• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

June 2-June 10 Recs. for food shops and restaurant

My trip to paris was rescheduled from April to June. We will be staying in an apartment in the Marais (3rd) right near the old Jewish quarter. I would be grateful for reccommendations for: best patisseries, best boulangeries, best wine shops, and best cheese shops in the area.

As for restaurants, here is the list I have compiled from reading egullet. We are looking for typical Parisian bistros, not too expensive, but excellent food that is different from what we would find here in NYC. Also, I'd love a recommendation for one good brasserie and a place to dine in the 3rd Arr. for our first night in Paris (a Sunday). Thanks in advance!

Aux Lyonnais

Le Pre Verre

Les Fables de la Fontaine

Chez Denise

Au Fil de Saisons

Les Papilles

Le Comptoir du Relais

My trip to paris was rescheduled from April to June.  We will be staying in an apartment in the Marais (3rd) right near the old Jewish quarter.  I would be grateful for reccommendations for:  best patisseries, best boulangeries, best wine shops, and best cheese shops in the area. 

I assume you've checked out our compendia on such shops?

As for brasseries the first night: there's really only Bofinger but it's fun; avoid Les Grandes Marches which just reopened to resoundingly bad reviews.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

My trip to paris was rescheduled from April to June.  We will be staying in an apartment in the Marais (3rd) right near the old Jewish quarter.  I would be grateful for reccommendations for:  best patisseries, best boulangeries, best wine shops, and best cheese shops in the area. 

As for brasseries the first night: there's really only Bofinger but it's fun; avoid Les Grandes Marches which just reopened to resoundingly bad reviews.

Thanks John, I did look at the compendia but did not see much in this particular neighborhood and I was hoping to get some reccommendations from people familiar with the area.

Thanks John, I did look at the compendia but did not see much in this particular neighborhood and I was hoping to get some reccommendations from people familiar with the area.

Cool. Then let me through in a couple of other ideas (not knowing exactly where in the 3rd you will be): Au Bascou + Les Enfants Rouges - the former that has recently been revamped and reviewed by Laidback and myself, the latter stronger on wines than plats but a fascinating local hangout for chefs. The market Les Enfants Rouges, itself, is nice but they have a Japanese take-out place (there are communal tables for the food folk) Chez Taeko that I have not had time to sample but that all the reviewers, including Adrian Moore of GoGo Paris liked.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Everyone goes ga ga over the felafel spots on rue des Rosiers, l'As du Falafel and the others in the Jewish quarter, I say, feh.

Perhaps if you are coming from Preoria they are primo, but they aren't worth it. Coming from Brooklyn as you do, I am sure you can get felafel that is just as good. It certainly is inferior to what I have tasted in Jerusalem, Tel-Aviv, Beirut, and Cairo.

Others like the Jewish pastry shops, but here again I say, feh. New York has much better strudel and other pastries. Why eat inferior heavy Jewish pastry when you have access to light delicious French?

A few blocks away is Pain de Sucre 14 r Rambuteau 75003 PARIS 01 45 74 68 92, excellent and imaginative pastries, among the best in Paris. The other shops on that street will do in a pinch when that one is closed. Another exceptional shop nearby is the branch of Marriage Freres on rue Bourg Tibourg. They offer elegant tea service, to be sure packed on Sunday, and a range of dry tea comparable to Fortnum's in London.

The shops around rue Montorguiel, notably Stohrer: 51 rue Montorgueil Mon-Sun 7:30-20:30, specialty baba au rhum, near Etienne Marcel Metro, are excellent. They are about a 10-15 minute walk away. G. Detou 58 rue Tiquetonne, 75002 Paris 01 42 36 54 67, right around the corner form Stohrer has excellent preserves, dried aromatics candied lilac petales and other exotic products difficult to find in the US, even at Zabar's.

Edited by VivreManger (log)

For an enjoyable sunday lunch or dinner, I love Le Petit Marche just off of Place Voges. It is a charming little bistro that produces simple and delicious food. Best of all, it is very affordable. Last visit, we had rabbit in the style of Provence, and a seared tuna mille-feuille.

As for patisserie, I completly agree with VivreManger that Pain de Sucre is divine! Open on Sunday too, although closed Tuesday and Wednesday. G. Detou is very fun as well. But, I do think L'As du Falafel is quite good, especially for the price. Even given the slightly obnoxious experience of getting your hands on one.

If you do check out Les Enfants Rouges (the market or the restaurant), head up the street to Goumanyat. You will walk into a beautiful display of knives, spices, books, wines, salts, sugars, you name it. Don't miss the bottom and top floor too! It is only open in the after-noon, so be sure to look at thier site. www.goumanyat.fr

And, for the record, my meal at Au Bascou was wonderful and I am awaiting an opportunity to return. Warning: I think they are closed weekends.

Goumanyat: 3, rue Charles-Francois Dupuis, 75003 Paris - 01 44 78 96 74

Le Petit Marche: 9, Rue Béarn, 75003 Paris - 01 42 72 06 67

I don’t have much to add but wanted to say that I agree with all of the suggestions given.

Chez Taeko is one of my favourite places for lunch and the marché des Enfants Rouges is a great market.

I haven’t tried Pain du Sucre yet, but keep hearing great things and thanks to VivreManger and loladrian I will definitely give it a try soon. As loladrian said, both Goumanyat and G.Detou are worth seeking out and are wonderful places to shop for items you might not be able to find at home.

For a cheap lunch or dinner while shopping in the Marais, I have to say that I like L'As du Falafel too, but it’s not a must try.

A friend (and chef) who lives in the Marais loves Le Petit Marché, so it sounds like a great recommendation.

For cheese you might try Trotté, 97 rue Saint Antoine

And for wine, there is Julien Caviste, 50 rue Charlot, which is near the Enfants Rouges market.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

• 3 weeks later...
I don’t have much to add but wanted to say that I agree with all of the suggestions given.

Chez Taeko is one of my favourite places for lunch and the marché des Enfants Rouges is a great market. 

I haven’t tried Pain du Sucre yet, but keep hearing great things and thanks to VivreManger and loladrian I will definitely give it a try soon.   As loladrian said, both Goumanyat and G.Detou are worth seeking out and are wonderful places to shop for items you might not be able to find at home. 

For a cheap lunch or dinner while shopping in the Marais, I have to say that I like L'As du Falafel too, but it’s not a must try. 

A friend (and chef) who lives in the Marais loves Le Petit Marché, so it sounds like a great recommendation. 

For cheese you might try Trotté, 97 rue Saint Antoine

Thank you, Flick, for your recommendations of both Le Petit Marche and Trotte.I was particularly impressed with the selection of chevre at Trotte.

And for wine, there is Julien Caviste, 50 rue Charlot, which is near the Enfants Rouges market.

Chez Janou by the back of the Place des Vosges is a good bistro....

There's a super boulangerie also off the back of the Place des Vosges with the best pain au chocolat I've ever had. Have to ask Mr. Tarte Tatin for the name of it...can't remember.

Philly Francophiles