• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Aria Dawn

Aria Dawn

4 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I agree with what Kerry wrote.  I can't imagine a situation where you would need enough colored cocoa butter (of a single color) to use a Chocovision machine (recall that the machine needs extra to make sure the thermometer is covered at all times).  You can just follow one of the usual methods of tempering chocolate:  (1) raise the temp, then cool the c.b. down, then up again or (2) raise the temp, cool the c.b. down to around 93F/34C, then add seed (you could use fresh cocoa butter for that), then lower temp to 86F/30C, then test the c.b., you will have tempered c.b.  Just don't let the temp go down too low or up too high while using it or it will go out of temper.

Thanks.  I will try that method if I get any grave foreboding responses from anyone who's tried it with the machine.  😁

Aria Dawn

Aria Dawn

3 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I agree with what Kerry wrote.  I can't imagine a situation where you would need enough colored cocoa butter (of a single color) to use a Chocovision machine (recall that the machine needs extra to make sure the thermometer is covered at all times).  You can just follow one of the usual methods of tempering chocolate:  (1) raise the temp, then cool the c.b. down, then up again or (2) raise the temp, cool the c.b. down to around 93F/34C, then add seed (you could use fresh cocoa butter for that), then lower temp to 86F/30C, then test the c.b., you will have tempered c.b.  Just don't let the temp go down too low or up too high while using it or it will go out of temper.

Thanks.  I will try that method if I get any grave foreboding responses from anyone who's tried it.  😁