• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I give the lyric, you identify the artist and song

OK, three more:

(1) and you've just had some kind of mushroom

(2) I'll taste your strawberries, I'll drink your sweet wine

(again with the strawberries! :rolleyes: )

OK, those two are easy. This one is more obscure, and may be the shortest song of the game:

(3) a little piece o' cheese, and a little piece o' meat

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

OK, three more:

(again with the strawberries!  :rolleyes: )

OK, those two are easy.  This one is more obscure, and may be the shortest song of the game:

I think #2 is "Today" perfromed by John Denver. I'm shaky on the title but it was on his live album from the universal ampitheater in the mid-70s.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

OK, three more:

(again with the strawberries!  :rolleyes: )

OK, those two are easy.  This one is more obscure, and may be the shortest song of the game:

I think #2 is "Today" perfromed by John Denver. I'm shaky on the title but it was on his live album from the universal ampitheater in the mid-70s.

You got the title right. I'd forgotten John Denver recorded that song, but I may still have it around somewhere! At least one group recorded it in the, erm, early (I think) 60's. Anyone?

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

You got the title right.  I'd forgotten John Denver recorded that song, but I may still have it around somewhere!  At least one group recorded it in the, erm, early (I think) 60's.  Anyone?

I found an listing for The New Christy Minstrels but no date.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

"I'll be clickin' by your house 'bout 2.45/A sidewalk sundae strawberry surprise/I got a cherry Popsicle, right on time, a big stick momma, that'll blow your mind"

That's Tom Waits, Ice Cream Man

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

You got the title right.  I'd forgotten John Denver recorded that song, but I may still have it around somewhere!  At least one group recorded it in the, erm, early (I think) 60's.  Anyone?

That's who I had in mind!

i haven't read through all the posts, so pardon if I repeat:

'it looks a lot like engine oil and tastes like being poor and small/and popsicles...in summer'

Edited by phlawless (log)

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

According to Google, 1964

one more:

i could make a career of being blue

I could dress in black and read Camus

smoke clove cigarettes and drink vermouth

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

one more:

No googling here, actually think I remember this being Bongwater, from the album Too Much Sleep. Don't remember the name of the song. If that ain't it, they ripped off Bongwater!!!!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

How about:

You'd already sogged up a whole plate of potato chips,

but the management didn't mind, because you were a regular customer.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

one more:

No googling here, actually think I remember this being Bongwater, from the album Too Much Sleep. Don't remember the name of the song. If that ain't it, they ripped off Bongwater!!!!

try again...and he definitely did NOT rip off bongwater....

Here's a few more:

1) lately I have been spotted With a Big Mac on my breath

2) Strawberries cherries and an angel´s kiss in spring

3) And Papa said to Mama as he passed around the blackeyed peas

4) I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine

#4: Isn't it good? Norwegian Wood...The Beatles

Also, for the record

Eat a lot of peaches is, in fact, John Prine, Spanish Pipe Dream. One of my favorites from him.

Give my stomach to Milwaukee.. is also Prine (Please Don't Bury Me Down in the Cold, Cold Ground)

Clickin' by your house... is Tom Waits' Ice Cream Man. I love the song but confess I really wanted to use Swordfishtrombone...

Can anyone get the rest?

"somebody steal the peanut butter

I've got a can of sardines

runnin' up and down the aisles of the mini mart

stuffin' food in our jeans"

The Great Peanut Butter Conspiracy - Jimmy Buffett

Here's a few more:

1) lately I have been spotted With a Big Mac on my breath

2) Strawberries cherries and an angel´s kiss in spring

3) And Papa said to Mama as he passed around the blackeyed peas

4) I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine

#4: Isn't it good? Norwegian Wood...The Beatles

Also, for the record

Eat a lot of peaches is, in fact, John Prine, Spanish Pipe Dream. One of my favorites from him.

Give my stomach to Milwaukee.. is also Prine (Please Don't Bury Me Down in the Cold, Cold Ground)

Clickin' by your house... is Tom Waits' Ice Cream Man. I love the song but confess I really wanted to use Swordfishtrombone...

Can anyone get the rest?

The others listed here have been gotten, or at least partially, upthread. Here's a summary, with a couple of gaps filled in:

#1 is "Junk Food Junkie" - I had that - author/singer was Larry Groce.

#2 is "Summer Wine", Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood (not Lee somebody as I'd written earlier)

#3 is "Ode to Billie Joe", Bobbie Gentry, already stated upthread (by others) after several near misses.

Still unaswered:

a. "Eating on a raisin, grape, apricot, pomegranate, bowl of chitterlings, two bananas, three Hershey bars, sipping on a "R C" Co-Cola..."

c. "I brought the fishin' poles the pork and beans the saltine crackers and the canned sardines, and Harold brought all the booze one man could tote."

e. "They eat to grow, grow to die

Die to be eaten at the hamburger fry

Cows well done"

g. "(Twit) I don't like rum...

(Captain) You don't like rum?

(Twit) Well no, actually...well, I might like a little Perrier

(Captain) A little Perrier?

(Twit) With a lime in it...

(Captain) A lime in it?..... He wants a lime in it.....

(Twit) Well, do you have any Escargot?

(Captain) Escar..what?

(Twit) What's the soup today?...

(Captain) Soup!?..."

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Still unaswered:

a. "Eating on a raisin, grape, apricot, pomegranate, bowl of chitterlings, two bananas, three Hershey bars, sipping on a "R C" Co-Cola..."

Is that Ray Stevens' "Ahab the Arab"? :cool: That Fatima, whom he snuck off to visit in the middle of the night, had a powerful appetite. I don't remember the chitterlings, but the rest sounds right. :laugh: