• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Fruit Dipped

Lior

Hi! Someone here asked about dipping fresh fruit into chocolate. Am I correct in saying not to refrigerate the fruit before dipping but use at room temp?

And dry well and even dust with cornflour?

And afterwards, until it is served, the question is, can it be kept in the fridge in a sealed glass container, or what is better?

I also thought strawberries, cherries, bananas were good. Other ideas?

Thanks!

Lior

Hi! Someone here asked about dipping fresh fruit into chocolate. Am I correct in saying not to refrigerate the fruit before dipping but use at room temp?

And dry well and even dust with cornflour?

And afterwards, until it is served, the question is, can it be kept in the fridge in a sealed glass container, or what is better?

I also thought strawberries, cherries, bananas were good. Other ideas?

Thanks!

Lior

Room temperature, totally dry. I'm not so sure about the dusting with cornstarch, since you ususally leave some of the fruit showing the white powder would detract from the appearance.

Chocolate should be tempered. I keep the fruit at room temperature afterwards and serve within the day.

Bananas will need to be fully dipped to prevent browning. Grapes might be nice, cape gooseberries.

Grapes might be nice, cape gooseberries.

I had my first chocolate dipped grape at a bat mitzvah last week. It was great. I've never thought of grapes in chocolate before. I like pineapple in chocolate too.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone understand the appeal of the frozen chocolate banana? Does the freezing make the banana more like a creamsicle? I've never had one, but have been asked for them. Anyone?

Does anyone understand the appeal of the frozen chocolate banana?  Does the freezing make the banana more like a creamsicle?  I've never had one, but have been asked for them.  Anyone?

Plain frozen bananas have a sorbet-like texture and taste very good. Even though I strongly prefer dark chocolate, it may overpower the banana flavor--milk chocolate might be better in this case.

Frozen chocolate covered bananas were always my first choice when we were taken out for ice cream when I was a kid. They create their own sorbet-like qualities, like you say.