• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

James Beard Awards

gallery_25998_3626_65998.jpg

gallery_25998_3626_148883.jpg

gallery_25998_3626_106758.jpg

gallery_25998_3626_132036.jpg

gallery_25998_3626_107511.jpg

A Chef's Tasting of the James Beard Foundation 2007 Awards Gala, celebrating the Art of American Food, held at Lincoln Center's Avery Fisher Hall, New York, NY.

Photo #4: Grant Achatz of Alinea Restaurant (Chicago, IL), named Best Chef Great Lakes.

More to come ...

Edited by harlanturk (log)

Michael Harlan Turkell, PHOTOGRAPHER

"BACK OF THE HOUSE" Project, www.harlanturk.com , PLOG: harlanturk.blogspot.com

Very cool, Harlan! Thanks for sharing them. I look forward to more. The photo of Chef Achatz is particularly great as it captures the tension of the moment.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

gallery_25998_3626_137684.jpg

David Chang of Momofuku (New York, NY), named Rising Star Chef of the Year.

gallery_25998_3626_106900.jpg

Tahitian Vanilla Bavarois with Mango–Cilantro Gelée, Passion Fruit, and Banana Sorbet by Dominique Ansel, pasty chef at Daniel (New York, NY).

gallery_25998_3626_21522.jpg

Katsuya Fukushima and Ruben Garcia of Jose Andres' miniBar (Washington, DC) make their Signature Cotton Candy Foie Gras.

gallery_25998_3626_66590.jpg

Rick and Deann Bayless of Frontera Grill (Chicago, IL), Outstanding Restaurant of the Year.

Even more to come ...

Thanks for sharing! We had been invited by a board member, but were unable to make the trip to New York. I'm really sorry I missed it. Maybe next year. :angry:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Didn't get to try the Cotton Candy Foie Gras, but know it's a signature dish at miniBar. Believe it's just torchons then put into the machine, flavor of cotton candy unknown.

I tried to make the Bayless shot draw from Citizen Kane.

Twas an epic event.

What is going on with the foie cotton candy? Are they wrapping cotton candy around chunks of foie? What flavor is the cotton candy?

I especially love the photo of the names on the floor - great photo.

I had the foie in cotton candy at a Napa event served by Jose Andres and it was regular cotton candy (although not overly sweet) around small torchon of foie. They were fabulous...

gallery_25998_3626_71430.jpg

Morel Financièrs with Smoked Paprika and Jamón Ibérico, Chef Grant Achatz of Alinea (Chicago, IL).

gallery_25998_3626_41350.jpg

Tre Wilcox of Abacus (Dallas, TX), Rising Star Chef Nominee 2005 & 2006.

gallery_25998_3626_64312.jpg

Michel Richard of Citronelle (Washington, DC) accepting his award for Outstanding Chef of the Year.

gallery_25998_3626_51342.jpg

Michael Mina's Japanese Kobe Beef Shabu-Shabu.

A Chef's Tasting of the James Beard Foundation 2007 Awards Gala, celebrating the Art of American Food, held at Lincoln Center's Avery Fisher Hall, New York, NY.

Yet more to come ...

Edited by harlanturk (log)

A final installment for the week.

gallery_25998_3626_143975.jpg

A terrine tasting from Jean-François Bruel of Daniel (New York, NY).

gallery_25998_3626_98465.jpg

The Lee Bros. accepting their award for their "Southern Cookbook", named Cookbook of the Year.

gallery_25998_3626_104610.jpg

Puffed Morels with Ramps and Black Pepper, by Grant Achatz of Alinea (Chicago, IL).

gallery_25998_3626_193537.jpg

Danny Meyers, with Daniel Humm of Eleven Madison Park (background left) at the James Beard Foundation 2007 Awards Gala, celebrating the Art of American Food, held at Lincoln Center's Avery Fisher Hall, New York, NY.

You have a fantastic and truly unique eye and visual sense, Harlan. And obviously the technique to back it all up with. Kudos on these photos!

I think I would recognize your work anywhere. And that's saying a lot considering the amount of photos we all see each day. Thanks for posting. :smile:

That all looks so glamorous. Exactly how unglamorous are the journalism and book awards? I've never been, but I've always imagined that the day before awards ceremony for writers would be like the low-key Oscar awards for technical merit.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)