• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

After My Year In The Dorms...

PurpleDingo99

img5115gb6.th.jpg

Okay, I think its safe to say I've had just about every instant noodle I could get my hands on. From instants and Souper Meals to bizarro Vietnamese varieties which include forks with hinged heads. Can't find any Lucky Me's around here (Chapman U, in Orange CA if anyone is familiar with it) but we've just about perfected the instant noodle.

The best that can be done with a microwave, a reasonably stocked market, and an asian grocer is:

1 package of maruchan roasted chicken

1 1/2 - 2 cups water (on preference- its been a hot debate)

2 tablespoons of bottled, fried garlic (I use some crap from a Vietnamese market)

1 oz beef jerky, hand-torn

1/2 cube Knorr chicken bullion (the yellow pack with the giant cubes)

the included seasoning packet

optionally, 1 tablespoon fried red onion

Everything except the seasoning packet is added before microwaving. Usual microwave time (our microwaves suck so my ~4:00 is irrelevant)

P.S.- that little sticker on the light says 'not to be used as a shelf' :raz:

I must confess that when I was in college, I'd just snag a salad bowl full of veggies from the cafeteria salad bar on Saturday night, and then on Sunday morning, incredibly hung-over, I would deposit one broken package of Ramen in my 4-cup mini-coffee-pot carafe, which rarely made coffee, sprinkle the seasoning over it, dump in the veggies, and turn the pot on, allowing the water to percolate down over the entire mess. By the time I was back from the shower, hot pot noodles. Eat directly from the carafe with a fork stolen from the dorm cafeteria. Not saying it was the best, but when cooking with your eyes closed, you do what you have to do to survive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...