• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Resto

Sneakeater

had an excellent pig's ear salad here last night (among other things). various greens, soft-boiled egg, beans, pig's ear. it just worked.

a bunch of very tasty looking specials up on the chalkboard. gotta pay attention to that.

folks, this isn't a Belgian restaurant. it's only nominally Belgian. if anything, it's a bit closer to Momofuku Noodle.....which sparks the same sort of misunderstanding.....(a crapload of people just eat ramen there and then complain that it's not authentic....why are you eating ramen there! you're missing the point!)

folks, this isn't a Belgian restaurant.  it's only nominally Belgian.  if anything, it's a bit closer to Momofuku Noodle.....which sparks the same sort of misunderstanding.....(a crapload of people just eat ramen there and then complain that it's not authentic....why are you eating ramen there!  you're missing the point!)

If people are eating something that the restaurant serves, you can't exactly blame them for "not getting the restaurant." Maybe I'll make an exception for those that order the salmon at Peter Luger, but that's about it.

well....if someone eats at Momofuku Noodle I'd expect them to notice there are maybe two ramen dishes and about 30 completely unrelated ones.

Resto's more like 6 Belgian dishes and about 15 unrelated ones.

Finally went for brunch a couple of weeks ago and ate at the bar. Owner/manager was very firendly.

The burger lived up to all the hype it had when this place opened but the "grilled cheese" was one for the ages. One of the richest and most delicious dishes I've ever tried.

Have any of you been to BXL near times square? I plan to go after a show when hopefully it won't be too busy. Just looking for some decent mussels and the selection of beer looks great. Not expecting high class Belgian cuisine but trying to avoid awful. Also, is there anyplace that serve eel frites? I had these in Bruges instead of moules frites and loved them.

Have any of you been to BXL near times square?  I plan to go after a show when hopefully it won't be too busy.  Just looking for some decent mussels and the selection of beer looks great.  Not expecting high class Belgian cuisine but trying to avoid awful.  Also, is there anyplace that serve eel frites?  I had these in Bruges instead of moules frites and loved them.

go to Cafe de Bruxelles

• 1 month later...

I think those lamb ribs might be the best lamb dish in NY. just sensational.

a special of raw kampachi with grapefruit and crispy chorizo needs to go back to the drawing board. the chorizo and whatever sauce/mayo its in overwhelm the delicate fish.

as a sidenote, Resto is serving the same Four Story Hills cote de boeuf (for $140) as Ssam Bar and Craftsteak.

The sole problem I have with Resto is that the food is... er, a bit on the hefty side for everyday eating or for people who aren't total meatheads. In that respect, places like the Momos are a bit easier to deal with; there's a full range of options from light to heavy, and one can go for anything from a snack to a full-on blowout. Thus, I tend to find myself at Resto when it's late, I'm alone, and I'm hungry.

I've noticed this problem especially w/r/t summer dining. While they may be trying to adapt, it hasn't been so successful IME; I was having a drink here waiting for a friend and ordered the kampachi special, which seemed ideal for the weather, but I had the same problem with it that Nathan did. One (sorry, I) simply can't eat lamb ribs, pork belly, burgers, and steak all the time in 90-degree weather (or really at any time of year).

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

well, with the chef change, I'm curious to see what happens to the menu.

Me, too! And while it's stating the obvious, I'm sure many of us will also be keeping an eye on where Ryan ends up...all that porky goodness will be a treat come colder weather...

UPDATE: Apparently, Ryan has been helping out with the opening of Nicholas Morgenstern's new place in Fort Greene, called General Greene. It opens tonight.

Edited by LPShanet (log)