• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Borage

It grows wild in the community garden I participate in; but, I've never experimented with it.

Traditional in Pimm's Cups, I guess, though I've never seen it.

Flavor, of the flowers at least, is very mild. Make great semi-alien appearing garnishes, though.

One of the things on my todo list for a while now has been a "decontructed" Pimm's Cup, and I think involving borage foam or something would be cool.

I can just never decide which part should be which. Pimms, ginger ice, borage foam? Pimms foam, ginger ale, cucumber ice? Lemon ginger ice, pimms, soda, and borage foam?

Had an awful Pimms Cup the other day, syrup-ey, medicinal, and disgusting, which didn't really encourage me to experiment further, even though the weather was appropriate.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Funny - I've had several customers notice the Pimm's behind me at the bar ths week. I've served it on the rocks with a squirt of fresh lemon juice, and filled with club soda and an orange twist for a "purist" who likes things on the more bitter side, or tonight with a squirt of fresh lime juice and filled with ginger ale and an orange twist for a lady guest that asked me to "surprise her". She liked it as prepared.

No borage in either preparation, I'm afeared. Sorry to hijack your thread.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol