• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian/Alphonso Mangoes in NYC

So, as you may have read, Indian Mangoes are now legal to import, and the first shipment has already come into New York!

Does anyone know where I can get them? I've been to Patel Bros. in Jackson Heights, but they claim to have no Indian Mangoes and no good idea about when they might get them.

So, as you may have read, Indian Mangoes are now legal to import, and the first shipment has already come into New York!

Does anyone know where I can get them?  I've been to Patel Bros.  in Jackson Heights, but they claim to have no Indian Mangoes and no good idea about when they might get them.

Hmmm...it looks like they were officially unveiled in Washington DC on May 1. So that first shipment wasn't for us consumers, but for the government officials instead.

The U.S. India Business Council in Washington, D.C. played host to the first-ever 'Mango Day' celebrations on the arrival of Indian mangoes to the U.S., after a gap of 18 years. The first mangoes arrived at the John F. Kennedy Airport in New York. But the big welcome party occurred in the nation's capital. For Hindi TV's Rohit Kulkarni, VOA's Suzanne Presto narrates.

It appeared that no one turned down an invitation to sample premium varieties of what Indians call the "King of Fruits", the mango. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce in Washington, D.C. was packed with people waiting to taste Indian mangoes in the United States for the first time in nearly two decades.

Dr. Savani expects Indian mangoes will be available in U.S. grocery stores by the end of May.

"We are having a number of meetings with the interested grocery shop owners. We will facilitate the distribution process. I hope to make them available for consumers in the next two or three weeks," said Savani.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-05-08-voa27.cfm

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

can't wait to get my hands on these. I love indian mangoes. just haven't had them since I was kid in India 24 years ago. I use mango in a lot of different recipes. should be fun to play with. I live down the street from Patel in Elmhurst. will go check it out today and find out from them what the availability is going to be.

• 2 weeks later...

From a friend who went to Queens this past weekend:

"For any New Yorkers seeking Indian mangoes, I went out to Jackson Heights this weekend and found them for sale by the case at Patel Brothers (37-27 74th St.). They aren't out with the other produce, so you'll have to ask for them. They're $30/case."

Anybody wanna split a case? I'm afraid what will happen if I have an entire case of them.

Edited by kathryn (log)

I got back not too long ago from the extra-innings Mets win. Brother and I picked up Dosa's at Dosa Diner, went to buy some Nirav Mango Fruitdrink at the big market across, asked them about Indian Mangoes, all they had was a case of Arizona Mangoes for $11.99, they said PATEL BROTHERS so there ya go. I'd split with you

and mangoes are very versatile; be like bobby flay and put it in every salsa imaginable

or be like the indians and make chutney with it

or lassis, you can freeze those

or mango ice cream. YUMMMMMM

Oh, my worry is that if I did have an entire case, I would eat the entire case. It's my digestive system I'm concerned about!

I'm also probably not going to get out to Queens before the weekend -- anybody going some time earlier this week?

I got back not too long ago from the extra-innings Mets win. Brother and I picked up Dosa's at Dosa Diner, went to buy some Nirav Mango Fruitdrink at the big market across, asked  them about Indian Mangoes, all they had was a case of Arizona Mangoes for $11.99, they said PATEL BROTHERS so there ya go. I'd split with you

and mangoes are very versatile; be like bobby flay and put it in every salsa imaginable

Speaking of Dosa, where is Dosa Diner? My Dosa temple is Thali on Hillside Ave, Qns couple doors down from the Patel Bros.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

• 2 weeks later...

I FOUND THEM IN MANHATTAN!

Thanks to a tip on the Chowhound board.

The Indian grocery store is on the SE corner on 29th and Lex. I grabbed a case tonight around 7:30pm. I believe the store is called Spice Corner. They had 2 cases of mangoes left when I left; they looked banged up but all of my mangoes were fine. I think they were all Kesar.

I got back not too long ago from the extra-innings Mets win. Brother and I picked up Dosa's at Dosa Diner, went to buy some Nirav Mango Fruitdrink at the big market across, asked  them about Indian Mangoes, all they had was a case of Arizona Mangoes for $11.99, they said PATEL BROTHERS so there ya go. I'd split with you

Speaking of Dosa, where is Dosa Diner? My Dosa temple is Thali on Hillside Ave, Qns couple doors down from the Patel Bros.

I should try there...

Dosa Diner is straight down 37th past the block after Jackson Diner