• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Union Square Greenmarket

Probably hothouse-grown, but it's the same vendor that has that huge stall near the southwestern corner of the park -- today they had just about every kind of summer green imaginable and baby carrots, asparagus and beets.

The tomatoes have been awesome.

• Like 1

I bought a pint for $4.  Depends on the vendor.  Good for 2 desserts. 

Next weekend I'll be buying more; am thinking of strawberry gazpacho and quick strawberry jam.

Yesterday I got a quart for $6, so I was happy.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 4 weeks later...

14507454528_1fd9818edc_z.jpg

14507426010_9b8fb4f545_z.jpg

14507447508_95d7f8c289_z.jpg

I adore our summer market.

Today: cucumbers, tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, zucchini, eggs, herbs, peaches, chard, new potatoes

After USGM, I went to the Strand and managed to get another FOTW volume I didn't already have.

14507444388_116c12a4fa_z.jpg

"A Quintet of Cuisines", by Michael and Frances Field, and the Editors of Time-Life Books (1970)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice haul today...

2014_08_08_129.JPG

Pork chops, scallops, cornish chicken, corn, onions, tomatoes, string beans, strawberries, apricots, peaches,

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 weeks later...

15032246538_b594bdfd6c_z.jpg

15218449762_ae657bb08c_z.jpg

today: chard, rose tomatoes, zucchini, sweet peppers, plum tomatoes, herbs, bacon, green beans, yellow beans

pretty sure I'm forgetting a few other things

the Friday market is a bit different from Saturday; lots more interesting things on offer, I thought

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I hauled my uptown behind down there today looking for a vendor who had strawberries last week.  Alas, strawberry-man was gone.

But -- that NO-PESTICIDE dude was selling okra at $8/lb.  

Repeat:  eight.dollars.per.pound.

I mean . . . is there really a market for okra at that price???  I just . . . can't.  

11 hours ago, SLB said:

I hauled my uptown behind down there today looking for a vendor who had strawberries last week.  Alas, strawberry-man was gone.

But -- that NO-PESTICIDE dude was selling okra at $8/lb.  

Repeat:  eight.dollars.per.pound.

I mean . . . is there really a market for okra at that price???  I just . . . can't.  

I guess, if I had fresh sweet corn and good ripe tomatoes, I could go 8 bucks a pound. If I were really jonesing for okra.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com