• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BAD SERVICE

fedelst

This Saturday Lesley Chesterman's column features the 'impeccable service of Guy et Dodo' that moribund French restaurant in the Les Cours Montreal, that most the world has just about forgotten. The odd thing about this article is, that it is the location of my most horrific restaurant service experience, and it I am surprised that it would even hit the list of anyone’s fine dining list, let alone be reviewed for (what is it) the one 1000th time.

Perhaps this is truly an indication that our fair city is in desperate need for more fine dining establishments. I would at least look outside our island to such places as AU TOURNANT DE LA RIVIÈRE, in Carignan before going back to review humdrum establishments such as Guy et Dodo… or perhaps I never got over my most enjoyable evening with Mrs. Morali some years back.

Perhaps, it is all in the line of duty to go back every few years, to update your reviews, and perhaps Guy et Dodo has improved, but after my experience, don’t count me as one to test the waters again.

So, what happened? I am glad you asked.

Grab a drink, and enjoy the ride ………….…….

I admit this incident goes back some years, but is cherished as one of my most memorable dining experiences. Unfortunately, memorable due to the non-stop events that lead to what would have been a challenge for a screen writer to even imagine as the content for a sitcom.

The setting is a late fall weekday evening at about 7:30, the restaurant is a very empty Guy et Dodo, with only 2 tables occupied at opposite corners of the restaurant. I arrive with my girlfriend on time to our reservation, which is clearly not needed this night. We are seated by the Maître’d directly in front of the entrance. We ask to be seated in a more comfortable location; I suggest a nice table closer to the center of the establishment. The Maître’d assure us that a small side table will be far more cozy. We accept his judgment. As the night goes on, we start to question this as our table was located to the edge of the bar right next to the service inventory, and glasses. Through the next few hours, we are continually being squeezed by wait staff each time they need a glass, spoon coffee cup or napkin.

As we sit at the table waiting, we realize after 10 minutes that the service staff are few and far between, and not interested at all in offering any service what so ever to us. (Note: We are both young business people at the time, and were in our early 30's. We were not badly dressed, or rude, but perhaps we did not fit their vision of what they were looking for as a desired client). Noticing a couple menus on the edge of the bar, my date had reached over and helped herself them.

About a half hour later we had been able to get the attention of one of the wait staff, who we informed, that we were ready to order. He promptly came back and asked if we would be interested in a drink. We placed our orders for drinks as well as our dinner at the same time. I ordered the clam soup, she ordered the boudin blanc, and we both ordered the Salmon Tartare.

After ~ 20 minutes our drinks arrived, ice melted and a bit watery. After another 30 minutes our soup and boudin arrived. The boudin were fine, but the soup had been sitting for a bit too long and had been reduced to a point where the soup was gummy, and so salty that you could almost feel crystals forming. I informed the waitehr that the soup was inedible, and was offered a replacement. I refused as my date had already finished her starter, and did not wish to delay dinner any longer.

After an hour of patiently waiting for our main meal, I finally notice Mme. Morali and motion to her to come over. I mention that we have been waiting for an hour for dinner, and were getting quite hungry. To which she regales us in a story about how there was a tragedy in the kitchen, and that the chef has severely cut his hand in the preparation of the Salmon tartare and that there was blood everywhere, and that she was afraid she would have to call an ambulance to tend to the cut, as it was so grave.

I expressed empathy over the situation, and asked for her to please cancel our order for (nice pink) salmon tartare, as her story had caused me to become rather queasy, and that I have truly lost my appetite.

She would not take no for an answer, and told us that our plates would be out immediately, to which she turned on her heels and made a bee line for the kitchen, and promptly returned with 2 plates of nice pink salmon tartare that she ceremoniously positioned 4" above the table in front of both of us, and dropped simultaneously on to the table.

Not heeding our better judgment due to the onset of hunger, we ate the few small lumps of Salmon. As we were just about to put the last bite into our mouths, Mme. Morali returns to the table with 2 bowls of cold fries which she casually drops on to the table in front of us, causing both bowls to tip on their landing.

Now totally concerned for our safety, we decide to pay the bill and leave before she thinks up further antics.

That evening we could not help but ponder what was happening at Guy et Dodo that would cause such a series of events. Yet, nothing within the scope of reason was evident. We did nothing to offend anyone. After all, the soup was truly inedible, and the story of the bleeding chef with a kitchen full of blood was more than enough to turn anyone off. We chalked it up to a bad night..

The following morning, I just could not take it anymore, and I decided to call Mme. Morali and ask her myself what happened. BIG MISTAKE.. HUGE MISTAKE!!!!.... I mentioned to Mme. Morali who I was, and that I appreciate the reputation that her restaurant has, and was just perplexed at why we were the victim of such a series of events.... to which she retorts... " ah, Mr. XXX perhaps you should go back to eating with plastic knives and forks as you are so accustomed to at MacDonald's....Then Click and a dial tone.

