• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Excellent Dim sum in London

I'm coming to London for a visit, arriving this Saturday, May 19th. I miss dim sum and I'd really like to go to Royal China on Queensway but my Mum has health issues and it's not safe for her to travel on the Tube.

Can eGulleters give suggestions of London Chinese restaurants that serve very good dim sum but are accessible by car (with a car park or ample parking nearby) or on close accessible on British Rail on stations that terminate in Waterloo?

I would like to pay Chinese dim sum prices so I'm not interested in going to the fancier restaurants or those that do fusion. I'm very old school when it comes to dim sum and yes, it must be authentic so chicken feet on the menu is a must.

I plan on going on either Sunday, May 20 or Sat May 26.

Thanks.

Edited by Foodie_Penguin (log)

The branch of Royal China near Canary wharf is superb, and there is a carpark underneath at Westferry Circus. I've never had any problems parking there at weekends, and it's one of my favourite London restaurants - especially on a sunny day when you can lunch outside and look at the river. I THINK there is a lift for disabled people to get up from the carpark to the riverside - if not there are stairs (not too many). But I imagine the restaurant can tell you about this if you call them.

Fuchsia

The branch of Royal China near Canary wharf is superb, and there is a carpark underneath at Westferry Circus. I've never had any problems parking there at weekends, and it's one of my favourite London restaurants - especially on a sunny day when you can lunch outside and look at the river. I THINK there is a lift for disabled people to get up from the carpark to the riverside - if not there are stairs (not too many). But I imagine the restaurant can tell you about this if you call them.

Fuchsia

Thanks for that. I didn't even know there was a Royal China in Docklands. I used to live a stone's throw from the RC in St. John's Wood (is it even there any longer?). The food was good but not the same as the original RC on Queensway.

I second that opinion of the Canary Wharf Branch of Royal China, Just to add that they do not take bookings on a Sunday and if you get there after 1pm there is usually a queue to get in.

Although they will give you a ticket and an estimated time for your table so if it is a nice day you can go for a walk along the river. There is also a bar area to sit and wait so your Mum should be OK.

Also note I think the finish serving the full dim sum menu at about 6pm on a Sunday so it would need to be lunch.

If you do not want to drive the Thames Clipper riverbus stops right outside and it it a ramp to walk from the pier not steps

Lorna

Pearl Liang is 3 minutes walk from Paddington, and absolutely first class. No queing problems, and if anything better than Royal China.

Dragon Castle in the elephant would be the closest place to Waterloo. Reasonable quality, incongruous location, not as stellar as Royal China but it might do. There's also a mainline station at Elephant but I haven't the foggiest as to whether its on the Waterloo line (I'd suspect its mroe on the lines going into London Bridge).

Phoenix Palace, that old standby, is nr Baker Street tube although I suppose if you're in that area you might as well drive to Pearl Liang (although bit of a pain in the arse navigating the M40/flyover/flyunder to get to it) or the Royal China branch on Baker St (beware big queues). There's plenty of parking in that neck of the woods, particularly in the side roads off Baker St.

Actually come to think of it on Sundays you can probably park in the Queensway area - park on the main road which runs along the side of Hyde Park (though you may need to go a bit further down to find a space).

All in all if you're not fagged about driving (and queuing) for a bit I'd say Royal Chinas in Baker St or Canary Wharf (they're probably equidistant from Waterloo). If you worried about practicalities just schlep along to Dragon Castle.

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Pearl Liang is 3 minutes walk from Paddington, and absolutely first class. No queing problems, and if anything better than Royal China.

Dragon Castle in the elephant would be the closest place to Waterloo. Reasonable quality, incongruous location, not as stellar as Royal China but it might do. There's also a mainline station at Elephant but I haven't the foggiest as to whether its on the Waterloo line (I'd suspect its mroe on the lines going into London Bridge).

Phoenix Palace, that old standby, is nr Baker Street tube although I suppose if you're in that area you might as well drive to Pearl Liang (although bit of a pain in the arse navigating the M40/flyover/flyunder to get to it) or the Royal China branch on Baker St (beware big queues). There's plenty of parking in that neck of the woods, particularly in the side roads off Baker St.

Actually come to think of it on Sundays you can probably park in the Queensway area - park on the main road which runs along the side of Hyde Park (though you may need to go a bit further down to find a space).

All in all if you're not fagged about driving (and queuing) for a bit I'd say Royal Chinas in Baker St or Canary Wharf (they're probably equidistant from Waterloo). If you worried about practicalities just schlep along to Dragon Castle.

J

Based on the fact that I'm visiting the UK and that getting to the restauant will not be convenient for my Mum, if the food is not as good as Royal China (I'm keeping this as the benchmark), I'd rather give Dragon Castle a miss.

Can you tell me more about Phoenix Place? They serve dim sum on weekend lunchtimes? Is it authentic? e.g. chicken feet and the food does not get wheeled around on carts.

There is a MasterPark on Queensway, no further than 200m from the Royal China.  Otherwise, if you're there at around 12.00ish, you can usually sneak a spot on Inverness Terrace - parallel to Queensway to the east.

It's more than likely we won't be driving. I know about the car park on Queensway. Last time my Mum went to RC on Queensway, that's where she parked.

Phoenix Palace is EXTREMELY good and very authentic - always filled with smart Cantonese people. Went there last week for dim sum and it was better than my last visit to one of the Royal Chinas. Dinner is pretty good too.

Fuchsia

Pearl Liang is the new blood of chinese restaurant, and if I have to choose between Phoenix Palace and Pearl Liang, I would choose Pearl Liang. If you are choosing basing on authenticity, I am afraid you cannot judge by trolleys, as most of the chinese restuarant nowadays, even in Hong Kong don't do trolleys anymore. Decor-wise, Phoenix Palace definitely has the chinese touch, food-wise, I would go for Pearl Liang (its decor is very modern).

Phoenix Palace is EXTREMELY good and very authentic - always filled with smart Cantonese people. Went there last week for dim sum and it was better than my last visit to one of the Royal Chinas. Dinner is pretty good too.

Fuchsia

Agreed-and has been on another level since about last december.

food-wise, I would go for Pearl Liang (its decor is very modern).

The decor looks good, but it has the worst-designed chairs I have ever come across in a London restaurant - pure instruments of torture.