• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Art Work

Pontormo

Okay, boys and girls... its about time my silly Masters in Art degree becomes worthwhile!

18. Chickens in a basket - a pie or two in the foreground with eggs behind.

19. A bounty of vegetables and the lady is busy shelling favas.

20. Lots of hanging meat and game, some being roasted on a spit in front of a fire, a few children enticing a cat, and an effusiveness of jocularity.

21. Oysters for the masses - with bottles of Champagne, of course.

22. Lots and lots of scary-looking fish but the additional hint is the cat trying to steal a freshly-filet'd cross-section of very red fish.

And I am only just beginning....

(Heather & Karen, I LOVE Thiebaud's cakes...)

I read somewhere recently that Theibaud had illustrated a somewhat recent edition of Brillat Savarin's book. That would be interesting to see.

20. Lots of hanging meat and game, some being roasted on a spit in front of a fire, a few children enticing a cat, and an effusiveness of jocularity.

[ . . .]

22. Lots and lots of scary-looking fish but the additional hint is the cat trying to steal a freshly-filet'd cross-section of very red fish.

And I am only just beginning....

:laugh:

:sad:

This is terrible, because I can vividly see both those pictures before me yet can not for the life of me remember the artist.

This game has the potential of being more dangerous even, than trying to write limericks. :blink:

7. Absinthe bottle

So many Absinthe drinkers in turn of the century paintings in France...Manet, Degas, Picasso, Toulouse Lautrec...

If you're going strictly for the bottle I would have to say

The Absinthe Drinker

Pablo Picasso

now this is really funny as I was thinking of Picasso's absinthe woman when the clue about something being good at a birthday party arose (as I am so maternal I was specifically thinking about being forced to host my children's birthday parties *shudder*) altho the face of the woman in Degas' absinthe drinkers painting probably captured my emotions at the time more honestly :biggrin:

I would have posted but I too am a link unenableable technophobe

Here's another:

23. "Have a sip, it'll put hair on your chest."

:smile:

Is it this? (Minus the circles and arrows :wink: )

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

(Heather & Karen, I LOVE Thiebaud's cakes...)

I read somewhere recently that Theibaud had illustrated a somewhat recent edition of Brillat Savarin's book. That would be interesting to see.

Not very recent, actually. I've had the book for almost 10 years and yes, Thiebaud illustrated the book. I guess it is out of print now as I am only finding used copies here on Amazon. (Bummer, since I paid full price of $55!)

Since I am so lazy about this sort of thing, I'll tidy up and organize a list of unsolved clues some time tomorrow, but would like to make a plea for current and future clues:

Please include an explicit culinary reference in the clue itself to help us clueless folk along.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Please include an explicit culinary reference in the clue itself to help us clueless folk along.

OK I'll modify slightly

#17: 1984 vice presidential candidate enjoying the fish at daybreak

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Let me develop my clues a bit, too. :wink:

#13 : Call me from the Maine shore.

13. Thomas Edison meets half of a "Surf and Turf".

and

23. "Have a sip, it'll put hair on your chest."

23. A way to drink a tisane never dared look so unladylike. Except in the eyes of this one lady's rendering.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

And I think all five of the ones I listed are pretty explicit in their culinary reference. But I'll consider giving clues in a day or so... <yeah, I'm a meanie!>

Three more: :smile:

24. See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil and a cohort dine on a ham (among other things) as the god of wine beams down upon them.

25. Pop! Goes my luncheonette meal.

26. My mom made it with milk and served it with grilled cheese sandwiches.

The following clues refer to works of art (paintings, sculpture, photographs, collages & mixed media) that represent food, cooking or dining:

STILL UNSOLVED

5. Naked sailor with long blond hair*

*Only part of him becomes food.

Further clue: Spielberg would buy this were it for sale.

13. Thomas Edison meets half of a "Surf and Turf".

17: 1984 vice presidential candidate enjoying the fish at daybreak.

