• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Momofuku Ko (Part 1)

BryanZ

And it is down now.

My guess it wasn't supposed to be live yet and when they had everyone booking reservations for tonight they quickly pulled the plug.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Just for entertainment value, I thought I'd post my (status unknown) reservation confirmation email from earlier today:

gallery_1_295_39233.jpg

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Just for entertainment value, I thought I'd post my (status unknown) reservation confirmation email from earlier today:

Is there any chance that it's legit? I assumed that the system was up just for testing and the reservations would get wiped from the system before it goes live for real. But... the 12th is the first date that they're supposed to be done with the F&F. Hmmmmm...

I'm certainly hoping they'll honor it but I'll also understand if they don't.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

This email just in from "momofuku dev server":

hello

during testing today the location of our development server was discovered and inaccurately publicized as the authentic momofuku ko reservation system.

the reservation and user account you made was made on that development server and therefore it not valid.

an opening date for the restaurant has not been set yet.

the reservation system for the restaurant is not online yet.

when the momofuku ko reservation system is put online we will personally notify you via email.

we apologize for any confusion.

we appreciate your support.

we look forward to seeing you.

The following is a live account of my meal at ko. Chicharron and a rose cava to start. First dish is stellar fluke in buttermilk with sriracha. Marvelous pairing with a sancerre. Next pairing looks like it will be a sake. It is. Pork belly with oyster and napa cabbage in a kimchee consommé. All good but the consommé is amazing and subtle. Don't get the pairing. One negative. Btw. The open kitchen and small space makes things hot. Dress accordingly. Still thinking about that consommé. A characteristic Sauvignon Blanc paired with the egg and hackleback caviar. Basically a standard haute dish. Well executed.

next part: scallop with ham dashi, nori, Manila clams and sea beans. Nice. Well paired with a mersenne? Good dish but general ssam bar level

Ok. Shaved foie with a Riesling gelee, lychee and something crunchy. Paired with a dessert sake in a twist on the classic Sauternes pairing. Mind blowing, terrific. Dish of the year. Seriously. Last meal condemned type dish. Just nuts.

im so jealous...I want to go....goddam momofuku for teasing me with their rescinded reservations....Now I don't even know when the site is going to go up for real....

Sigh :(

Loving the report though. Keep it coming, Nathan!

Short rib with daikon, carrot. Correctly paired with an all tempranillo Rioja. Interesting dish. Not cooked to the following apart stage. Seems seared actually. Not really comparable to say Grayz or Monday Room. Different dish. Works on its own terms.

sorry. I don't take pics in restaurants. Generally try to keep a low profile.

And you think that telling Cory that you're live blogging your meal via iPhone is an effective means of being low key? :laugh:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com