Hmmmm... Clearly there are some deeply rooted issues I am not aware of.

That evening, I mention to my Girlfriend the conversation I had earlier on. Now we are both totally confused, and have determined that someone is in serious need for a hug, or Prozac, or something.

Fast forward 2 years, I am standing at the arrivals section fo the Martinique airport with my girlfriend and her aunt (... Oh did I forget to mention her aunt was at the time a prominent minister in the Quebec Government... I guess I did...oh well)waiting for her uncle to arrive, when all of a sudden Mme. Morali comes rushing up to my girlfriends aunt like an old friend. Being very aware of the story, the aunt immediately introduces her neice and her Boyfriend Mr. XXX, when Mme. Morali's jaw hits the floor, and she disapears as fast as she arrived.

Caveat emptor.

One might come to the conclusion that we had done something or anything to offend the staff or guests. I swear to you, other than ask to move from a cramped table right in front of the door to the mall, we had not made a peep. Go figure.

Edited by fedelst (log)

Veni. Vidi. Voro.

fedelst:

Thanks for the morning chuckle.

Given my typical "black humour" [?] I will save this anecdote until the next time we head to the west coast and someone orders salmon tartare.....

The use of the name/term "dodo"...at least for a Western Canadian... has particular apparent application here.

Wow, what a story!

But I can assure you Mme. Morali offered us incredibly friendly service. I would never had said so if she hadn't.

Yet I have to say that most of the time I really do get excellent service when I go out to review. I think it's because I talk to the waiters and really try to be friendly.

I think Mme. Morali is just great, and as far as I know I don't think she recognized me. If so, so be it. But she's very nice. I can't say the food is fantastic, but there's something about that place that I just like.

As for Au Tournant de la Riviere, I reviewed the restaurant years ago and would never go back. My food was just OK and the waitress was odd and not very friendly at all. I actually hated the place. Like bad country contemporary. Yuck.

And yes, you're right. Montreal doesn't have a lot of new restos this year. But I also think it's important to keep the old places in the loop (and I last reviewed Guy and Dod six years ago, which is twice as long as my three year rule). I now have to alternate new places with old, so next week's will be new.

Well... sort of...

Wow, what a story!

But I can assure you Mme. Morali offered us incredibly friendly service. I would never had said so if she hadn't.

Yet I have to say that most of the time I really do get excellent service when I go out to review. I think it's because I talk to the waiters and really try to be friendly.

I think Mme. Morali is just great, and as far as I know I don't think she recognized me. If so, so be it. But she's very nice. I can't say the food is fantastic, but there's something about that place that I just like.

As for Au Tournant de la Riviere, I reviewed the restaurant years ago and would never go back. My food was just OK and the waitress was odd and not very friendly at all. I actually hated the place. Like bad country contemporary. Yuck.

And yes, you're right. Montreal doesn't have a lot of new restos this year. But I also think it's important to keep the old places in the loop (and I last reviewed Guy and Dod six years ago, which is twice as long as my three year rule). I now have to alternate new places with old, so next week's will be new.

Well... sort of...

I believe Mme. Morali picks and chooses who she wants to develop into return clientele. Clearly a couple of thirty somethings was not her idea of the crowd she is looking to entertain. From the decor and the clientele, it is evident that she is looking for 'captains of industry', type crowd. Although it does at times look like it is more like the 'nice uncles with their niece' type place.

I believe your assessment of the service level at Guy et Dodo, I am convinced that it is turned on and off, depending on who you are. This may not be the best idea, as you never know who that couple you chose to drub really is.

As for Au Tournant, I have had a few good meals there a few years back, and admit I have not been there in a while. Yes, the decor is country kitsch, but the few dinners, and the one brunch that I had there were far better than passable, they were well executed, incorporated local fresh ingredients, and were worthy of consideration. As I have not been back for some time, I cannot say whether it is any better or worse than my past experiences.

I never said it was 4 Stars.

(BTW you have seen this story some time ago).

Veni. Vidi. Voro.

(BTW you have seen this story some time ago).

Yeah and nobody does it better than Le Latini.

???

Haven't been there in years... Was better before they expanded it into the bigger place. Like Da Emma, a humble and reliable restaurant gone big time. Except, Le Latini not for the better; and da Emma moving to a totally different cost level.

I do have to give da Emma credit for their wine list, and her Lasagne, when you can get it, is what I would consider the best I have ever tasted. The braised lamb shanks are darn good as well.

Some of the pasta has a bit much oil for my liking.

Veni. Vidi. Voro.