• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rhubarb Chutney

lovebenton0

i have access to lots of beautiful rhubarb and i'm craving chutney. anyone have tips or recipes for me?

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I make this every year and have a fantastic recipe on a piece of paper some place that I have been looking for for 3 weeks now!!! I should know this recipe by heart! .. ..I promise I will post it for you when I find it ..I have a TON of rhubarb right now and have been wanting to make some as well ...

rhubarb makes a wonderful chutney when combined with lots of fresh ginger and this recipe has a lot in it ...

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I am murderously jealous of anyone with access to a wealth of rhubarb. Just so you know.

But chutney, to me, is always a mental tastebud thing. You want your sweet, your spicy, your hot, your fresh. I agree that ginger and rhubarb are soulmates. I would toss in some diced onion, a couple of jalapenos, some sultanas, a diced apple, a little brown sugar, some red pepper flakes, some cider vinegar. Maybe a finely diced sweet red pepper.

If I had rhubarb, that is.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I make a nice jam with rhubarb, ginger and strips of lemon peel. I think it's 2 1/2 cups sugar to each pound of rhubarb. I don't measure the lemon or fresh ginger. Not chutney, but still good.

If only I'd worn looser pants....

I am murderously jealous of anyone with access to a wealth of rhubarb. Just so you know.

Which leads to a peripheral question: does anyone have recommendations for Rhubarb varieties for the garden. The stuff in the markets is pretty lame/bland. I especially like to know north-westerners growth choices.

Robert

Seattle

i have access to lots of beautiful rhubarb and i'm craving chutney. anyone have tips or recipes for me?

One thing to keep in mind is that rhubarb breaks down quickly, so if you are wanting to keep a little of the shape of the diced rhubarb, watch it carefully.

My reccomendation would be to poach it in simple syrup really quickly and let it steep, then cool and marinate overnight. Don't be concerned if you taste it at this point and it is still a bit sour. As it sits, the sourness will mellow and it should be nicely balanced several hours later.

The next day, adjust the consistency (if needed), and add a squeeze or two of fresh lemon juice (if needed). It's doubtful you'd need to add any more sweetness, but do so if you think it needs it.

It can really be that simple.

Added things may be citrus zest/juices, ginger, black pepper, strawberries...basically whatever you want.

Good luck...hope I helped.

Edited by Qwerty (log)

But chutney, to me, is always a mental tastebud thing. You want your sweet, your spicy, your hot, your fresh.  I agree that ginger and rhubarb are soulmates.  I would toss in some diced onion, a couple of jalapenos, some sultanas, a diced apple, a little brown sugar, some red pepper flakes, some cider vinegar.  Maybe a finely diced sweet red pepper.

maggie dear, wish i could share some of this bounty with you. i am rolling in rhubarb heaven right now. almost impossible to get these ruby sticks in central tx, but now that i'm back north again, it's wonderful to have rhubarb in the garden plot here in the yard. and my neighbor gave me some of her massive amount of rhubarb today too. i'll even have enough to share with my dil, another jealous rhubarb lover. :biggrin:

thanks, all. good ideas from everyone. i'll be using some on the next batch tonight or tomorrow.

i jumped right in a few nights ago with one of my old fav rhubarb fruit combos and concocted spicy pineapple/rhubarb chutney. i added the recipe to rg just now. i tried out the jam setting on my kneadful thing for the first time while making this. i definitely plan to utilize jam thing more this season. and this indeed is a fine chutney for pork, chicken, salmon, and sharp cheddar grilled cheeses sandwiches.

i had this last night in green leaf lettuce wraps with salmon croquettes and jasmine rice. :wub:

hmmmm... may be switching ingredients around and using onion and serranos [i have serranos in fridge], in the next rhubarb chutney with dried apricots and some sweet bell pepper.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite