• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Dinner Suggestion

Cook456

Need a suggestion for a Birthday dinner tomorrow night. I know it's last minute..

Nice place...and atmosphere..

Need BYOB suggestions and the suggestions with bar service.

Edited by Cook456 (log)

A Mano in Ridgewood is terrific, albeit casual, and BYO. It's also a boisterous place in terms of personality/noise levels--good for a casual birthday dinner, imo. I know they have seating upstairs, so depending on the size of the group...

Just note that it's a fairly limited menu of salads, pizza and desserts. If you're dealing with people looking for full-blown offerings, it might not be the right fit. But I love it! :wub:

A Mano thread

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

i had a surprisingly pleasant meal at Martini Grill in Wood-ridge recently. 

http://www.martini-grill.com

I loves me that Oceanos in Fair Lawn, that's for sure.

http://www.oceanosrestaurant.com

Dined at the Martini Grill last week... it's a favorite hangout for friends of mine..but Oceanos just might do the trick.

Any preferences for entrees?

Edited by Cook456 (log)

Dined at the Martini Grill last week... it's a favorite hangout for friends of mine..but Oceanos just might do the trick.

anything that focuses on the raw ingredient, which is top-notch seafood. i usually get the lobster, which comes with very good french fries (add some salt).

grilled calamari as an app is very good. oysters are generally served well. the meats don't do too much for me (although the lamb chops are good), but it is a seafood restaurant.

A Mano in Ridgewood is terrific, albeit casual, and BYO.  It's also a boisterous place in terms of personality/noise levels--good for a casual birthday dinner, imo.  I know they have seating upstairs, so depending on the size of the group... 

Just note that it's a fairly limited menu of salads, pizza and desserts.  If you're dealing with people looking for full-blown offerings, it might not be the right fit.  But I love it!  :wub:

A Mano thread

Thanks Curlz, pizza just wont do for this birthday, although it's definitely on my list.

Appreciate the suggestion.

I hope it's not too late! I was having computer ills...

in Ridgewood - La Lanterna is an option - on the order of a european side of the road bistro, professional staff, warm, fresh ingredients, a chef passionate about his food tucked away (you really have to look for this place) on West Ridgewood Ave coming from town, cross the tracks and after wine and country (wine shop) look for parking - reservations are a must 201 444-5520

you might have already considered (Malibu) Joel's on Oak Street

also nice outside of Ridgewood in Ho-ho-kus is Janice's - quaint, small

take maple ave to the end bear leftish on to Sheridan I would highly recommend reservations, 201 445-2666 -

In Glen Rock, there is always Rocca (very good Italian) on Rock Road -

again reservations (201) 670-4945 aer ideal -

all are BYO

if in the mood for asian, a few doorrs down from Janice's in ho-ho-kus is the Ho-Ho-Kus Sushi Cafe - don't let the name fool you -- very good asian cooking in addition to sushi

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

I  hope it's not too late! I was having computer ills...

in Ridgewood - La Lanterna is an option - on the order of a european side of the road bistro, professional staff, warm, fresh ingredients, a chef passionate about his food tucked away (you really have to look for this place) on West Ridgewood Ave coming from town, cross the tracks and after wine and country (wine shop) look for parking - reservations are a must 201 444-5520

just in the form of clarification, Wine Country is on Godwin Ave, rather than W. Ridgewood Ave. when you go under the tracks from Ridgewood proper, take a right at the light onto West Ridgewood Ave (you will see Wine Sellers at that light). La Laterna is 2 (short) blocks up on the right on the corner. there is parking in the (bank) lot behind the restaurant after bank hours.

anything that focuses on the raw ingredient, which is top-notch seafood. i usually get the lobster, which comes with very good french fries (add some salt).

grilled calamari as an app is very good. oysters are generally served well. the meats don't do too much for me (although the lamb chops are good), but it is a seafood restaurant.

Was able to obtain a 7:30 reservation.. I'll give a full report..

Thanks!

When I click on "dinner menu" on their website, it takes about a minute to load, & then gives me a photo of some pita & hummus. That's it. :blink:

Is this a photo of the menu cover? Are they trying to be witty?

I'd love to hear something tangible about this place - looking forward to Cook456's report! :smile:

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Lots of details here if you can't wait, Ghost! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

When I click on "dinner menu" on their website, it takes about a minute to load, & then gives me a photo of some pita & hummus. That's it. :blink:

Is this a photo of the menu cover? Are they trying to be witty?

I'd love to hear something tangible about this place - looking forward to Cook456's report! :smile:

like many websites, theirs might not work on all browsers. I generally use mozilla, but switch to IE when i see something weird. their site works on both mozilla and IE for me. i always suggest that people update their browsers to take advantage of what the gearheads are coding for these days. no wit. just technology advancing faster than the public, which is not good.

there is plenty of discussion online and also from local papers, including the following, with links to those local papers:

egullet thread here.

mouthfuls thread here.

Edited by tommy (log)

Had an excellent meal at Oceanos, last evening.

For appetizers I had the Oyster Sampler and my date had the grilled Calamari; both excellent choices. I tasted the Calamari and they had a nice smoky charred flavor. It was a nice change of pace from the typical fried ones.

For entrees, I chose the Swordfish with Lemon Potatoes and my date chose one of the specials, which was Shrimp and Scallops is an Asian Sauce, which he enjoyed. My swordfish was cooked to perfection.

Based upon Tommy's suggestion on his website, we ordered a side of those Belgian French Fries, and they were excellent.

We shared dessert which was a filo pastry filled with a light custard.... a perfect ending to a wonderful meal.

Do go to Oceanos; you won't be disppointed..

Edited by Cook456 (log)

like many websites, theirs might not work on all browsers.  I generally use mozilla, but switch to IE when i see something weird.  their site works on both mozilla and IE for me. i always suggest that people update their browsers to take advantage of what the gearheads are coding for these days. no wit.  just technology advancing faster than the public, which is not good.

there is plenty of discussion online and also from local papers, including the following, with links to those local papers:

egullet thread here.

mouthfuls thread here.

Thanks. I have the most advanced edition of IE that Windows 95 will support. I need a new computer with a modern operating system but can't really afford it right now. Life's a bitch sometimes.

Appreciate the links. I looked at what's on your own website too, good writeup. My browser can't handle Typepad either so I can't register to leave comments there. So it goes.

Good comments from Cook456 too. I'm putting this place on the list for birthdays!

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845