• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Egg/Crab meat Substitution

Cookwithlove

Hi, once again I need some ideas on the appropriate substitution of egg(yellow)

and Crab meat(White) to vegetarian items of similiar colour?

Many thanks.

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

Hi, once again I need some ideas on the appropriate substitution of egg(yellow)

and Crab meat(White) to vegetarian items of similiar colour?

Many thanks.

Depending on what you are making there may be products available. Most of them will be tofu based.

Living hard will take its toll...

Tofu is too comon, I am thinking of Bean products any ones good with beans like fregola, cannelini and the list goes on....... ?

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

So is it just colour or colour/texture/taste you are after ?

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

Tofu covers a lot more ground than those white chunks in the refer case. Morning Star Farms and other companies make all sorts of meat replacements. I know they have an artificial egg that makes a good egg salad nock-off along with bacon like and sausage like products. It might be worth looking into depending on what you are trying to make.

Try the following as I Goggled vegetarian crab meat:

Vegetarian Online Food Store - Vegetarian . Organic . Vegan

10410 - Vege. Crab Meat Shredded 10412 - Vege. Crab Meat Balls ... Vegetarian Meat, one, MEAT SUBSTITUTES, one, meat substitutes, one, Meat Substitutes, ...

www.vegecyber.com/cgi-bin/vege_item.cgi?html=../samplers/samplers_1.shtml

Living hard will take its toll...

Tofu covers a lot more ground than those white chunks in the refer case. Morning Star Farms and other companies make all sorts of meat replacements. I know they have an artificial egg that makes a good egg salad nock-off along with bacon like and sausage like products. It might be worth looking into depending on what you are trying to make.

Try the following as I Goggled vegetarian crab meat:

Vegetarian Online Food Store - Vegetarian . Organic . Vegan

10410 - Vege. Crab Meat Shredded 10412 - Vege. Crab Meat Balls ... Vegetarian Meat, one, MEAT SUBSTITUTES, one, meat substitutes, one, Meat Substitutes, ...

www.vegecyber.com/cgi-bin/vege_item.cgi?html=../samplers/samplers_1.shtml

Thank WHT for your effort. Have a good day!

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

If you go to the organic/natural section or a health food store they have packets of "fake eggs" that come in cardboard boxes. Basically its a seasoning mix with some "yellow" powder that you dump onto stir fried and scrambled tofu. Tastes good to me, so that might be an option for you. My best friend is vegetarian so she likes to eat vegan stuff sometimes and she loved the fake scrambled eggs.

If you want to eat fake crab meat, I would go to a chinese grocery store because they specialize in fake meats. I see fake chicken, fake abalone, fake sea cucumber, and thats not even the half of it. It'll probably just be wheat gluten with some spices added.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

• 2 months later...

I need some recommendation to substitute crab meat with a vegetarian look alike ingredient.

Think of substitution I think of fat man! The last time I post for substitution for Tuna, he came up with beetroot which fit nicely to replace tuna,

Thanks

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

If you're near any Asian, preferably Chinese, market, you're in luck. Most of the large ones, Ranch 99-type ones, have fake vegetarian crab. It looks pretty much like shredded imitation crab. I usually find them in the freezer section with all the other mock-meats.

nakedsushi.net (not so much sushi, and not exactly naked)

steamed old man's beard mushrooms

and a tiny bit of ground up dried seaweed

I have seen them in larger supermarkets

they have the texture of crab and kind of look like a whilte crab

you can work with this I bet

the seaweed gives it just enough sea flavor

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

steamed old man's beard mushrooms

and a tiny bit of ground up dried seaweed

I have seen them in larger supermarkets

they have the texture of crab and kind of look like a whilte crab

you can work with this I bet

the seaweed gives it just enough sea flavor

I love that idea!

Talking about mushrooms...

Lobster mushrooms could work but the texture will be on the crunchy side.

Other mushrooms can be used in many substitution dishes:

- Chicken of the woods: chicken

- Chanterelles: chicken

- Portobello: burger

- King oyster: some seafood

- etc.

Great minds think alike! Thanks guy for the input. I take into consideration natural products like White Asparagus, heart of palm and White mushroom. Also natural products like Beetroot, Asparagus, palm, mushroom must be pair with the right marination depends on how it tastes. I am against mock meat in any forms per se.

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房