• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

COMIDAS LATINO

fedelst

Have you ever just all of a sudden had a craving for yucca con cebolla? Or Hallacas? Or perhaps an Arepa Reina Pepiada? Or Chivo Guisado? If so, you are either a home sick Latino/ Latina, or you are an omnivore looking for your next fix. I fall into the latter category.

In Montreal, to most outside the Latin American community, the thought of anything south of the US/Mexican border brings to mind Tacos, Nachos, and Enchiladas, or the thoughts mostly of what could be called gringo Mexican / TexMex. Unfortunately, despite their being a number of good Latin American spots, most cater to specific nationalities and outside these communities one would be hard pressed to find them… It could be chalked up to bad marketing, or the fact that they only want to target their own folk. Yet, many of these establishments seem to want to build clientele, but do not know how.

So, putting the Carlo’s and Pepe’s, and the three Amigos behind us, where might you recommend as authentic and good Latin and south American food?

Let me start the list:

Venezuelan - La Tasca St. Hubert and Villeray, 7671 RUE ST. HUBERT, www.latasca.com Authentic Venezuelan dishes, Excellent Pabillon, Arepas, and other traditional Venezuelan dishes. The owners of this new restaurant have truly hit the nail on the head in delivering reasonably priced and filling Venezuelan fare. Definitely worth the trip.

Mexican – Le Coin Mexique, Jean Talon near Iberville. When you see more Mexicans than gringos, you know they must be doing something right. From the exotic to the common, they have an excellent selection including some of the best Tortilla soup in the city (I Miss the Chicheron that they stopped putting in it), the fresh hot Sopes, and Chiles Rellenos.

Diverse - Andes Market – St. Laurent, south of Mount Royal. Quick Lunch counter with a good selection of a variety of latin American and South American dishes. Not fine cuisine, but it is the perfect lunch.

Chilean / El Salvadorian / Peruvian / Argentinian - Carniceria Mondial, just easof the the Jean Talon Market. This butcher shop and lunch counter serves up some tasty pupusas, Carnitas, empanadas, and other tasty quick bites. Just don't ask the butcher for a Punta Trasera. They have no clue... (Any suggestions on where I can find this cut of beef)?

I miss Mora’s on St. Zotique, that used to dish up some of the best food from the Dominican Republic, and am looking for another DR joint…. Any suggestions?

Any other recommendations?

Edited by fedelst (log)

Veni. Vidi. Voro.

has anyone been to gaucho on parc near bernard? i don't even know if it is still there. i am looking to find a good veal milanesa like the good stuff i ate in uruguay.

that store on st laurent north of pins just south of the dollarama is good for mate and dulce de leche, get the conaprole brand, it's the best.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

has anyone been to gaucho on parc near bernard?  i don't even know if it is still there.  i am looking to find a good veal milanesa like the good stuff i ate in uruguay. 

that store on st laurent north of pins just south of the dollarama is good for mate and dulce de leche, get the conaprole brand, it's the best.

You are referring to ....Librarie Espagnole, they have awesome Chorico as well. Just the way I like them, Spicy, and towards the dry side.

Mmmmm...... I'm ready for second breakfast now...

Veni. Vidi. Voro.