• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The best they can do, or the typical ?

Do you want to experience and describe the very best that a restaurant is capable of achieving, or do you believe your reviews should reflect the "typical" dining experience that any of your readers might have if they walked in "off the street" ?

Naturally, I'd like to experience the very best with each and every dish. But as reviewers, we stand in for the general public, so we do our best to avoid special treatment. That's why we make our reservations anonymously and make every reasonable effort not to be recognized as reviewers. (Not always easy: the other night, I was just sitting down when an old acquaintance spotted me from across the room. "David Corcoran!" he exclaimed. "Are you here for business or pleasure?")