• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ratatouille

Rogelio

Acording to this article (in spanish) Ratatouille, Disney's next movie is about a rat cooking in Paris and Ferrán Adrià, Jamie Oliver, Gualtiero Marchesi, Guy Savoy and Cyril Lignac... Are playing their voices on different characters on the film.

It seems to be the history of a rat who wants to be a chef in one the Paris gastronomic temples. Sounds fun.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

This sounds brilliant! Do you know when it is due to be released?

I'd expect that there are going to be some positive messages about food in it for kids. I understand that Disney is focusing on much healthier food in its themeparks and licensing partnerships.

I've seen the trailer, and it looks absolutely adorable!

Sigh, no grandkids yet (my kids are slackers) but maybe I can steal a neice or nephew to smuggle me into the theatre. :biggrin:

The trailer can be found here

I love Peter O'Toole.

Thanks for the link Anne. It looks good... although I find it a little difficult to watch a rat tearing around the kitchen, even if it is animated.

If you click on podcast 2, there's some detail about how they used a culinary consultant and there's a nice little plating sequence. No reference to Adria's cameo... I hope they've maximised its potential, because apparently he has quite a good sense of humour!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got finished seeing a preview screening of this film, and I want to tell you all that it is wonderful!

There's plenty for everyone: humor, philosophy, romance... but the best part is the FOOD! Brad Bird and his crowd have done a fabulous job capturing the frantic pace of a busy restaurant, the passion of those who love food, and the sheer joy of experimentation and creation.

I won't ruin the story or pretend I'm a critic, but I do want to say that Brad Bird is 3 for 3 in my book (Iron Giant, The Incredibles), and I predict that this will be one of The Best food films ever!

June 29 in the US... I can't wait to see it again!

Katje

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

The movie is utterly charming. Peter O'Toole is a definite highlight for me but the subtleties which abound don't disappoint. Worthy of multiple viewings. I'm sure there will be an abundance of Ratatouille parties and the question which will be asked all over will be, "What are sweetbreads?"

I got to see a sneak preview of Ratatouille on a Sat. night June 16th.

I really loved it!! It has a little bit of everything: food, restaurants, cheese, weird cooks (is that redundant?), woman chef, "going corporate," food critics, health inspectors, romance, and plenty of rats.

As the credits were rolling along ever so quickly, I at least saw the names of Thomas Keller and Guy Savoy on there, as well as the restaurant Taillevant(?). Can someone check-out if there are any other names listed in the credits?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I have been excited ever since I saw the ad for this, I can't wait! It looks so cute...

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Aside from seeing it for my own pleasure, what age group is it targeted to? I was completely excited til we saw a poster showing many knives being thrown at the rat. Might have to go see this one sans the munchkin.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

The movie has a soundtrack available, but it also has a "music inspired by the film" album.

A album of songs about food...what more could an eGulleteer want? :laugh:

"Ratatouille: What's Cooking?"

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver