• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Riedel Stemware At Target

mcohen

I bought a set of the Red Wine glasses. They are pretty nice for the price ($10 a stem) More than adequate for my day to day needs in my humble apartment.

I also bought a set as a Christmas gift.

Edited by jsmeeker (log)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

A few years ago, $10 a stem would have been a great price even for C-level Riedel, however stemware has come down in price so much that $10 a stem is now more than you need to pay for really good glasses. You should be able to find the Spiegelau Vino Grande glasses for more like $7 a stem (sets of 6 for around $42), or less if you can figure out a way to get a bunch of them from a restaurant supplier. If you watch Amazon they often put these on sale with free shipping. And I have a slight preference for Spiegelau over all but the top-of-the-line Riedel glasses.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

A few years ago, $10 a stem would have been a great price even for C-level Riedel, however stemware has come down in price so much that $10 a stem is now more than you need to pay for really good glasses. You should be able to find the Spiegelau Vino Grande glasses for more like $7 a stem (sets of 6 for around $42), or less if you can figure out a way to get a bunch of them from a restaurant supplier. If you watch Amazon they often put these on sale with free shipping. And I have a slight preference for Spiegelau over all but the top-of-the-line Riedel glasses.

I'll keep my eye out for these. I assume this is a price from an on-line retailer/mail order place?

The nice thing about the Reidels from Target is that I didn't have to worry about shipping and breakage.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

If you walk into any random large wine shop in New York City, you'll probably see the Spiegelau glasses for $10 a stem, but they do go on sale and if you're buying the boxes of 6 they should be cheaper. But yes, the $7 a stem price (for the big Burgundy and Bordeaux glasses) is what you can get online.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)