• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oblivously Anthony's is well worth a visit, Anthony's at Flannels has been very disapointing though.

La Grillade is very good for just above bistro level French food. Spot on steaks, cote de boeuf and rare burgers. Steady cheese course.

Red Chilli is fantastic for Chinese sometimes service is a let down though. Soft-shell crabs will garlic and chilli, deep-fried croaker in sweet and sour sauce, chicken wings in cantonese sauce are all musts.

Room (near Anthony's) serves nice cocktails has a good atmosphere with competant whimsical food, seem to remember a good pre 19:00 half price offer not sure if it's still on though

Bebbis has now moved to a plush new location just off city square with the food and prices suffering. Good busy atmosphere though.

Big shinny Aagragh opened by the Playhouse is worth a trip. Further out of Leeds just past Caverley is Kiplings (Kiplings) which I can't reccommend highly enough if curry is your thing.

Sukhothai in Chapel Allerton is an above average Thai.

Hansa's on North Street whilst inconsistant is sometimes excellent veggie asian food.

Hope that helps,

Andy

Locally, if you head west, the Devonshire Arms at Bolton Abbey is cooking out of its collective skin at the moment. THe Angel in Hetton near Skipton has recovered from a poor-ish couple of years. And Betty's in Ilkley is still the best place to get a nice cup of tea and a sit down.

[btw, assume 'Bebbis' is Bibi's?]

And Mr MArshall should be along at any moment...

Edited by BertieWooster (log)

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

in essence not a lot has changed, red chilli & a smattering of decent bradford based indians probably being the only arrivals of any gastronomic note. No3 has simplified itself but quality still stands - had v good lunch there last week. Since closure of pool court, Anthony's is the only fine dining venue in town

plenty of new chain restaurants and bars to choose from but we were hardly short of those, i noticed manc based pizzeria croma have just opened in leeds, but otherwise not a lot to report.

you don't win friends with salad

Thank you.

Funnily enough I have been to a fair few of these a couple of years ago. Things haven't changed that much I guess.

I tried Red Chilli but couldn't make my mind up about it. I think you need to go in a big group and try lots of things and went to Anthony's a while ago, want to go back just need to make a booking.

What is the consensus on the Anthony's in the Victoria Quarter?

I've always been a big fan of all the Aagraghs but not been to the one near the BBC. Perhaps that should be next.

I think my last meal out in Leeds was at the one in City Square which has Bar and Grill in the title, next to Loch Fyne. Food was average, but it did have a good bar and the cocktails were very good. The fun, if slightly chavvy, atmosphere made for a good evening.

Is Sous Le Nez any good any more?

I recently tried Souk (is that what its called?) in Bradford. The best lamb chops I have ever had. Also went to Saffron which was tasty but nothing special.

Where is doing the best curry at the moment, I had not heard of Kipling's, will have to give that a try.

There are a few new ones along from the railway station as you approach Kirkstall Road, I don't know the name of the road. Are these any good?

What about the noodle places which have opened up, any worth going to?

Thanks again.

Edited by The Lady Pleaser (log)

>>Is Sous Le Nez any good any more?

I dont know when you were last there but I had a very pleasant lunch about a month ago, pigeon breast starter and a well executed belly pork main. I know this is not a place that has garnered much praise on egullet and its not a "fine dining" experience but nevertheless IMHO, it is still a good, relatively reliable, spot with an unpretentious approach and an extensive wine list.

Another place that I have found to be reliable is 4th floor Harvey Nicks. A changing, varied and imaginitive menu and probably the best value purchase in the building! As long as you can cope with the hordes of "ladies who lunch" with their designer sunglasses perched on their heads. Again this is not Anthony's or No3 but in the main I think its still good cooking with clear flavours and the nowadays obligatory nod to using local produce.

interesting news hope it does well but that stretch, just a corner past all bar one, is just off pitch and many have floundered as the hoards turn right at ABO and go down greek street , personally i turn right into ABO and stay there!

Walking up from the station this morning I see that Sam's Chop House of Manchester fame is coming to Leeds.  Opening in June in what used to be the Fat Cat on East Parade.

First Red Chilli, talk of Croma and now Sams Chop House. I think there must be a game of restaurant themed poker between Bapi and Gary versus Bertie and Thom. It seems the White Rose county is winning hands down, come on Thom and Bertie 'see their' Anthonys and raise them a Stock, Market Restaurant and Yang Sing

First Red Chilli, talk of Croma and now Sams Chop House. I think there must be a game of restaurant themed poker between Bapi and Gary versus Bertie and Thom. It seems the White Rose county is winning hands down, come on Thom and Bertie 'see their' Anthonys and raise them a Stock, Market Restaurant and Yang Sing

:laugh:

But steady Tiger!

1)Please don't forget I may have defected to the White Rose county, but am a Lancashire boy at heart.

2) Lumping me into the same category as Gary - will indeed, make me weep.

3) I reckon, I could take Thom at Poker though.

4) I am reliably informed that Croma, Leeds is now up and running.

Ha! Given that its all Manc places invading Leeds, I would have thought the red rose was winning quite comfortably.

UNtil it comes to high-class dining.

And, though I'm in Manc now, I'm actually from t'other side. You cut me, I bleed white roses. That's an interestingly gothic image ain't it?

Ohhh... An interesting concept!

