• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Art Work

Pontormo

:laugh: You are simply brilliant, dahlink. :biggrin:

Here is the link: The Lobsterphone

Where you can eat and talk at the same time. And it is subtitled "The Aphrodisiac Phone" so one can only image what else could happen.

You win a lobster dinner, insomniac. :wink:

I'll try to PM you a bit later (must run out now) with my own arcane method of posting links. It may confuse you further, though. :huh: Sigh. It took me some time to learn how, too. :sad:

Yep. Easy but classic, I thought. :biggrin:

true, it's about the only pop art I know :blush:

ETA a little more on #17 since I told one person this via PM, it's only fair to share more widely.

#17: 1984 vice presidential candidate enjoying the fish at daybreak

yes this the US I'm referring to, and yes this clue is messing with you...

Edited by Eden (log)

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Don't ask how I did it, because it is obviously due to lack of coffee or perhaps just impending idiocy.

I intended to add some more information onto the remaining clues I had but added them on to an older post instead of *here*. :laugh:

So if you want more clues, look back at post 50.

This is sort of a real treasure hunt, I guess. Twists and unintended turns everywhere.

Maybe I can pretend I meant to do it.

#25 Roy Lichtenstein's Pop art 'Sandwich and a Soda (and a straw)

Karen has kindly offered to walk in front of me ringing a bell and shouting 'antipodean moron' as my http:// box appears to be faulty (well, to me it does)

The following clues refer to works of art (paintings, sculpture, photographs, collages, prints & mixed media) that represent food, cooking or dining:

STILL UNSOLVED

5. Naked sailor with long blond hair*

*Only part of him becomes food.

Further clue, revised: Spielberg would buy this portrait (yes, really) were it for sale.

17: 1984 vice presidential candidate enjoying the fish at daybreak.

Further clue: Reference is to US campaign. Do not read clue literally--author is "messing w you".

21. Oysters for the masses - with bottles of Champagne, of course.

24. See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil and a cohort dine on a ham (among other things) as the god of wine beams down upon them.

Further clue: 18th C, sold at Christie's 2000. (Sounds pretty obscure...)

27. Japanese Archimboldo Cabbage Headed Killer.

If you think you know the answer, please provide a link that illustrates the work of art if at all possible. Do not cut and paste a reproduction of the image, sculpture (etc.) directly into your post.

Start your response with the number of the clue. Then reply with the name of the artist(s) if known & title.

Should you wish to provide clues of your own, conduct an image search to see if there are online reproductions; this would also help you decide whether or not the work of art might be familiar to other Society members. Nothing cinematic; go to the other game for that sort of thing.

If you add a clue, please check back and confirm whether or not a response is accurate--or suits the clue, but is not the work you had in mind.

Any additional clue should be designated its own, new number, beginning with "28".

Make sure your clue refers directly to food, dining or other culinary matters.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

28. 39 women.

The closest I can come is eleven men in foppish collars and big hats. And though it is proclaimed a feast, there is no food being shown except for what looks like some cucumber slices and dried-out bread.

The guy on the bottom right is holding his tummy as if it hurts. Maybe they already ate and it wasn't too good. :sad:

Okay, okay... I'm getting pleas for clues but I have a feeling that my single clue will give it away:

28. 39 women in a triangle.

Okay, okay... I'm getting pleas for clues but I have a feeling that my single clue will give it away:

28. 39 women in a triangle.

Yep. Judy Chicago's "The Dinner Party". :smile:

Wiki on Judy.

The writing of clues is difficult , isn't it. :biggrin:

See! I *knew* someone would get it as soon as I added another clue! Carrot Top - can you think of another way I could have provided a clue to that piece? 39 Influential Women, maybe?

See! I *knew* someone would get it as soon as I added another clue! Carrot Top - can you think of another way I could have provided a clue to that piece? 39 Influential Women, maybe?

I think that would have been as strong a hint as the triangle. It would have been a spark to intellect rather than to visual memory, perhaps. Usually, with me, my visual memory is stronger. I wonder if intellectual memory is stronger than visual memory in most people, or not. That would be interesting to know in terms of how to best phrase the clues.

There have been two ways I've found the answers to the ones I managed to guess. Either the image was in my brain (as Judy Chicago's piece was) or there was enough of a hint as to the genre or time so that some ideas as to who it *might have been* that did it, could lead to other artists if the initial guess was wrong. And that just takes lots of sorting through stuff.

I'm happy no matter if the clue is easy or difficult, though, for (oh god how banal) "it's the process that matters". :laugh:

It's just fun to see *all* this stuff. :wink:

I understand the dilemma now...

28. Ladies Women Who Lunch Dine

Edited by Pontormo (log)

Maybe these additonal clues will make it too easy but so what. :raz: Pay attention to the words in the additional clues.

24. See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil and a cohort dine on a ham (among other things) as the god of wine beams down upon them.

1700's.

Christies 2000.

And monkeys do love to feast.

New one:

27. Japanese Archimboldo Cabbage Headed Killer

( :laugh: )

My mother says to eat my veggies.

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Answer to 24. " The Feast of the Monkeys" by Jean-Baptiste Oudry.

Scroll down for further info.

And here's 27. Titled "Mother".

More on Yasumasa Morimura.

Thanks for the closure. Never would have guessed either since neither works nor artists are familiar to me. However did you come acros the Japanese Cindy Sherman? His source: Cranach.

However did you come acros the Japanese Cindy Sherman?  His source: Cranach.

Well, you know, Pontormo. It wasn't from saved knowledge in my little head. There's not a whole lot there that makes much sense. :smile:

My finding of the treasure began with a book.

It was sitting on my shelf and I pulled it out and looked at it.

I've always found that to be a useful method. :wink: Besides being greatly enjoyable and a fantastic way to waste hours and hours of otherwise useful time.