• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Momofuku Ko (Part 1)

BryanZ

Interesting stuff.

For a non new yorker, could someone put into perspective where this $170 menu with wine sits in comparison pricewise to some of the other top tables? 

It sounds like from what people think its a relative bargain?

$130 with wine, I was including tax and tip.

it's perfectly fair and equivalent to similar tasting menus with similar levels of ambition....

Interesting stuff.

For a non new yorker, could someone put into perspective where this $170 menu with wine sits in comparison pricewise to some of the other top tables? 

it's perfectly fair and equivalent to similar tasting menus with similar levels of ambition....

The only better deal is Kitchen Counter at Beacon - but that's only once a week, 6 seats and isn't quite as 'creative' although it is very delicious and at $85 per person for tasting and wine is priced very very low for nyc standards.

Interesting stuff.

So would this compare say to Atelier? I believe the price point there is much higher, like $190?

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Interesting stuff.

So would this compare say to Atelier? I believe the price point there is much higher, like $190?

$190 base. then maybe another $80-100 for wine, $30 for tax, $75 tip. so about $400.

I received the following via email from Momofuku just now:

the momofuku ko reservation site will launch tomorrow, 3/11/08, at 10:00 AM.

You will need to create a new account.

If you have any questions please feel free to shoot us an email.

Thanks!!!

https://reservations.momofuku.com/

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

its back up! score!

__________, you reserved 2 seats on 3/14/2008 at 07:30 pm

if you are going to be late call __________ and leave a message

unfortunately if you are going to be more then 15 minutes late we will have to give up your spot out of respect for the guest arriving after you

If you would like to cancel your reservation please click on the following link:click here to cancel your reservation

please note we will do our best to accommodate special needs and food allergies however because our menu changes from day to day we will sometimes be unable to significantly alter your meal

Edited by catsrus9 (log)

I wonder why they didn't just sign up for the OpenTable service.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I wonder why they didn't just sign up for the OpenTable service.

Indeed, I wonder that too. I used to be a computer programmer. There's always this great temptation to waste your time on problems other people have already solved.

Money quote from the Eater comments:

Oh wait I get it now. In keeping with the whole concept of the restaurant, they've put the reservation system on a server that only can handle 12 people at a time!

opentable charges $2500 a year minimum.

if they have someone in-house who can put together the site (not that difficult with available web-authoring tools) or someone willing to do it for a discount or for services in kind (likely)...they can do it for substantially cheaper than that. and organize the setup exactly the way they want.

Edited by Nathan (log)

Assuming you're not running the amateur hour, you need at least three servers: production, test/backup and development. Plus a huge amount bandwidth, cost of development and maintenance, and professional management. I'd like to know where you think that's available for $208.33 a month.
if they have someone in-house who can put together the site (not that difficult with available tools)....

We are seeing right now just how difficult it is. Edited by oakapple (log)

Assuming you're not running the amateur hour, you need at least three servers: production, test/backup and development. Plus a huge amount bandwidth, cost of development and maintenance, and professional management. I'd like to know where you think that's available for $208.33 a month.
if they have someone in-house who can put together the site (not that difficult with available tools)....

We are seeing right now just how difficult it is.

that's ludicrous. it's a restaurant with 12 seats. they're not running three servers...just one, if that, for all I know they're just virtually hosting it (which would make sense).

obviously they don't have a huge amount of bandwith.

that's ludicrous. it's a restaurant with 12 seats. they're not running three servers...just one, if that, for all I know they're just virtually hosting it (which would make sense).

obviously they don't have a huge amount of bandwith.

Well, even supposing you did it with just one server, I doubt you get all that for $208.33 a month. But in that case, of course, just wait till the time you want to enhance or modify it—trust me, that will happen—and you have no "sandbox" to work in. Amateur hour indeed (if that's what they did).

oh, I agree that they probably should have gone with an existing solution (i.e. opentable).

but it's not hard to guess what happened:

Either of:

A. someone there can build a page with web-authoring tools, or someone offered to do it for food or a discount. you can buy a basic server and peripherals for $800 or less. internet access: $30-100 a month. boom...substantially cheaper than opentable (especially after the first year); or

B. someone there can build a page with web-authoring tools, or someone offered to do it for food or a discount. virtual hosting (with backup)...$200 a month or less. same price as opentable essentially...but they have control.

obviously, that's assuming the setup works. but it's not hard to see that was probably the mindset.

David (Chang) -

http://www.mediatemple.net/webhosting/gs/

(MT's Grid Server hosting is located on a computing cluster. Bandwidth, storage, and CPU demands increase ON DEMAND. Not so much relevant because they went with a Microsoft web server, which just sucks overall, but honestly, the site is not exactly rocket science....)

thank me later!

Edited by raji (log)

oh, I agree that they probably should have gone with an existing solution (i.e. opentable).

but it's not hard to guess what happened:

I think you're right. They thought they had something that was less expensive than OpenTable, with the extra plus that they'd have total control. They're learning the hard way that it's not as easy as it looks.

Looks like DC dropped beer on the server.

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Noticed this in the help file:

q: can i make a reservation for someone else?

a: no, you are only supposed to make reservations for you. we don't want to start cross checking id at the door but we will notice if one person is making reservations for others.  if that happens then we'll ask you to stop.

And this on the main page:

please note you must show id that matches

your reservation info when you come in to eat

(wish we didn’t have to do that)