• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substitutions For Oil?

cheryl

I have an old family recipe for bran muffins that I recently rediscovered - not having made them for many years, I was surprised at the large amount of oil called for in the batter (the other liquid in them is milk, but oil is the primary liquid). They are moist and flavourful, but I would like to cut back on some of the fat, without wanting them to be dry (ugh- dry bran muffins :wacko: ). What could I use as a substitute? Will something like orange juice work? Suggestions?

I always substituted applesauce for part or all of the oil.

That was going to be my suggestion -- alternately, chopped prunes or some other "moist" dried fruit or fruit compote that would act as a binder. Somehow I don't think orange juice will bind as well, but I could be wrong.

I was going to suggest the prune puree too, I think they call it prune lekvar. 1/2 cup prunes with 1/4 cup water, blend in food processor. Use 1/3 cup to replace 1/2 cup fat.