• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cups And Their Customs (1863)

click here

This is an interesting book, with details about skulls being used as cups. The author seems to have a disdainful opinion of American drinks, was this a widely felt opinion in England at the time?

It is also good to listen to the mp3 of the book while you read, voice recognition is an interesting thing!-)

Cheers!

George

The author seems to have a disdainful opinion of American drinks, was this a widely felt opinion in England at the time?

I think a disdain for America in general was common in England at the time. Try Martin Chuzzlewit, for instance.

The author seems to have a disdainful opinion of American drinks, was this a widely felt opinion in England at the time?

I think a disdain for America in general was common in England at the time. Try Martin Chuzzlewit, for instance.

Some things don't change. :biggrin:

This is an interesting book, with details about skulls being used as cups.

Is there not a reference somewhere about drinking the blood of one's enemies out of cups fashioned from their skulls? Shakespeare? Mayan legend? Something?

Sounds like righteous solid vengeance to me.... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

This is an interesting book, with details about skulls being used as cups.

Is there not a reference somewhere about drinking the blood of one's enemies out of cups fashioned from their skulls? Shakespeare? Mayan legend? Something?

Sounds like righteous solid vengeance to me.... :smile:

There is nothing about drinking blood in this book, and the author restricts himself to the drinking habits of Celts and Anglo-Saxons.

As for the Mayans I think they preferred to drink Chocolate.