• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: yunnermeier - Malaysia Truly Asia

Thanks for all the work and fun you put into this blog, yunnermeier! I was hoping it would go longer, but for the blogger, the week is exhausting, so enjoy not having to take photos of everything you eat and reply to many questions. :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

Ooh, I definitely had a wonderful time blogging! Oh and Abra, I'm the one on the right!

Since it's still open:

Matcha

gallery_21328_3810_1142461.jpg

with some freshly baked Korova cookies. Instead of 150grams chocolate, I used 100grams chocolate and 50 grams Reese's peanut butter cups. I think my oven was a little too hot too (the knob is broken so I don't know what temperature it really is!) as some were flatter with bubbly holes. I've made this 3-4 times in The Netherlands and it was really easy but it might just be too hot and humid here too.. it (the dough) literally melted in my hands but it still tastes very ,very good!

gallery_21328_3810_19071.jpg

What's cooking...

gallery_21328_3810_281404.jpg

Pounding the kerisik (toasted dessicated coconut) to add into the rendang

gallery_28660_4644_8094.jpg

Ta-da

gallery_28660_4644_1240.jpg

The nasi lemak (not really cooked yet) . You can see a screwpine leaf. Underneath the rice is a giant banana leaf. The rice is steamed.

gallery_28660_4644_16567.jpg

OK, I really should sign off for good instead of overstaying my welcome! Good bye!

ETA: The funniest thing is dad just came back with a packet of nasi lemak and rendang for his lunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess this is what happens when you've been married for nearly all your life- you even think the same... :rolleyes:

Edited by yunnermeier (log)

Before you go, what does your moniker, yunnermeier, refer to? I'm guessing that's a Dutch word? Thanks for the great blog; I'm gonna miss it.

Michael aka "Pan"

yunnermeier thank you so much for this week! (and thank your parents too!)

The food looked so wonderful. Too bad I will never learn the secrets of spekkoek though... :wink:

I hope Farmboy will love Malaysia. How could he not? All the best for the future, and keep in touch when you're in my part of the world again!

Chufi, Pm-ed you (and SuzySushi) the layer cake recipe! Don't worry. I'm just not posting it permanently here:D

And Pan, it's a long story - it's just one of those things made up in high school and which actually stuck.....

Markemorse, I've also PM-ed you the chili garam chicken recipe.

Edited by yunnermeier (log)

Yunnermeier - thank you for such a colorful and wonderful blog! I instinctively knew it was you on the far right. You're such a lovely girl and your friends are so pretty too! Later, I'm gonna check out your old blog. :biggrin:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I hope I'm not too late to add on! (I have a bad habit of forgetting where I've posted...)

Thanks for the offer of your mom's char siew bau. I'd love to see it, but no hurries. It's getting a bit too hot to cook much in Japan, so I probably wouldn't be making it until the fall.

I'd love to see the spice cake recipe, too, if it's not too much trouble!

And I hope you'll start a topic on all your and farmer boy's adventures when he visits Malaysia! I know he doesn't like to have his picture taken, but I'd love to see his reaction if you take him somewhere that has lots of weird animal parts and such for sale. Who knows, he might end up liking them! (This might be too personal a question, but you're moving back to the Netherlands, right?)

Thanks, Doddie!

I hope I'm not too late to add on!  (I have a bad habit of forgetting where I've posted...)

Thanks for the offer of your mom's char siew bau.  I'd love to see it, but no hurries.  It's getting a bit too hot to cook much in Japan, so I probably wouldn't be making it until the fall. 

I'd love to see the spice cake recipe, too, if it's not too much trouble! 

And I hope you'll start a topic on all your and farmer boy's adventures when he visits Malaysia!  I know he doesn't like to have his picture taken, but I'd love to see his reaction if you take him somewhere that has lots of weird animal parts and such for sale.  Who knows, he might end up liking them!  (This might be too personal a question, but you're moving back to the Netherlands, right?)

I'll PM you the layer cake recipe and I'll put the char siew bau recipe on RecipeGullet asap!

Yes, I'm going back to the Netherlands in July. I think I will anyway but honestly, I don't really want to! It's no fun being poor and jobless there but sacrifices are normal, huh;)

This has been a great adventure, Yunnermeier. Thanks so much for sharing. I have been dreaming about roti canai ever since you posted the picture. How hard can it be to make the stuff, really?!

I hope to bring my husband and kids to your part of the world soon. I really want them to have some of the experiences I had during my visits there - it's pretty magical.

Yunnermeier: Thank you for a delightful week. Your luscious pictures have me dreaming of Malaysian food, too. I hope to break out Cradle of Flavor this weekend – spiced braised Nyonya pork, sambal belacan, Javanese cucumber and carrot pickle, and warm spiced limeade are sure looking good.

Best wishes in your culinary and romantic endeavors. :smile:

Thank you for such a colorful and flavorful (in my imagination anyway) week. I hope you and FarmBoy have a great two weeks introducing him to your part of the world. Food culture shock can be difficult to overcome. Best to you both!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Sorry I've been distracted much of the week (there was a hotly contested local election and I'm rehearsing for our end-of-season choral concert), but I must say that you are blessed to have so much wonderful food to eat around you. Tell me: Is there an "obesity epidemic" in Malaysia?

Your photos are wonderful! And you really should share those recipes with a larger audience.

Thanks for showing us the wonders of Malaysia this week!

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Thanks, Sweetpea, for all the wonderful tour---your pictures and descriptions have been great.

And I'd almost believe you've got yourself a Malaysian version of the Mississippi Walkin' Catfish. Couldn't see any whiskers in that photo, but it just COULD be.

It fits all the description you gave, down to the "few bones" bit.

Try them deep-fried, headless, skinned, whole, with a breading of corn meal, salt and pepper. Hushpuppy recipe available upon request. :biggrin:

Thanks for the lovely trip!!

Yunnermeier: What an exciting blog! One of these years, I hope to make it to Malaysia and experience these culinary adventures for myself. For now, I've enjoyed them vicariously through your evocative writing and photos.

(And thanks for the recipe... I've PM'ed you with a question about it.)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Thanks for a great blog, a great week and the recipe!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

What a fascinating blog! Sorry I wasn't able to contribute more substantively. I can see that I've still got a hell of a lot of catching up to do on Malaysian cuisines (alas, there seem to be extremely few Malaysian restaurants in San Diego). Anyway, thanks for presenting all those ravishing foods--I'm intrigued and inspired.