• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summer Chocolate Storage Solutions

Kerry Beal

hi,

I've got a question for mary or kerry. At the french pastry school what type of unit did we use to put the ganache we were working on? Was it a special type of fridge?

Luis

Yeah it was some sort of special unit, but I can't recall the name on it. Maybe John will have a picture with the name.

Glad to see you posting Carol. When you get more comfortable posting I'm anxious to get the full report on your Paris chocolate course. We can help you with picture posting if you need.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

For the Farmers' Market, I'm use this Igloo Ice Cube Max Cool 70 Roller, which I got at Costco for about half the price shown on the Igloo web site.  The chocolates are in stacks of letter trays. I think I can get about 20 trays in there. The letter trays stack one inside the other but leave enough head room for the chocolates.  When it's really hot, like over 100F, I will also mix in a few trays with sachets of ice (3x5 cello bags filled with water, sealed with my FoodSaver, and frozen).  I can then include a sachet of ice to keep the customer's order cool enough while they're on the way home.

The rollers make transporting the chocolates fairly easy since you're trying to juggle a lot of things getting to/from the market.

Getting the trays out of a top loaded unit isn't that convenient.  On the other hand, they stay cool.

hi john,

you say you use letter trays. I'm having trouble visualizing that. what is a letter tray?

Luis

For the Farmers' Market, I'm use this Igloo Ice Cube Max Cool 70 Roller, which I got at Costco for about half the price shown on the Igloo web site.  The chocolates are in stacks of letter trays. I think I can get about 20 trays in there. The letter trays stack one inside the other but leave enough head room for the chocolates.  When it's really hot, like over 100F, I will also mix in a few trays with sachets of ice (3x5 cello bags filled with water, sealed with my FoodSaver, and frozen).  I can then include a sachet of ice to keep the customer's order cool enough while they're on the way home.

The rollers make transporting the chocolates fairly easy since you're trying to juggle a lot of things getting to/from the market.

Getting the trays out of a top loaded unit isn't that convenient.  On the other hand, they stay cool.

hi john,

you say you use letter trays. I'm having trouble visualizing that. what is a letter tray?

Luis

roughly 9x12x2" stackable tray

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

hi john,

Luis

roughly 9x12x2" stackable tray

oh ok, something you would get from a office supply store.

Luis