• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Momofuku Ko (Part 1)

BryanZ

And this on the main page:
please note you must show id that matches

your reservation info when you come in to eat

(wish we didn’t have to do that)

If memory serves me right, that notice wasn't there earlier in the day. I suspect they saw comments about rezys being sold on eBay—perhaps they even saw it right here—and decided they had to take action. Good for them.

I don't know about anyone else, but when it comes to reservations for a restaurant, I don't want to have to deal with it like I have to deal with Ticketmaster for hot concert tix... jmo.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The site simply doesn't work on a mac for me... the bot-denying image won't load. Anyone else?

Seems to work with my mac - are they already booked for tuesday or is it wednesday today ? i logged on at before 10am and everything was taken already.

Edited by fendi_pilot (log)

I don't know about anyone else, but when it comes to reservations for a restaurant, I don't want to have to deal with it like I have to deal with Ticketmaster for hot concert tix... jmo.

Assuming they fix the stability issues, the Momofuku website is certainly no more annoying than the ritual at Babbo or Gramercy Tavern: hitting redial 80 times, then waiting on hold for twenty minutes, only to be told there are no tables available. And at Ko, unlike those other places, the prime time tables aren't held in reserve for regulars and VIPs.

Some of the measures taken on the website are merely indicative of Chang's success. Otherwise, unscrupulous diners would be snapping up reservations and hawking them on eBay—as a few people already tried to do.

To those of you who have already been there, were people dressed up? I don't want to be under or overdressed! Thanks!

it's a Momofuku...you can be as casual as you want. I wore a velvet blazer on Saturday but that's only because I was going to a party after without going home...and it was hot enough that I stripped down to a tshirt right away anyway...

unlike the other Momofukus...they will check your coat. they haven't figured out yet what to do for women's purses though.

Assuming they fix the stability issues, the Momofuku website is certainly no more annoying than the ritual at Babbo or Gramercy Tavern: hitting redial 80 times, then waiting on hold for twenty minutes, only to be told there are no tables available. And at Ko, unlike those other places, the prime time tables aren't held in reserve for regulars and VIPs.

Some of the measures taken on the website are merely indicative of Chang's success. Otherwise, unscrupulous diners would be snapping up reservations and hawking them on eBay—as a few people already tried to do.

FWIW, I am a PC user and the bot-denying image is what shut me out for a good hour. Everything else was fine; I just couldn't see the alpha-numeric key.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

FWIW, I am a PC user and the bot-denying image is what shut me out for a good hour.  Everything else was fine; I just couldn't see the alpha-numeric key.

It has been erratic, no question about it. But I would not judge a website after 26 hours of operation, any more than I would judge a restaurant that way.

It's day 2!! They have had the reservations system up for two days. It's too bad that it's glitchy but I'm sure that they are doing everything they can to get that situation worked out as soon as possible.

I think it is completely unreasonable to be pissed off that you don't have a reservation at a restaurant by day 2. There is no other restaurant in NY where that would be a guarantee, even to regulars. There are only 12 seats- what do you ideally want them to do?

I'm really having trouble understanding the vehemence of this response.

I can only hope that over the next few days as people go to ko we can actually start talking about the food

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Does anybody know why they accept reservations for 1, 2 or 4 people but not for 3 people?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Does anybody know why they accept reservations for 1, 2 or 4 people but not for 3 people?

My guess is because they want to reserve the corner for a party of four (and figure dining in a row doesn't work for parties larger than two). But that's just a guess.

My guess is because they want to reserve the corner for a party of four (and figure dining in a row doesn't work for parties larger than two). But that's just a guess.

I like to imagine it's because they understand the stupidity of sitting at a food bar with 3 people and trying to have an inclusive conversation. It's the sushi bar phenomena. I really hope they keep this policy, I'm tired of trying to explain it to "the third person"

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

2 min and they're gone

funny

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

2 min and they're gone

funny

We have no idea whether any reservations were made available at 10am, because it's no longer possible to see the grid. Yesterday, no reservations were made available at 10am. Instead, some time around 2am today, those reservations showed up and were either immediately booked or had been pre-booked. Soon after, the grid was made invisible.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

2 min and they're gone

funny

reminds me of dialing for a tee time on Bethpage Black.

I didn't want to have dinner on Weds anyway :raz:

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

2 min and they're gone

funny

We have no idea whether any reservations were made available at 10am, because it's no longer possible to see the grid. Yesterday, no reservations were made available at 10am. Instead, some time around 2am today, those reservations showed up and were either immediately booked or had been pre-booked. Soon after, the grid was made invisible.

I did see a 6:45 reservation but I clicked the green checkmark, the screen refreshed to show all red X's and I assume someone else got it.

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I did see a 6:45 reservation but I clicked the green checkmark, the screen refreshed to show all red X's and I assume someone else got it.

I clicked on that one as well, but got a "could not process request" screen.

At 10:00 this morning I clicked on the request for 2 people, the grid had a green check mark for 3/19 at 7:30 so I clicked it. Then it went to a red x. I haven't received an email or anything confirming. For anyone that has made a reservation successfully is this how it worked?

I'm pretty sure that I did NOT secure that reservation.

Edited by flinflon28 (log)

So as far as I can tell, we have two "groups" arguing about this...

Regulars who take the moral high ground and absolutely do not expect to get anything for being regulars, would continue to patronize said establishment no matter what, take away all my perks, I'm still coming to your fabulous place, you wonderful chef you, yada, yada, yada.

and others who say that regulars are kidding themselves when they say they don't really expect any special treatment.

Probably never gonna convince one to join the other side, so let's talk about the food again at Ko...anyone been since the place has been truly open to the public?

Is Chang doing any of the cooking?

Will he be cooking always at Ko?

What's your favorite dish?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?