think C is your best bet. I went there just the other day and had a terrific meal.

For a little more casual, I'd suggest any of the Vancouver's better Chinese restaurants where you can have everything from abalone to lobster prepared the way you like them (Sun Sui Wah and Imperial come to mind although, if you're wiling to make the trip, Sea Harbour Seafood in Richmond is also a good bet).

LB

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

Hi Panda Bear,

I've had great experiences at both Blue Water Cafe and C, but if I had to guess, i'd say the negative stuff you've heard might be related to value, seeing as these places are pretty expensive. In terms of freshness and execution, however, these places are right at the top.

If you're looking for other options, my discerning friend Desmond loved The Fish House at Stanley Park, so that might be worth a shot. I also like Rodney's in Yaletown for oysters, and the environment is rowdier. Nu is also really good, and little more playful and less upscale than C. The original Chilo's on Victoria has my favorite shrimp cocktail in town. Some people forget the actual entire name of the orginal Chilo's is Chilo's Taqueria Y Marsicos (Chilo's Taqueria and Seafood).

In terms of Cantonese (different preparations than the above, but the epitomy of fresh as they'll often even bring out your choices live for you to approve before cooking), the above recommendations are good, but I'd add Kirin to the list.

Hope that helps.

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

Panda: What type of seafood is your Dad's favourite as that will narrow the choices down? Does it have to be downtown?

kevfoodvan

For upscale, I think C is your best bet.  I went there just the other day and had a terrific meal.

For a little more casual, I'd suggest any of the Vancouver's better Chinese restaurants where you can have everything from abalone to lobster prepared the way you like them (Sun Sui Wah and Imperial come to mind although, if you're wiling to make the trip, Sea Harbour Seafood in Richmond is also a good bet).

LB

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal. I'm wondering if Sea Harbour Seafood is the same place that my cousin suggested for lobster, she said it was very good. If it is I'll be adding this place to my list. Looks like my mom wants to go to Sun Sui Wah on my birthday, which is 2 days after Father's Day so I don't think it's an option.

Hi Panda Bear,

I've had great experiences at both Blue Water Cafe and C, but if I had to guess, i'd say the negative stuff you've heard might be related to value, seeing as these places are pretty expensive.  In terms of freshness and execution, however, these places are right at the top. 

If you're looking for other options, my discerning friend Desmond loved The Fish House at Stanley Park, so that might be worth a shot.  I also like Rodney's in Yaletown for oysters, and the environment is rowdier.  Nu is also really good, and little more playful and less upscale than C.  The original Chilo's on Victoria has my favorite shrimp cocktail in town.  Some people forget the actual entire name of the orginal Chilo's is Chilo's Taqueria Y Marsicos (Chilo's Taqueria and Seafood).

In terms of Cantonese (different preparations than the above, but the epitomy of fresh as they'll often even bring out your choices live for you to approve before cooking), the above recommendations are good, but I'd add Kirin to the list.

Hope that helps.

Hmmm, I was wondering if the quality really wasn't there or if people were just turned off by the high prices. Happy to hear that the quality was there for you. Wow, a lot of interesting suggestions. I'll take a look at each of their menus to narrow it down.

Panda: What type of seafood is your Dad's favourite as that will narrow the choices down? Does it have to be downtown?

kevfoodvan

Usually we'll be going for sushi or Chinese style seafood but I kind of wanted to take him some place a bit different. I think he's pretty open about how it's prepared as long as it's fresh and of good quality.

I heard from my mom that they went to some place around Granville Island (mentioned that the floating Esso station was close by), a place that was on a boat or a place that resembled one. She said that they didn't enjoy their meal there. Does anyone know what restaurant she may be referring to so that I can avoid adding it to my list.

Thanks for the input so far guys, really helpful for someone who's always avoided seafood places.

I would add the Dundarave Fish Market. A very cool place, with nice specials and a menu that let's you (or your) dad combine any sort of in-season seafood with any preparation.

Paul B

I would add the Dundarave Fish Market.  A very cool place, with nice specials and a menu that let's you (or your) dad combine any sort of in-season seafood with any preparation.

Just checked out their website "You can select your desired delicacy direct from our showcase, and our expert chefs will prepare it in the sauce of your choice." Sounds good to me. I'll also add this place to the list.

I heard from my mom that they went to some place around Granville Island (mentioned that the floating Esso station was close by), a place that was on a boat or a place that resembled one. She said that they didn't enjoy their meal there. Does anyone know what restaurant she may be referring to so that I can avoid adding it to my list.

