• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

$900 for a KitchenAid Mixer?

Batuta

Williams-Sonoma now has an "exclusive" KitchenAid Professional 620 stand mixer, for sale for a mere $899.95. :blink: Here's the link:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/e1...m?pkey=celtmxai

As far as I can tell, the only things that make it different than the several hundred dollars cheaper Pro 600 versions are: a) a metal "clad" rather than "finish" in copper or nickel alloy, b) possibly (not sure) a new dough hook shape and c) a seriously high price.

Same dimensions, capacity, wattage (not that it's a clear indicator), features as the Pro 600.

Are people willing to pay double the price for "pretty" or did I miss something?

looks like it's just a design thing. people pay that much for pretty faucets, so in that context it's not so much to pay for an appliance (if it matches your copper flooring, your copper spoon, and your copper hat ...)

i usually go the opposite route ... i'm still celebrating last week's ebay purchase of a hamilton beach commercial blender, in war-ravaged battleship gray, for $7 plus shipping.

Notes from the underbelly

• 3 years later...

Williams Sonoma isn't the first place I'd look for a good price... most of the things they sell are available elswhere at easily half the price they list. But I have to confess I enjoy browsing (and occasionally buying, even if they demand a kidney as payment) in their shops far more than in Bed Bath and Beyond.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I usually go with the practical, but when I saw that at the store, I wanted one. Not that I would pay that price for it, but it's one of those "if I win the lottery and can splurge" thing.

Actually, we're moving to Australia next month. If I have to replace my KA stand mixer there, the regular Pro runs about $800-$900....

Edited by annachan (log)

My first thought when I saw it last night was "I really hope that some sap doesn't pay for a mixer painted Copper." But, the W&S person assured me that it was actually made from rolled Copper sheets, and thus the reason for the enormous price tag (which, amusingly, wasn't displayed). The more I thought about it, the more I thought how beautiful a kitchen with all copper cookware (Some pictures of Julia Childs came to mind) would look with the stand mixer there. If you already have an entire set of copper cookware, $900 on a new mixer to match probably isn't a big deal.

Edited to add, that if I could reasonably afford it, I would get it too. It is really really pretty.

Edited by Boilerfood (log)

Copper pans and pots are culinarily useful--a copper stand mixer, not so much.

A copper mixing bowl for egg whites is another story. KitchenAid used to offer a copper liner for the bowl, but I haven't seen it available new in recent history. This company makes solid copper bowls for some of the KitchenAid mixers--

http://frenchcopperstudio.com/kitchenaid.html

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

(if it matches your copper flooring, your copper spoon, and your copper hat ...)

You have a copper hat?

That's COOL! But it must be a pain to shine every day -- what with the salt and sweat and hair oil and all getting on it.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

There is a sucker born every minute...

For some design follows function and there is no doubt that Kitchenaid stand mixers are functional. Mine is in tool shop gray, but I certainly like the looks of the copper clad. Since my cookware is all Falk copper, it should look right at home if i purchase one!-Dick

I usually go with the practical, but when I saw that at the store, I wanted one. Not that I would pay that price for it, but it's one of those "if I win the lottery and can splurge" thing.

Actually, we're moving to Australia next month. If I have to replace my KA stand mixer there, the regular Pro runs about $800-$900....

I bought a 3000 W transformer/voltage regulator so I could move my small appliances to Australia. For that price they should make a dual voltage version.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I bought a 3000 W transformer/voltage regulator so I could move my small appliances to Australia. For that price they should make a dual voltage version.

That's exactly what we're doing. Taking my KA over and just hope and pray that it won't give up on me anytime soon.

I'd be a little careful about converting a 110V appliance like this to 220. I'm living in Beijing and would love to bring a 110 from the States but KitchenAid warns against this on their forum and I've read in other places where people have had problems doing that. If anyone has some experiences regarding this to share I'd like to hear from them.

There's a 220 KitchenAid model available here (Model 5K5SS WA) 'on sale' for US$ 500. I covet it but I really can't justify spending that much money. A better option might be a slightly cheaper Kenwood.

There are local models available here, mostly intended for pastry shops as Chinese don't normally bake (although it's a little trendy with housewives at the moment). The hotel supply place that sells the KitchenAid has a local model for about US$ 300 which I hear works reliably but it's kind of a clunkier looking Artisan-type style and I don't have that much counter space.

