• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ratatouille

Rogelio

So I want to host a movie night (the DVD is out on November 2nd) at the restaurant and of course the movie will be "Ratatouille".  We will cook the food of the movie and present it buffet style...

I'd love to see your final menu!!

Also, I saw you present at Epcot's Food & Wine festival in 2005, if I'm not mistaken, and enjoyed it a lot.

• 2 months later...

A bit belatedly, but just to chime in--like many of you, I found the movie quite charming.

I saw Ratatouille with my partner, a few days before his birthday, and we both really enjoyed it. When his birthday rolled around, I decided to make the central dish to surprise him. I know there have been a few blog links in this thread, but I hope you don't mind if I share my own pictures from the experience.

(Thank you to Busboy, for the recipe, and to plk for that picture you posted -- I made heavy use of both of these for guidance).

I really enjoyed getting to use my mandolin to cut up all of the vegetables:

gallery_47802_4897_17409.jpg

My spatial reasoning is sometimes a bit off--it took me a few tries to get the vegetable spiral started:

gallery_47802_4897_33480.jpg

Thankfully, the vegetables kind of set their own course and it became fairly easy to fill the pan:

gallery_47802_4897_83255.jpg

As the vegetables cooked down, my apartment started to smell fantastic (it didn't hurt that I was able to use some fresh lemon-thyme from my rooftop garden):

gallery_47802_4897_65196.jpg

I have a picture of the plated dish, but it looks both blurry and drippy--not really the stuff of dreams (perhaps I'll post it on the un-Dinner thread later). Nevertheless, it was absolutely delicious and a fun summer project. My partner was very appreciative.

A bit belatedly, but just to chime in--like many of you, I found the movie quite charming.

I saw Ratatouille  with my partner, a few days before his birthday, and we both really enjoyed it.  When his birthday rolled around, I decided to make the central dish to surprise him.  I know there have been a few blog links in this thread, but I hope you don't mind if I share my own pictures from the experience.

(Thank you to Busboy, for the recipe, and to plk for that picture you posted -- I made heavy use of both of these for guidance).

I really enjoyed getting to use my mandolin to cut up all of the vegetables:

gallery_47802_4897_17409.jpg

My spatial reasoning is sometimes a bit off--it took me a few tries to get the vegetable spiral started:

gallery_47802_4897_33480.jpg

Thankfully, the vegetables kind of set their own course and it became fairly easy to fill the pan:

gallery_47802_4897_83255.jpg

As the vegetables cooked down, my apartment started to smell fantastic (it didn't hurt that I was able to use some fresh lemon-thyme from my rooftop garden):

gallery_47802_4897_65196.jpg

I have a picture of the plated dish, but it looks both blurry and drippy--not really the stuff of dreams (perhaps I'll post it on the un-Dinner thread later).  Nevertheless, it was absolutely delicious and a fun summer project.  My partner was very appreciative.

Maggie, I am writing a column about my own experience recreating the "true" Ratatouille as presented in the movie. May I have your permission to reproduce your very colorful third photograph? I'll send you my column and the photos from my own experiment.

BTW this permission doesn't imply that you don't fully own the rights to your photo, just that I have permission to publish that one in my column and reproduce it in the online edition. The publication is The North Coast Journal (local to Humboldt County, CA). If you agree, please let me know how you'd like the photo credited.

Joseph Byrd (please respond to byrdhouse.ltd@gmail.com)