• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

geography

Kim WB

When reviewing a restaurant, I assume that you judge its merit based on a particular set of standards and criteria you hold. However, is there ever an inclination to review it based on its local competition and geography? For example, I will often find myself saying, " XYZ is a great restaurant, for Cape May." Or, " For Princeton Thai food, it's as good as it gets." Especially since NJ is broken into three rather dissimiliar types of areas, North, Central and South, does where in the state a restaurant is located effect its review in any way?

I appreciate that...my inclination should not be that of a noted reviewer...looking forward to your reply to Jason's question about NJ being the "step sister" to NY...related to my post, in a way...by the way, Harvest Moon, Ringoes. Mountain view Inn, Ewing. Hamilton Grill,Lambertiville. Brothers Moon, Hopewell. Wish you had reviewed RATs, in Hamilton, I would have liked your impression. Thanks for your reply.

I actually did review Rat's back in May 2000. Rated it excellent. Karla Cook went back last month, after their renovation, and gave it the same rating.

As I may have mentioned, since Karla's arrival last year we've divvied up the state geographically. I take north, she takes central, including Princeton, Lambertville, Hopewell et al.