• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Art Work

Pontormo

The following clues refer to works of art you may have seen as you strolled through museums or abbeys waiting for your bellies to feel empty again. Others illustrate books that protect your table from crumbs and rings.

A few should be fairly easy to identify. Some are obscure. Several definitely have more than one answer. Therefore, please be as specific as possible when providing an answer that includes: a) title; b) artist(s) if known; c) date and/or d) current location should either c or d distinguish your work from several possible answers.

CLUES

1. Potatoes

2. White wine at The Last Supper

3. Horse as a meal

4. God as a meal

5. Naked sailor with long blond hair*

6. Strategically placed Tootsie Roll Pop

7. Absinthe bottle

8. Ale can

9. Golden platter piled with little roasted birds, legs up in the air; two tiny lap dogs on the table licking a nearby plate

10. Enormous strawberry with spiny tail like a shooting star, ending in spiked metal ball

11. Bell pepper. Nothing else.

12. A bad apple, shared

*Only part of him becomes food.

Please provide a link that illustrates the work of art if at all possible. Do not cut and paste a reproduction of the image, sculpture (etc.) directly into your post.

Start your response with the number of the clue. Then reply.

Should you wish to provide clues of your own, conduct an image search to see if there are online reproductions; this would also help you decide whether or not the work of art might be familiar to other Society members. Nothing cinematic; go to the other game for that sort of thing.

If you add a clue, please check back and confirm whether or not a response is accurate--or suits the clue, but is not the work you had in mind.

Any additional clue should be designated its own, new number, beginning with "13".

I will check back a couple of times today to see if the game catches on and how you're doing. Otherwise, I'll plan on logging in at least once every day or every other day to tidy up et al. Have fun!

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Okay - I'll play. Lets start at the beginning:

1. Potatoes

a) the potato eaters

b) Vincent van Gogh

c) it was done in 1885, but now its 2007 may 11, 4:44 pm Atlantic time

link

You know yours is easy when the art has several of its own websites.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Yes! :biggrin: Gold star.

That was quick--and one of the clues I was hoping would ring a bell. There are several other answers that would be correct, but this is the painting I was thinking of myself.

No. 11 Bell Pepper 30 - Edward Weston

link

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

No. 10

I know the title of the painting, I know the name of the artist, and I know the location, but I do not know how to insert a link.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

No. 10

I know the title of  the painting, I know the name of the artist, and I know the location, but I do not know how to insert a link.

To insert a link - find a site with the link, highlight it and drag it to your desktop - now put in this spot put what you want the link to say (so in my post it was 'the fall of man')

PM me if you are having trouble.

#10 The Garden of Earthly Delights, specifically the central panel, by Heironymous Bosch. Very early 16th century. Hangs in the Prado Museum, Madrid. Link to the painting (scroll down).

2.   White wine at The Last Supper
There's The Last Supper, by William Blake, 1799, the National Gallery of Art, Washington DC.

The only tootsie roll art that springs to mind is this but I don't think that's what you had in mind. :smile:

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Yes, Anna! Exactly!

Kerry--precisely the subject I had in mind aka Temptation of Adam and Eve--thanks for adding the information along with Cranach's painting!

Shaya, you know, I was actually thinking of a GLASS of absinthe (sculpture), so I am so relieved you were able to come up with a bottle, coincidentally by the same artist (scroll down to bottom, here).

Arey: Sorry you were having technical difficulties. I assume Hjshorter linked the painting you were thinking of?

Ms. Shorter gets TWO gold stars**--especially for number 2, which, I'll be darned, does seem to have glasses full of white wine unless Blake was a teetottler and imposed his convictions on others. (When was the martini invented?) If anyone can think of an Italian example dating before the third quarter of the fifteenth-century--other than one I had in mind, I know two people who would kiss and anoint your feet. Or something more befitting. **Not three, though the cartoon is incredibly cute.

Please, please, add your own clues to keep the game going!

Meanwhile I am adding an article to one of the original clues that might help. Here's what's left:

CLUES

3. Horse as a meal

4. A god as a meal

8. Ale can

9. Golden platter piled with little roasted birds, legs up in the air; two tiny lap dogs on the table licking a nearby plate

Please provide a link that illustrates the work of art if at all possible. Do not cut and paste a reproduction of the image, sculpture (etc.) directly into your post.

