• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Momofuku Ko (Part 1)

BryanZ

Straight from Chef Chang himself, via Eater, Momofuku Noodle Bar will become Momofuku Ko.

Noodle Bar as it exists right now is bursting at the seams. Not just with people waiting for a stool (sorry about the waits, but there’s good news ahead for you) but with water, electricity, everything. We need to do 200 fewer covers a day for that place to be operating comfortably. To do that, we need to take out a bunch of seats and control the number of people who eat there, which means taking reservations (or maybe taking reservations: part of the frustration with people blabbing about restaurants that don’t exist yet is that the restaurants don’t exist yet, so hard and fast policies are not in place.)

We have absolutely no aspiration to make it into a “fine dining” restaurant, but we’re shortchanging our baby, our spiritual home, by running it too hard right now. No mas.

At Momofuku Ko, we’ll showcase everybody’s cooking, to make it work as a collaborative kitchen.

Interesting if I say so myself. Noodle Bar fans need not worry, as it will be relocated in a bigger space one block uptown. David Chang is pretty sweet for putting up a fake "sports bar" menu in the space that will hold the new Noodle Bar.

Of course, Chef Chang doesn't want people talking about this place. I'll leave that up to you guys to decide.

How has this thread gotten no responses???

Anyway, I think this is a very interesting development and given the hype surrounding Chang and crew it is amazing that this news was not leaked earlier, especially given that they plan on opening this summer.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

the general outlines of this have been known through the grapevine for some time.

I don't know that there's much to post about right now. I'm sure most of us will be enthused to check it out and see what they have up their sleeve. but until they open, what's there to say?

I have it on the best authority that Momofuku Ko is intended to be a type of performance art. both the room and the food will be a direct facsimile of Gordon Ramsay at the London. and it will be twice the price. Chang secured a McArthur grant for this purpose.

and it will be twice the price. 

What does 2xinfinity equal?

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

• 9 months later...

Only 14 seats? wow...good luck eating there anytime soon. Sounds vaguely familiar to what Schwa in Chicago was like.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Schwa was the bane of my existence this past summer.  Had my reso canceled on me twice, had to reschedule once myself, then it closed.  I hope I can get to the new version.

Lets hope for your sake this doesn't become the bane of your existence....

• 3 weeks later...

I had the honor of previewing the tasting menu with the wine pairing last night with Johnder and a couple friends. Here's what we had (to the best of my memory):

gallery_26869_3885_5203.jpg

House made Chicharrón with Togarashi amuse

gallery_26869_3885_3019.jpg

Fluke Sashimi with Spicy Buttermilk, Toasted Poppy Seeds, and Chives.

gallery_26869_3885_12927.jpg

Kimchi Consomme with Malpec Oyster, Pork Belly and Braised Cabbage

gallery_26869_3885_3595.jpg

Sous-vide Onions, Coddled Egg, Osetra Caviar, Potato Chips, and Herbs

gallery_26869_3885_7596.jpg

Scallops, Mussels, Pickled Fennel and Nori

gallery_26869_3885_11910.jpg

Shaved Foie over Lychees, Lychee Gelee, and Pineapple Brittle

gallery_26869_3885_15357.jpg

Kalbi Jjim - Fried Shortrib, Grilled Scallion, Carrots, and Mustard over Daikon

gallery_26869_3885_7789.jpg

Miso Soup and Lard Grilled Rice Cake over Pickled Turnips and Cabbage

gallery_26869_3885_12181.jpg

Pineapple Sorbet over Candied Pineapples.

gallery_26869_3885_2434.jpg

Fried Apple Pie, Miso Caramel and Sour Cream Ice Cream.

I guess this classifies as kind of a big deal. Not a chance of mere mortals sauntering up to the bar to snag a seat over the next couple days I presume? I'm hopping on a last minute flight home in a couple hours and would seriously camp out.

There are 12 seats total. Going to be a hot ticket, thats for sure.

From what I heard they started F&F last week and it will continue for a few more days.

edit: 14 seats actually, not 12.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

hrm, maybe it was 14. After making a little diagram to help me figure out where I was sitting and the seats around me I think there were 11 along the wall and 3 across the front now.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Some more pictures from last night

gallery_22527_2409_43720.jpg

gallery_22527_2409_43523.jpg

gallery_22527_2409_54271.jpg

gallery_22527_2409_59774.jpg

gallery_22527_2409_32278.jpg

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--