• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New old Berkel slicer

DerekW

Thanks to the wonders of eBay, we are now owners of 95 lbs of Berkel 1600 slicer. The serial number plate has patent application dates running from 1926 to 1940, and the main castings are iron rather than aluminum. Serial number is 1611/911.

The blade has no dings, the bushings and bearings all appear sound and it looks like it should be just the thing for slicing the home-made charcuterie, but the ancient drive belts are shot. For once, Google is proving less than informative; does anyone know of an online resource for information and parts?

Hmm.

The vendor's picture of the machine is the only one I currently have showing it in one piece:

gallery_42308_4645_9638.jpg

At present the unit is stripped down to its component parts for cleaning and lubrication - several parts were stiff or seized. If anyone needs to see something specific to identify the machine beyond the make, model and serial number I'd be delighted to take the appropriate picture :smile:

The two belts are not very photogenic; regular 1/2 inch wide cloth-backed rubber V-belts, so beaten and broken that the diametric measurements are suspect, but apparently 5 3/4" and 5 1/4" OD. They are both marked 'US Slicing Machine'. One carries the additional information '4L-180' and the other [smaller] says '4812-3 GILMER 3170'

Did you contact Berkel?

Yes, or at least their authorised part source hereabouts. This machine is too old for them. Hopefully I'll be able to find suitable belts at an industrial supply place. There are a couple of parts of the machine which are resisting my attempts at disassembly, and I was hoping for an exploded diagram or similar guidance on what was meant to be taken apart, and what was not. A source for things like uncommonly long springs for the feed table and suchlike would have been nice, but we'll get by. The machine is from an age where the service tool kit meant two screwdrivers and a wrench.

cheers

Derek

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Some industrial supply house would be the place. The machine probably used off the shelf items and belts of all sizes are availible.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.