Should you wish to provide clues of your own, conduct an image search to see if there are online reproductions; this would also help you decide whether or not the work of art might be familiar to other Society members. Nothing cinematic; go to the other game for that sort of thing.

If you add a clue, please check back and confirm whether or not a response is accurate--or suits the clue, but is not the work you had in mind.

Any additional clue should be designated its own, new number, beginning with "13".

I will check back tomorrow to tidy up, develop any clues that have gone untouched, etc.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

#9 is the January banquet scene from the Très Riches Heures of the Duc du Berry. The duke dined well as you can see...

PS If you look behind and to the left of the Duke, there's a guy in black who looks like a young Elvis :laugh:

Is #4 "Portrait of Rodolfo II as Vertunno" by Arcimboldo? (2/3 down the page)

eta: guess on #4

PS this game totally rocks!

Edited by Eden (log)

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Eden: Of course the duke's January feast is something that sprang instantly to your mind! Never thought about Elvis, before! Number 9 is off the table ( :rolleyes: ).

I'm going to have to say no on number 4. No doubt there's another answer, but it's got to be a bit more literal. Bet you Docsconz and his wife would know had they a chance to linger in one of the cities they visited recently. Maybe if they bought black beans (bag, can...) upon their return home, they'd be able to make a connection...

No more further hints.

I'm still waiting for someone else to jump in with clues #13, 14, & 15... Anyone?

but I do not know how to insert a link.

I discovered this method by chance: You can copy and paste URLs into the body of your message when you are writing it, and the egullet program will automatically convert the URL into a link.

1) Go the webpage you want to link to. Highlight the URL (or address) in the address bar by clicking on it with your mouse. On Internet Explorer (the browser I use) go to main menu Edit>Copy.

2) Go to egullet, and write a message as you usually do. When you want the link to appear in the body of your message, go to main menu Edit>Paste. The link should appear in your message.

The link will still be in Text format; it will become active as a link when you post. If the link is very long (as with a search/query string), the egullet program will show only a portion of the link when you post it, but the link will still be active and work fine.

Here, I just followed my own instructions with this link: http://www.metmuseum.org/

Edited by djyee100 (log)

This is probably too easy but...

15.  you might go for one of these at a birthday party

Really, cake has not been the same for me since Wayne decided to have a go at it. The essence of cake is so, well, *cake-y* in his work that no real cake could ever taste as good. :sad:

But who knows. You might be talking about a birthday hat. Or a birthday suit.

3. George Stubbs, Lion Attacking a Horse

http://www.en.utexas.edu/Classes/Moore/gothic/gothPaint2.htm

Click on fifth image on lower left

8. Jasper Johns, Painted Bronze

http://www.aarhuskunstmuseum.dk/boern_og_u...asp?pid=21&id=2

Scroll down for second picture.

Love this topic--coming up with artwork food is harder than one would think! Will ponder some additions.

Edited by seisei (log)

14. a meal au naturel

Edouard Manet's Luncheon on the Grass springs to mind.

April

Yes, Le Dejeuner sur l'herb (1863) is the meal in the buff.
This is probably too easy but...

15.  you might go for one of these at a birthday party

Really, cake has not been the same for me since Wayne decided to have a go at it. The essence of cake is so, well, *cake-y* in his work that no real cake could ever taste as good. :sad:
:smile: I knew these were too easy! Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

:smile:  I knew these were too easy!

It warms my heart that they were "too easy"--for some of us.

We need some contributions from parts of the world other than Europe and the United States and this is an international crowd, so, I am hopeful.

(Heather & Karen, I LOVE Thiebaud's cakes...)

You know, I get the impression that once someone is able to support a guess with a link, I don't need to jump in to say "Yes!", though everyone needs a gold star now and again.

So, especially since I'm now indoors, away from the sun, and the little Tigger sewn on the front is not exactly adult, my hat's off to Shaya, first, for guessing the Goya. Shudder, indeed. Gives me the creeps, but I adore the artist for the things he gives us the creeps about and the way he does it. We'll call your star saffron! :wink:

And, Seisei, you get Castor & Pollux for your starS! I tried your link for the Jasper Johns, but couldn't scroll down, so here they are, also at the bottom of the page, so you'll need to scroll down.

UNSOLVED CLUES

16. pies served on a door, ale from clay jars, and bagpipes.

Any additional clue should be designated its own, new number. If you're not superstitious, nothing's been assigned #13 yet, so start there, but skip to 17 for any further clues.

Edited by Pontormo (log)