As noted though Bertie is a plastic Manc, and Bapi for all his many failings is a Lancashire lad at heart. So does that make it me and "Big-Daddy-Bapi" against Bertie "The Ex-Veggie" Wooster and Gary "The Publican" Marshall? Let's get ready to rumble...

It is indeed interesting that the places noted - Red Chilli, The Chophouse and Croma - have gone from Manchester to Leeds. That path has been trodden before, often with limited success (Dimitris, Velvet etc) and does seem a natural extension for places looking to take a successful Mancunian concept further afield.

I'm trying to think of anything of note coming the other way... Aggrah and EastZEast have been recent curryhouse successes, but are these Bradford based rather than Leeds? You got a Room first but thats a Scottish company I think? We have had a few places - Sapporo Teppanyaki and Samsi Yakatori - come in from Liverpool and Chester too.

The fine dining point is interesting too. We have The River Restaurant at the Lowry with Le Mont and Establishment recently deceased. As Gary noted in Leeds Pool Court is gone, No 3 has become less formal (though is still very good) leaving Anthonys as the sole fine-dining outpost in Leeds.

Is there anything new coming through to fill the niche in Leeds or does it seem the shift from fine to informal dining is happening in citys right across the provinces (and further afield) rather than just being a Manchester problem (which is what it always bloody feels like)?

I appreciate it's a different kettle of fish out in the sticks where you have everything from Northcote to The Star to Winteringham Fields but how many fine dining places does the North (for example) actually support within it's considerable city centres? London Carriage Works/Hope St in Liverpool, River Restaurant in Manchester, Anthonys in Leeds. After that - Sheffield? I don't know. Newcastle? Maybe Black Door at a push - Jesmond Dene House is out of town. Beyond that I'm scratching.

An interesting subject. It is pretty disproportionate when you consider the wealth and populations of the city regions. Are tastes changing, or do the target punters prefer to head out of town to splash out rather than in?

Well, interesting to me at least... Sorry for wandering off-thread!

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

INteresting point about the sticks too Thom (and its the suburbs of Leeds so IS on-topic). My other home is in Ilkley, and apart from the Box Tree within walking distance and the increasingly excellent Ilkley Vaults pub, I've got the Dev Arms and the Angel at Hetton wihtin ten minute's drive, and the Sportsman's and the Yorke Arms within twenty. For very good food, if not actually fine dining, I'd say its better than either Manc city centre OR certainly Leeds.

Why has good food moved to the country?

EDIT: to comply with member agreement

Edited by BertieWooster (log)

INteresting point about the sticks too Thom (and its the suburbs of Leeds so IS on-topic). My other home is in Ilkley, and apart from the Box Tree within walking distance and the increasingly excellent Ilkley Vaults pub, I've got the Dev Arms and the Angel at Hetton wihtin ten minute's drive, and the Sportsman's and the Yorke Arms within twenty. For very good food, if not actually fine dining, I'd say its better than either Manc city centre OR certainly Leeds.

Why has good food moved to the country?

EDIT: to comply with member agreement

i don't know why, but i agree it's true.

Certainly property isn't a lot cheaper in the sticks vs town and ingredients cost the same in westow as they do in london. Staff are probably more expensive as you don't have the pool of cheap labour or students you have in a metropolis and staff housing aint cheap when a small 2 bed cottage in a nice area costs £200k.

One thing i do know is that punters with money to spend, tend to drive nice cars and they are far happier parking outside of any of the establishments bertie mentioned than they are a town centre car park. who wants to wade through a crowd of drunks pre and post dinner or have to fight your way to a taxi rank?

Just get the mrs to drive the merc home :laugh:

Can't honestly say that explains it in its entirety though!

• 3 weeks later...

We will be visiting Leeds next weekend, does anyone have any suggestions for a good tapas or seafood restaurant in the town centre (we will be staying at Quebecs)?

Ideally looking for somewhere mid range price but will consider somewhere top end for somewhere special.

• 3 years later...

Corn exchange is a little hit and miss, went for lunch with in laws last weekend and was decent, small sea bass fillet with lemon barley risotto was delicious, but not a great portion, same for Cod, asparagus, pea and bacon. Sausage and mash was good but could have done with a bit more flavour, desserts all good. Last time we went we tried the chocolate fondue sharing plate, I think i mentioned it somewhere, but that was an abomination.

To answer a previous question from some time ago, the Anthony's cafe in the VQ is good, not spectacular, but it does the job of a cafe, not sure how it weighs up against the harvey nics cafe up from it. The cafe in Piazza is probably better, for its salads, but its a shame they've let an opportunity with things like jacket potatoes to make their own fillings, went recently and beans were beans, would be nice to see the effort.

Fuji Hiro is next on my list, not been yet but keep hearing good things about their noodles. 3 York Place has closed down, annoyingly, as I would have liked to have gone. The recession does seem to have had its casualties, lets hope things pick back up, not that there isn't anywhere to go, just not as thriving a scene as it has been.

Kendells is probably one of the best options in the city centre right now, although Little Tokyo is fun and Hansas is good although service can be very slow from my experience.

Red Chilli gets plenty of press, and Chaoparaya is a very good Thai (and yes, also has a branch in Manchester) although the two branches of Sukhothai are very good too. Arts is a good option for a casual lunch whilst out shopping.

am way overdue for a visit to Fuji Hiro, and am also missing no.3 york place.

but otherwise, many of the others seem to be chains ...