21. Oysters for the masses - with bottles of Champagne, of course.

23. A way to drink a tisane never dared look so unladylike. Except in the eyes of this one lady's rendering.

24. See no evil, Speak no evil, Hear no evil and a cohort dine on a ham (among other things) as the god of wine beams down upon them.

26. My mom made it with milk and served it with grilled cheese sandwiches.

If you think you know the answer, please provide a link that illustrates the work of art if at all possible. Do not cut and paste a reproduction of the image, sculpture (etc.) directly into your post.

Start your response with the number of the clue. Then reply with the name of the artist(s) if known & title.

Should you wish to provide clues of your own, conduct an image search to see if there are online reproductions; this would also help you decide whether or not the work of art might be familiar to other Society members. Nothing cinematic; go to the other game for that sort of thing.

If you add a clue, please check back and confirm whether or not a response is accurate--or suits the clue, but is not the work you had in mind.

Any additional clue should be designated its own, new number, beginning with "27".

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Okay, I'll add clues to help with mine:

18. 1563 and there are four people in the scene.

19. Stylistically, this painting exists in an almost exact duplicate except that fruit replaces the vegetables.

20. This painter did a Lean Version.

21. The top-half of this picture is more about the internal architectural motifs of the period.

22. An 18th century British printmaker did a mezzotint print reproduction of this painting.

I had to look these up because I could see them in my head, but not recall the titles...

Poultry Vendors, by Joachim de Beuckelaer I think those are cheeses in the foreground, but I'm not certain...

Allegory of Summer by Lucas Valckenborch

The Fat Kitchen by Jan Steen the contrasting Lean kitchen is here. This one threw me off originally because Steen actually did a couple versions of these paintings and one of them doesn't have the cat...

ETA: and speaking of cats: 22. Lots and lots of scary-looking fish but the additional hint is the cat trying to steal a freshly-filet'd cross-section of very red fish

This would be the Fish Market by Frans Snyders another artist who used the same title for multiple works...

And here's the mezzotint Carolyn mentions in her follow up clue

Edited by Eden (log)

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I had to look these up because I could see them in my head, but not recall the titles...

Poultry Vendors, by Joachim de Beuckelaer  I think those are cheeses in the foreground, but I'm not certain...

Allegory of Summer by Lucas Valckenborch

The Fat Kitchen by Jan Steen the contrasting Lean kitchen is here.  This one threw me off originally because Steen actually did a couple versions of these paintings and one of them doesn't have the cat...

ETA:  and speaking of cats:  22. Lots and lots of scary-looking fish but the additional hint is the cat trying to steal a freshly-filet'd cross-section of very red fish

This would be the Fish Market by Frans Snyders another artist who used the same title for multiple works...

And here's the mezzotint Carolyn mentions in her follow up clue

Fabulous job! I thought mine were pretty hard and you got four out of five of them!!!

Kudos!

And that was a great job on 20. and 22.!

I kept seeing a different scene, for each of the paintings described above. On the children and cat one I saw a little girl in a red dress in the style of "The Blue Boy" in the foreground of a long wooden banquet table filled with jolly people. One of those children that is painted as if they were a miniature adult, you know. The proportions of the painting were not exactly "true" but a bit stilted. The colors of the painting were fairly bright. I kept thinking "American" or "Renaissance".

On the cat one, with the fish, I saw a close-up of a cat - a striped greyish cat, with a stripped-of-meat sole *almost* collected from the table in its teeth. The bones of the fish were clear and the cat was scrunched up ready to grab it and jump off the table.

Well now. I have to wonder if these are figments of my imagination or not. :laugh:

They were very clear, if they were. :huh:

Very "painterly" too. Heh.

Aaargh.

Since I'm unsure of both my clue-writing skills and how popular these pieces might be, I'll keep trying to add more information. :wink:

1700's.

Christies 2000.

Three items in painting. All start with S. One is a sandwich.

Silkscreen.