• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Especially memorable?

When you have to review them, they're all memorable. A few highlights, however:

The Ryland Inn, for its herb garden, complete with slightly menacing dog, and for a late-summer tomato appetizer that was off every chart.

Charrito's, in Union City, for its amazing and unexpected superrealist décor and (repeat all adjectives, including superrealist) chicken mole.

Rat's, for the Sculpture Garden.

The James Beard House in Manhattan, where the great man used to cook on a stove with electric burners (before my time, however).

And La Mère Blanc, in Vonnas, France, a Michelin 3-star where my wife and I ate on our honeymoon. Georges Blanc, who looked impossibly young, came out of the kitchen and signed our menu, wishing us une bonne lune de miel.

I drove through Vonnas this summer- It is now the town of Georges Blanc- He is everywhere and his restaurant is enormous. We did not have the opportunity to eat there but my cousin who lives in Macon has been there several times and says it is fabulous.