Oh well, I'm waiting for a better local model or the RMB to appreciate some more! That copper mixer really looks cool.

Maybe I would have more friends if I didn't eat so much garlic?

I'd be a little careful about converting a 110V appliance like this to 220. I'm living in Beijing and would love to bring a 110 from the States but KitchenAid warns against this on their forum and I've read in other places where people have had problems doing that. If anyone has some experiences regarding this to share I'd like to hear from them.

Well, it's worked for me so far, but your electrons may vary. What problems did people have? One thing, particularly with motorized equipment is to be sure you have a high-enough wattage unit for the start-up pulse. That can be around 2 times the rated value, I think. Mine is rated for continuous usage and I chose the size, based on the espresso maker. I believe there are some electronic things sensitive to the frequency 50 vs 60 Hz but even my rice cooker works.

Well, it's worked for me so far, but your electrons may vary. What problems did people have? One thing, particularly with motorized equipment is to be sure you have a high-enough wattage unit for the start-up pulse. That can be around 2 times the rated value, I think. Mine is rated for continuous usage and I chose the size, based on the espresso maker. I believe there are some electronic things sensitive to the frequency 50 vs 60 Hz but even my rice cooker works.

Maybe the issue is that people are just using a converter and not a transformer? I read a little about it on a place that sells transformers. I'm hoping the transformer will serve me well or I'm looking into spending major $$$$ to replace the KA....

Well folks, I'll be right upfront and state that just about anything electrical is out of my league. I was too smart for my own good in school but failed electronics horribly. I've never understood why I can't get my head around it.

Anyway, I have looked into 110V KitchenAid mixers in 220 land and it's not encouraging. I believe that it's something to do with:

• the size of the motor (it's not an expresso machine, but, I don't drink expresso so perhaps they're more complicated than I imagine)
  • the amount of current it needs
  • some peculiararity of the unit (perhaps the planetary action?)

So...if there's anyone out there that has some experiences to share, particularly with KitchenAid standing mixers, I'd like to hear about it. Actually, US$ 500 isn't so bad but that model doesn't accept some attachments (like the ice cream one) and manual kneading works for me, once or twice a week.

Maybe I would have more friends if I didn't eat so much garlic?

Well folks, I'll be right upfront and state that just about anything electrical is out of my league. I was too smart for my own good in school but failed electronics horribly. I've never understood why I can't get my head around it.

Anyway, I have looked into 110V KitchenAid mixers in 220 land and it's not encouraging. I believe that it's something to do with:

• the size of the motor (it's not an expresso machine, but, I don't drink expresso so perhaps they're more complicated than I imagine)
  • the amount of current it needs
  • some peculiararity of the unit (perhaps the planetary action?)

So...if there's anyone out there that has some experiences to share, particularly with KitchenAid standing mixers, I'd like to hear about it. Actually, US$ 500 isn't so bad but that model doesn't accept some attachments (like the ice cream one) and manual kneading works for me, once or twice a week.

Well, I can amplify a bit on my experience if you want. I have the low end tilt-head mixer. My 3000 W transformer is certainly big enough to handle any transient demand from the 300 W mixer. So in terms of voltage and wattage, there isn't a problem that I can see. The 50 Hz frequency here is different. That's something I don't understand very well but as near as I can tell from the great internet font of wisdom, the speeds may be about 20% slower. I can't tell but I seldom need top speed anyway. I haven't used the mixer much (maybe now my oven is finally fixed...) but it runs. It appears the same units are sold in Japan where they have 50 Hz - or is it 50 or 60 Hz, depending on where you live? Interestingly, the 220 models appear to be rated for both frequencies.

If I were Kitchenaid, I wouldn't advise someone to do it as a CYA. In fact I wouldn't advise you to do it. But I have yet to see any reason to worry about my system and even if it burns out eventually (can't see why it would), I haven't lost anything.

Motors are designed to work at certain voltages and frequency. Altering either voltage or frequency or both will affect both the power produced, efficiency and may well in fact cause damage over the long term. Using a 120V motor in a 220v environment is a definite no-no as the motor will smoke, literally.

Using a 50hz designed motor in a 60 hz system will probably not result in any immediate damage but motors and appliances have Fire Code ratings and are tested by Underwriters Laboratory and without that certification for USA operation on a 120v, 60hz system that we employ for most household items, an appliance should not be used in the USA for safety sake.-Dick