Sounds like it could be Monks or The Sandbar

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

Nobody's mentione Go Fish! either. Right beside the Fisherman's Warf near Granville Island it has arguably the best fish & chips in the city, plus a fresh sheet that changes daily based on what's coming in off the boats. I had one of the best civiches ever there last summer.

Now if it only had a liquor liscence :raz:

A.

Have you decided on what your going to eat?  Would a father's day brunch that has a seafood component be the way to go?  I am sure most of the major hotels will have a brunch: Pan Pacific, Four Seasons etc, you might have to call around to see who has the most seafood selections.  Then at least you will also be able to dine also.

kevfoodvan

Hard to do a brunch on Father's Day since we're kinda busy on Sunday mornings, which is a shame since I've heard about a lot of Mother's/Father's Day brunch specials.

I haven't really managed to shorten the list since I'm pretty lost when it comes to seafood. Think I'll print out all the menus and then consult my mom about what she thinks. Since I have the time I might even drop by each place to check out the ambience.

I'll continue to update as I narrow down my search, thanks for all the help so far. I'll probably need more when I get caught between choices.

Sounds like it could be Monks or The Sandbar

sounds like it might NOT be either of those. Definitely not Monks, and not likely the Sandbar, if the floating Esso station is a landmark. Nothing like that off our deck on False Creek. Maybe your mom was at Coal Harbour? Here's a map of Granville Island...

http://www.granvilleisland.com/files/pdf/g..._island_map.pdf

For very casual, my vote goes to Rodney's in Yaletown, or Go Fish in Kits. For "better", Fish House, or Monks (try upstairs on a Friday or Saturday).

just my 2 bits.

Karen Dar Woon

sounds like it might NOT be either of those. Definitely not Monks, and not likely the Sandbar, if the floating Esso station is a landmark. Nothing like that off our deck on False Creek. Maybe your mom was at Coal Harbour? Here's a map of Granville Island...

For very casual, my vote goes to Rodney's in Yaletown, or Go Fish in Kits. For "better", Fish House, or Monks (try upstairs on a Friday or Saturday).

just my 2 bits.

Thanks Karen, I should probably just ask my dad. I'm sure he'll be able to give me more details.

Edited by Panda (log)

Sounds like Cardero's.......... or Lift?

just my 2 bits.

Thanks Karen, I should probably just ask my dad. I'm sure he'll be able to give me more details.

Hmmm, I'm not sure if the Esso station is really visible from Cardero's.

Narrowed it down a bit, if we're going more high-end I think I'd prefer Blue Water over C. Probably crossing Rodney's off since I think they'd prefer a more quiet place and because I don't like oysters :raz:.

Sea Harbour would probably appeal to my mom since she loves Chinese food. But then again this is Father's Day.

Other than this I haven't really narrowed the places down much :hmmm:.

Talked to my mom today and she thinks that my dad would like some Japanese style seafood. I think I saw some items like that at Blue Water, another option I thought of is Tojo's. If given the choice, which place would be the better option? And if none of the above, is there another higher end Japanese place that I could take him to? Thanks again for the help :smile:.

Blue Water came second in the best sushi category in the Straight's Golden Plates this year, I think.

For something more traditional, I'd pick Okada on Nelson Square every time. They have a daily fresh sheet that's hard to beat.

I second Okada - relaxed atmosphere, everything done well. Their dinner fresh sheet is always a winner - I recently had Monkfish Liver for the first time a couple of weeks ago - it was stellar. I think it is off the fresh sheet now - all eaten up!

Edit:

The idea of scouting Okada Sushi first just hit me. I'll head there later this week, maybe Friday, to check out the atmosphere. Thanks for the recommendation, it's always nice to hear about new places.

Edited by Panda (log)

If you do a scouting mission - make sure you have dinner there.  The fresh sheet is available only at dinner (and the lunch menu is smaller in general).

Ah, thanks for the warning. I was thinking of dropping by at lunch. I'll be sure to go there for dinner. Any favourites?

I would definitely recommend that you take him to Blue Water. The Raw Bar puts out some amazing Japanese preparations, their seafood is also always very fresh. If you want something very special get the Blue Water Tower or if possible the Live King Crab it's delicious. I hope you have a great time. :laugh:

"Dio non ha creato che l'aqua... l'uomo ha fatto il vino

-God created the water...man made the wine.

I would definitely recommend that you take him to Blue Water. The Raw Bar puts out some amazing Japanese preparations, their seafood is also always very fresh. If you want something very special get the Blue Water Tower or if possible the Live King Crab it's delicious. I hope you have a great time.  :laugh:

The Blue Water Tower is what made me wanna take him to the Blue Water Cafe. Still not set on where to take him. I guess I'll have a better idea after sushi this Friday.